Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS3 Update makes many accessories worthless

Options
  • 23-09-2010 7:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,540 ✭✭✭✭

There was an update to the Playstation 3 a few few days ago that gave some new features and is required to get online, this update has also it seems made it so a lot of unlicensed USB accessories no longer work with the newer firmware. They may be to get rid of competition or prevent cheating with some controllers or to prevent piracy using any of the USB ports.

My question is if anything is bought after/before the update does a person have the right to any replacement or refund. Most shops add their own or some other cheap controllers to bundles that come with the PS3. This has be mentioned in the Playstation forum but i wanted to know the consumer rights side of it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

For items already purchased, I sincerely doubt it TBH, unfortunately there is a risk buying unlicenced accessories and you run that risk if you buy these products.

Regarding items sold after the update you may have an argument as, at that stage, the items were not fit for purpose intended.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,254 ✭✭✭ongarite

There is no consumer rights issue here from Sony point of view.
    The products that have stopped working are unlicensed, meaning they are totally unofficial products that have not paid a license fee to Sony for guaranteed compatibility and support.

You may have an issue if a shop was selling an unlicensed controller, seeing as its not fit for sale any more.

If Sony felt like it, they could pursue the manufacturers of these unlicensed accessories in court, like Apple do with unlicensed accessories

http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/devices/apple-cracks-down-on-unlicensed-accessories-in-court/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,540 ✭✭✭✭Varik

My first question was in relation to shops and not Sony, a second question is dealing with bundles that shops offer with a second controller that usually are cheap 3rd party ones, Does anyone have the right to ask for a discount or replacement for this controller and as none of these work now and i assume shops will still be trying to sell the worthless stock now.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

If it worked when you bought it, but doesn't work since the update, then AFAIK, the store has no responsibility.

When updating the PS3, it gives you the option to decline the update, and lists what the update will do. So, you are given a choice. If you accept the choice and update, then if the controller doesn't work then the store is not liable.

But, if the PS3 is updated prior to you buying the controller or component, then the item is not fit for purpose, and you are entitled to refund/replacement with something that does work.

That's my view anyway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Paulw wrote: »

But, if the PS3 is updated prior to you buying the controller or component, then the item is not fit for purpose, and you are entitled to refund/replacement with something that does work.

That's my view anyway.

That is correct. If the device worked prior to the update the store is in the clear UNLESS they stated the device was 'official' PS3 merchandise. A further caveat would be whether the device was bought in a Sony store which should not sell grey market peripherals....I doubt if any do though.

• Advertisement

Paulw wrote: »
    If it worked when you bought it, but doesn't work since the update, then AFAIK, the store has no responsibility.

When updating the PS3, it gives you the option to decline the update, and lists what the update will do. So, you are given a choice. If you accept the choice and update, then if the controller doesn't work then the store is not liable.

That's my view anyway.

You may decline the update but then you loose the right to play online.

So Sony are blackmailing you to install the update if you play online.

Advertisement