Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is GameSoc gay?

Options
  • 23-09-2010 7:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭

I went into the Freshers tent there yesterday with the intention of joining a few societies, GameSoc being one of them. I'm a big fan of video games (Call of Duty, Halo, Counterstrike etc) and always have been, and assumed that this is what GameSoc meant. Lo and Behold it's a bunch of grown men playing with gay little trading cards going OH MAI GAW MY CORD IS BETTER EXPERIENCED THAN YOURS HARHAR ( saw them in the science building) and little gay role-playing games where you run around with a foam sword and hit people. Are you fúcking kidding me? Someone set up a console society or something, I'm sure there are plenty of people out there who like their Xbox's and PS3's but don't want to be associated with these pure and utter nerds.

Rant terminated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Overature

You could try Sci-Fi soc, they really like there computers

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭bigred100

I went into the Freshers tent there yesterday with the intention of joining a few societies, GameSoc being one of them. I'm a big fan of video games (Call of Duty, Halo, Counterstrike etc) and always have been, and assumed that this is what GameSoc meant. Lo and Behold it's a bunch of grown men playing with gay little trading cards going OH MAI GAW MY CORD IS BETTER EXPERIENCED THAN YOURS HARHAR ( saw them in the science building) and little gay role-playing games where you run around with a foam sword and hit people. Are you fúcking kidding me? Someone set up a console society or something, I'm sure there are plenty of people out there who like their Xbox's and PS3's but don't want to be associated with these pure and utter nerds.

Rant terminated.

They play consoles on Tuesdays I think, I joined anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

Overature wrote: »

And isolated corners of the science building.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

I'm pretty sure LGBT society is the gay one...

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭I-Shot-Jr

Ah you know with this recession the gamesoc and lgbt had to join forces to conserve precious resources hence the super gay antics you witnessed.

But seriously theres a difference between gay and nerdy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

Nothing wrong with a bit of nerding, wouldn't be too interested in most of their activities myself though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Overature wrote: »

They also like Star Wars and Stargate and World of Warcraft.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 487 ✭✭muffinz

was that them sitting and hogging the tables outside theatre L all day today playing board games? Or was that just a bunch of nerds in general

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

Rant terminated.

Advantage of Gamesoc: They play all games
    Disadvantage of Gamesoc: They play all games.

They are not brilliant at anything in particular, but have a little bit of everything. I can empathise with your not wanting hoo-rah simulation to be sullied by foam swords but one of the points about college is that people are free to do what they want (unless they fall under the relentless gaze of Martin Butler who perches upon the top of the Tierney building).

I wish there was a pokersoc, console soc, paintball soc, chess soc etc. but gamesoc will have to do for all the above, I s'pose :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

You know if anything it's more of an asexual soc. After all, you'd only really join if you weren't planning on having sex.

*joins*

• Advertisement

You're supposed to expand your horizons in college and try new things, not just categorize anything slightly different from the norm as "that's gay lol"..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

the great thing about most colleges is hopefully you will adjectives other than "gay".

Grimes wrote: »
    the great thing about most colleges is hopefully you will adjectives other than "gay".

Another great thing is not dropping vitally important words in the middle of sentences, thus rendering your attempted insult futile :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

In an ideal world, Gamesoc would have a little area where you could go have a few games of FIFA or kill a few suckers in COD when you had a gap in lectures.

As I found out after my freshers week 2 years ago, this is not an ideal world.

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    In an ideal world, Gamesoc would have a little area where you could go have a few games of FIFA or kill a few suckers in COD when you had a gap in lectures.

As I found out after my freshers week 2 years ago, this is not an ideal world.

That would be so fúcking awesome! I'd pay up a tenner or whatever if that was the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Another great thing is not dropping vitally important words in the middle of sentences, thus rendering your attempted insult futile :)

Fairly sure the only one insulting around here is yourself.

Games Soc != Video Games Soc

You've learned that difference now. If this point troubles you so much you can find information about how to set up a society from the SU.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Some people like to play video games. I don't know why that is gay or should be considered gay. Different strokes for different folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I-Shot-Jr wrote: »
    Ah you know with this recession the gamesoc and lgbt had to join forces to conserve precious resources hence the super gay antics you witnessed.

But seriously theres a difference between gay and nerdy!

In my day there was quite the overlap in members between Gamesoc and the LGBT society :pac:

unknown13 wrote: »
    Some people like to play video games. I don't know why that is gay or should be considered gay. Different strokes for different folks.

I LIKE VIDEO GAMES MAYNE I NEVER SAID I DIDN'T, I WOULD EVEN LET WORLD OF WARCRAFT PASS BUT YUGIOH OR WHATEVER THOSE TRADING CARD GAMES ARE? COME AWWWWWN

I LIKE VIDEO GAMES MAYNE I NEVER SAID I DIDN'T, I WOULD EVEN LET WORLD OF WARCRAFT PASS BUT YUGIOH OR WHATEVER THOSE TRADING CARD GAMES ARE? COME AWWWWWN

Who cares.

• Advertisement

that hurt :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Rant terminated.

Hmmm I joined yesterday and I assumed what you assumed. Damn.......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

Dutch Gold Soc is where its at tbf.

Dutch Gold Soc is where its at tbf.

Hell yeah. What a soc.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭jfrmbray

Yeah I agree with ya,although you're quite harsh about it.I mainly just want them to run competitions so I can make eZ money(unless it's fifa:rolleyes:)

I've avoided it so far,don't want to embarrass myself in front of people in my course just yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭pljudge321

Grimes wrote: »

"Queer" and "Bent" are two other good ones I find.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

The gamers I know get all the girls all the time in all the ways one can imagine....nerds, yes. Gay, no.

Now get lost and take that childish attitude back to secondary school with you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Ah you mean you won't be taking part in the Game Soc's weekend convention
    Vaticon/Retacon? Good hate to be around such narrow minded people.

Oh god I'm in the beasts lair...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

I know why the OP is annoyed at with Gamesoc. It sounds like a society where you can play Xbox, PS3 etc but it is a bit different to that. It should be called Dress-In-Long-Black-Coats-and-Hats-and-Shout-A-Lot-About-Pokemon-Soc

That being said, you are being immature about it all. What they get up to is not my cup of tea, but you REALLY need to move past calling something you don't like as gay. It is a sign of immaturity and a lack of knowledge about the world. You will meet all sorts of people in life and learning to co-exist with them is a sign of growing up.

Though I will say that Gamesoc talking up all the seats across from Theatre L and acting like all round prats is a sign of immaturity too. I have a few stories I could tell about them!

Edit: Don't think I emphasized just how much you really should not call something you don't like gay. It is seriously not cool!

Advertisement