Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is GameSoc gay?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,612 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Hmm, it is true however that maybe gamesoc is too broad, and should be split to a certain extent maybe?

Like how much does playing cards and playing cod4 really overlap? It seems like many of the RPGs they do around campus are almost (however not quite) more suited to dramsoc.

Video Game society maybe wouldn't be such a bad idea, and I'd certainly support it.

To whoever said starting a society was hard, I point you to veg-soc and tatoo&piercing-soc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

errlloyd wrote: »
    To whoever said starting a society was hard, I point you to veg-soc and tatoo&piercing-soc.

Is there are tattoo and piercing society.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Given the huge effort and financial hit Gamesoc have taken in the last few years to make Video Games a big part of what we do, i think trying to split off a new soc because you don't like the other kind of games is a bit unfair. After all, gamesoc run 1 video games event a week, which is as many events as many small socs run total. There's not that much extra a VG soc could do.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,612 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Raphael wrote: »
    Given the huge effort and financial hit Gamesoc have taken in the last few years to make Video Games a big part of what we do, i think trying to split off a new soc because you don't like the other kind of games is a bit unfair. After all, gamesoc run 1 video games event a week, which is as many events as many small socs run total. There's not that much extra a VG soc could do.

I post from a completely uninformed angle Raphael so I do apologise for my ignorance.

However just throwing out there as extras there are a couple of possibilities. Anyone run intervarsity gaming events? Possibility of a fifa championship run internally similar to maidens debating?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

FIFA players are lemmings. PES is, and always has been, superior

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

Ha, I meant to sign up for Gamesoc but I forgot :P. Video games are the only thing I'm interested in really though, and if they're still on wednesdays this year I still won't be able to go *shrug*.

If you don't like the society, why'd you join it, OP? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

Yes I will admit I was SLIGHTLY immature, but I really was looking forward to it. A place where you could meet up with hundreds of fellow COD and FIFA players? Fúcking epic, putting money on games etc, it would have been awesome. You're hardly expecting me to come on and say "Well, good day Gentlemen. It is with great regret I inform you that the aforementioned society has not quite lived up to my expectations, however I will be civil and controlled and no insults shall be used".

No thanks, I'll stick with gay
    Hundreds? :rolleyes:

Can I point you to http://virgingaming.com/ (Yes, pun intended). Go lock your door, close the curtains, lash out the credit card and go pwn some foo' on Halo

Actually, your suggestion is quite good. You could have said "Huh, this isn't COMPLETELY what I thought it was. Is anyone else interested in regular video game nights, moreso than board games? Would the GameSoc reps on here be interested in helping me run more game nights?" and so forth
    *sigh*

If you're interested in Video Games come to the Video Games nights each week,that is,if you can stand to be in the same room as 'nerds' like myself.

I am on the Gamesoc Committee.I was Video Games Officer last year and I'm the Secretary this year.I have been inside the Fresher's Tent all week,being friendly and encouraging people to sign up.Many have.It is tiring,sometimes disheartening work, mainly because of people like you who laugh in your face and sneer at you when you ask them to join.

But you know what?I do it because I like Gamesoc.They are the main way I made friends in college.They are friendly, and the nicest people I have ever met.They have their own set of interests:What the hell is wrong with that?

If you're not interested in Gamesoc,fair enough.But who the hell do you think you are to come on to a public forum and belittle,mock and bitch about a society that you don't like?

Cop on.
    A girl? Playing video games? Geeeeeet outta here :P

Actually, tell me about this video game night... Wednesday might not suit me, though :(
    *EXPLICIT MOD WARNINGS*

Posting in caps, thats a bannin'
    Personal abuse, thats a bannin'
    Trolling to get a rise from people, you better believe thats a bannin'

*/WARNINGS*

Seriously lads, I can see this becoming a train-wreck, and I will hand out bans if need be.
    Bold text, that's a paddlin'

By the way, the people at the society stand were very clear about what games the society plays. I personally am more interested in video games than other games, until they told me about lunch time card games. You had me at Bulls**t, GameSoc <3

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Healium wrote: »
    A girl? Playing video games? Geeeeeet outta here :P
    She's not the only one, I used to run the video game nights about 4-5 years ago. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,247 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

until about 3 years ago :P

when do the Gamesoc have poker nights? been looking forward to making some money off people ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

Wow thanks for that insight, I wasn't aware that there were other forms of being gay.

Or maybe, just maybe, I was using one instance of when it is correct to use the word gay.

I forgot the ':p' i know what you meant!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

As a former PES devotee, I have to say that the current FIFA is king (well only if we ignore sensible soccer, the best football game ever!)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 BuzzFledderjohn

Liam O wrote: »
    until about 3 years ago :P

when do the Gamesoc have poker nights? been looking forward to making some money off people ;)

I don't think the schedule for this year's decided yet. Should be up soon. If you're signed up you'll get an e-mail, if not keep an eye on their website.
    errlloyd wrote: »

Like how much does playing cards and playing cod4 really overlap? It seems like many of the RPGs they do around campus are almost (however not quite) more suited to dramsoc.

You'd be surprised, there's a decent amount of crossover among the active members in the society, between each area. That said the fact that the society, by its nature will run any game they can (that people want to play) means that there'll always be things some people don't like, the important thing is to realise that just because they're doing something you're not interested in doesn't mean it's your problem. Just don't go to those events! problem solved. The broadness of the society is great in that most members who end up active in the society end up branching out into different things, and having even more fun.

To the OP:
    You should really give them a chance. If you don't like the idea of being around people who are playing other stuff then just come along to videogames. If you want to branch out, the option's there, but no-ones going to force stuff down your throat. If you can't stand the idea of even joining a society that has people playing other games then that's not exactly their problem. I was in charge of videogames for the society a few years ago and a fair few of the regular attendees were people who only did videogames, but it's not like we mind which event members do/don't want to go to!

If you want to give them a shot then go to a videogames night, if you enjoy it come to the next. If you don't then talk to the comittee, tell them what you're interested in/how you reckon things could be made better and they'll take that on. If you want something they don't do, then I know for a fact they'll try their best to hunt down copies and run it for you, and to be honest you really can't ask for much more than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Tea-a-Maria

Grimes wrote: »
    Speaking of the homosexuality of gamesoc rather than what games they play. I did notice over the past few years that there is more than one hot chick buried among the pirates and ninjas of the Theater L seating area.

As a female member of Gamesoc,this post intrigues me.
    <<
    >>
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Chet T16 wrote: »
    I forgot the ':p' i know what you meant!

Ohhhhhhh. I feel shame now. Off to the shame corner now.....:p

• Registered Users Posts: 41,080 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

dyl10 wrote: »
    I'm not going to lie, I did laugh when reading the first post in this thread.
    Be it right or wrong, it was humourous.

No, It was just plain stupid nonsense

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Einstein?

Johnnymcg wrote: »

You know what was really humorous? Reading what you mod!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

Johnnymcg wrote: »

/cry

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Ginja Ninja

OP, you obviously didn't inquire about our events.We're running a video games night every week this year and maybe some extra lan's extra on top of that [not my area so *shrug*]

Speaking as a committee member of Gamesoc this year and I do think I was one of those "Gay" people you saw in science playing a kid's game[Red hoody? if so,that's me].I'm a card gamer, sorry if that bothers you.I was at [and help set up] the video games night, I play in RPG's and I'm one of those crazy sword-wielding nut jobs you hate so much.

I [and anyone else you ask] would love it if we had a room with a console running all day, but college doesn't work like that.So we make do.

We're a Games Society all kinds,all the time. We've poker, CCG's, RPG's Video Games,Board games, we're going paintballing next month and a ton more besides.I know it can annoy people that we've effectively claimed 'the blob' [ the seating area beside Th.L] as our own, but it's nice to have an area we can reliably meet at and hang out. I've never heard of anyone being abused for sitting there or forced to move.It's a public place and we treat it as such.

So, in short, I'm sorry you got the wrong impression of us, we've over 400 members and try our hardest to please as many of you as possible, if you think we're not doing a great job or there's something you think is lacking tell us we[the committee] will try and sort it out if it's feasible.It's what we're here for.

Yours,
    -Alan, Card Games officer

P.S:If there's anything you want to say to me,I'm normally at the blob wearing a red hoody and playing that "Gay" card game.I'd be glad to take any queries or comments you may have
    P.P.S:Gay? We've good 50+ female members and tbh who doesn't love nerdy/gamer girls? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

This thread is like LGBT + Gamesoc unite against trolling boards poster.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Ginja Ninja

dyl10 wrote: »
    This thread is like LGBT + Gamesoc unite against trolling boards poster.
    First of many inter-society events :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

OP, you obviously didn't inquire about our events.We're running a video games night every week this year and maybe some extra lan's extra on top of that [not my area so *shrug*]

Speaking as a committee member of Gamesoc this year and I do think I was one of those "Gay" people you saw in science playing a kid's game[Red hoody? if so,that's me].I'm a card gamer, sorry if that bothers you.I was at [and help set up] the video games night, I play in RPG's and I'm one of those crazy sword-wielding nut jobs you hate so much.

I [and anyone else you ask] would love it if we had a room with a console running all day, but college doesn't work like that.So we make do.

We're a Games Society all kinds,all the time. We've poker, CCG's, RPG's Video Games,Board games, we're going paintballing next month and a ton more besides.I know it can annoy people that we've effectively claimed 'the blob' [ the seating area beside Th.L] as our own, but it's nice to have an area we can reliably meet at and hang out. I've never heard of anyone being abused for sitting there or forced to move.It's a public place and we treat it as such.

So, in short, I'm sorry you got the wrong impression of us, we've over 400 members and try our hardest to please as many of you as possible, if you think we're not doing a great job or there's something you think is lacking tell us we[the committee] will try and sort it out if it's feasible.It's what we're here for.

Yours,

P.S:If there's anything you want to say to me,I'm normally at the blob wearing a red hoody and playing that "Gay" card game.I'd be glad to take any queries or comments you may have
    P.P.S:Gay? We've good 50+ female members and tbh who doesn't love nerdy/gamer girls? ;)

RPGs?

Rpg7.jpg

Christ! Dont mess with Gamesoc. :eek:

Yours,
    Best. Title. Evar.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Firstly, I would like to apologise to the guy who said he was on the GameSoc committee. I honestly didn't mean to offend you in any way, I was just expressing my disappointment, albeit in a crude and exaggerated way.

To all those downers who are taking this thread beyond serious, I have a right to express my opinion in whatever way I see fit. If that means using and abusing the word "gay" then so be it. Please find it in your hearts to forgive my pitifully lacking vocabulary, and if possible take a moment of your time to try and stoop to my neanderthal level and grasp this simplistic concept I am trying to pitch to you.

As for the "Moderator" who posted this:

OP I can tell by your maturity that you're really going to excel in third-level education

Future nobel laureate here folks

We can all look back on this thread and say "I knew him when..."

Wow. Sarcasm really is the lowest form of wit. And maturity? People are mature enough in real life, where it matters, and as long as my immaturity doesn't break any rules then who are you to question it? I know personal abuse isn't allowed but that came pretty damn close. You know it's pretty damn sad when all people have as a comeback is "well you're immature".

I can't remember anyone else who made a dim-witted attempt to insult me, but if you really want to be hit with some plebian insults then by all means just ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Tea-a-Maria

Firstly, I would like to apologise to the guy who said he was on the GameSoc committee. I honestly didn't mean to offend you in any way, I was just expressing my disappointment, albeit in a crude and exaggerated way.

To all those downers who are taking this thread beyond serious, I have a right to express my opinion in whatever way I see fit. If that means using and abusing the word "gay" then so be it. Please find it in your hearts to forgive my pitifully lacking vocabulary, and if possible take a moment of your time to try and stoop to my neanderthal level and grasp this simplistic concept I am trying to pitch to you.

As for the "Moderator" who posted this:

OP I can tell by your maturity that you're really going to excel in third-level education

Future nobel laureate here folks

We can all look back on this thread and say "I knew him when..."

Wow. Sarcasm really is the lowest form of wit. And maturity? People are mature enough in real life, where it matters, and as long as my immaturity doesn't break any rules then who are you to question it? I know personal abuse isn't allowed but that came pretty damn close. You know it's pretty damn sad when all people have as a comeback is "well you're immature".

I can't remember anyone else who made a dim-witted attempt to insult me, but if you really want to be hit with some plebian insults then by all means just ask.

I'm pretty sure you don't,hence the reason why moderators exist.

I also find it pretty unbelievable that you didn't intend to cause any offence by mocking a person's interests.At least try and sound sincere when you're apologising.:rolleyes:

I'm pretty sure you don't,hence the reason why moderators exist.

I also find it pretty unbelievable that you didn't intend to cause any offence by mocking a person's interests.At least try and sound sincere when you're apologising.:rolleyes:

The first paragraph WAS sincere. As you can clearly see in the second paragraph I shifted the focus from the GameSoc guy to the others.

And yes, I was implying that I can express my opinion WITHIN REASON, and I've done just that.

Please find it in your hearts to forgive my pitifully lacking vocabulary, and if possible take a moment of your time to try and stoop to my neanderthal level and grasp this simplistic concept I am trying to pitch to you.

Wow. Sarcasm really is the lowest form of wit

I agree

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

That makes it sound like your insults are plebian...was that really what you intended to say? Just think about it for a second.

That makes it sound like your insults are plebian...was that really what you intended to say? Just think about it for a second.

Yes, it was a follow on from my earlier sarcasm, which Healium was quick to point out is quite hypocritical...touché

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

this thread is gay

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

Grimes wrote: »
    this thread is gay

No, THIS THREAD is gay.

Advertisement