Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband in Connemara.

• 23-09-2010 8:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

I currently live i Lippa, Spiddal out in Connemara. I am connected with Imagine through Eircom on apparantly a 3mb line (its so s*** its unbeliveable) I plan on moving house soon and would like to move further out into connemara (for even darker skies for astronomy) but a high speed internet line is a must.
    So what I am wondering is what kind of performance are people getting further out, anybody able to get 7mb+ lines, anybody using ntl/upc (i would love the 30mb line, which is cheaper than the 3mb I currently pay for :rolleyes:)
    Eircom told me I was able to get the 7mb line here before I moved in but told me I was unable to get it about a month after I moved :mad: (insert lots of profanity)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23 awedf

NTL/UPC Broadband only really available in major cities I highly doubt that they have conemarra cabled

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Pretty well every exchange out there has DSL but to reliably get any more than 3mbits requires that you are well within 3 miles ( road) of the exchange itself and most likely within 2 miles. I think Lippa is simply too far from the exchange to get 7mbits so do your research next time rather than listen to the saleman in eircom.

The next exchanges to the west are in Spiddal Inverin Casla and Carraroe. Bring a phone with you and check for soft dialtone in the new gaff, dial 199000 for the number talkback ...practice at home. Put the number in the line checker when you get home.

Airwire may have something available in that general area. Once you find somewhere really dark you will be so isolated that you will probably qualify for a cheap satellite service off the NBS but that will be severely capped and slower than 3mbits. I suggest that you look for a gaff in Inverin. The exchange is located at the police station/mast back there. Rent close to it and you should qualify for your stable 7mbits. Spiddal is a tad bright for astronomy. To get faster than 7mbits you will need to go miles back as there are no ADSL2 exchanges within 20 miles of Galway save for Rosscahill exchange past Moycullen.

This crap eircom map gives you the general idea

23.06.10%20Galway.jpg

You should plan on driving back there over the weekend to check light pollution and 'darkness' factors.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Shogun Assassin

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Pretty well every exchange out there has DSL but to reliably get any more than 3mbits requires that you are well within 3 miles ( road) of the exchange itself and most likely within 2 miles. I think Lippa is simply too far from the exchange to get 7mbits so do your research next time rather than listen to the saleman in eircom.

The next exchanges to the west are in Spiddal Inverin Casla and Carraroe. Bring a phone with you and check for soft dialtone in the new gaff, dial 199000 for the number talkback ...practice at home. Put the number in the line checker when you get home.

Airwire may have something available in that general area. Once you find somewhere really dark you will be so isolated that you will probably qualify for a cheap satellite service off the NBS but that will be severely capped and slower than 3mbits. I suggest that you look for a gaff in Inverin. The exchange is located at the police station/mast back there. Rent close to it and you should qualify for your stable 7mbits. Spiddal is a tad bright for astronomy. To get faster than 7mbits you will need to go miles back as there are no ADSL2 exchanges within 20 miles of Galway save for Rosscahill exchange past Moycullen.

This crap eircom map gives you the general idea

23.06.10%20Galway.jpg

You should plan on driving back there over the weekend to check light pollution and 'darkness' factors.

Thanks, thats quite helpful, spiddals not too bad for light pollution, I only live 1 mile down the road at the moment anyway and only plan on going about a mile or so the other side (I wouldnt be moving into the village itself) the skies are very dark from furbo onwards anyway. It looks like ill just have to settle for 3mb :( until eircom upgrade the lines outhere, I wont be holding my breath waiting for that though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

If you are going 'a mile' past spiddal you should get your 7mbits or most of it.

If you are moving to around Trá Sailín where the stargazers do gather that is 1.5-2 miles past spiddal and you will get 3mbits there most likely.

Advertisement