Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fuse box in hot press

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

I just think its funny when all the "so called" experts have a go at someone like myself who says a few practical words on the subject and yet those few words turn out to be the truth.The truth and also practical common sense too.

5.....? No

Add on another 28 years to that.

I,ll leave it there now,and I,ll let all the "so called" experts to argue and bicker some more now.

Regards.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,715 ✭✭✭✭altor

koolkid wrote: »
    I think the main problem here is they all seem to be contradicting what is allowed & what is not.
    As it has been established that the NSAI is the informed source I ofcourse accept what they say & do.
    Equally Altor I accept that they are telling you something different & you must follow what you believe is right.
    From my experience they have allowed it & they have inspected jobs without giving a non conformance.
    But consider this. We have all learnt today how useless something is in writing. With that in mind I myself consider a clean inspection report much better proof . I know you feel different , that fine.

I install the alarm to the standards I am certified too and the customer is entitled to expect if I give them a EN50131 CERT. You do it your way but if your inspector is giving you no non conformances then he is wrong. If you think by getting a clean inspection report you are right then you are fooling yourself and who ever you installed the alarm for.

If your inspector is so willing to give you no non conformance I cant see what the problem is with you ringing him tomorrow and getting a letter off him to state that all alarm installers can install alarms in the hot press with the consent of the customer.

I have it in writing from the ETCI that it cant be installed there and from looking at the first e-mail they sent you today it was in response to the one I sent them this morning, plus looking at the other e-mail responses you got, is he talking about a modified alarm or a EN50131 manufactured alarm ?

Original Message

To: colm
    Subject: Alarm panels

Colm,

to follow up my e-mail re above, NSAI, who produced the standard, state that the wiring should comply with the ETCI ET 101:2008 Rules, which prohibit everything except immersion heaters and auxiliary equipment associated with water-heating systems, in airing cupboards.

<snip>

Regarding NSAI and their standard, compliance would be a matter for certification if such a formal system exists.

Can you tell me what type of system is he talking about ?

Can you send on the first e-mail you sent to him ?

I am not trying to get at you here Colm, I just want to get this mater closed for good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

paddy147 wrote: »
    I just think its funny when all the "so called" experts have a go at someone like myself who says a few practical words on the subject and yet those few words turn out to be the truth.The truth and also practical common sense too.

5.....? No

Add on another 28 years to that.

I,ll leave it there now,and I,ll let all the "so called" experts to argue and bicker some more now.

Regards.

Yes but others here have said plenty of stuff at various times in different threads that is correct and the truth, but we never seen them come back to gloat in their ``see i told you so`` effort.

I thought this thread was very worth while, but now after reading your expert view i think everyones minds will now be at rest on this subject.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

I am not fooling myself or the customer here.
    They are being made aware & they are making the choice.
    I have been told by NSAI this can be done. We have agreed the NSAI are the ones that can make the informed decisions.
    As far as Im concerned I have it in writing for the work I have done so no one is being fooled. After all the insurance industry is willing to take a cert as proof. I am going one better & giving a inspection report with a job as proof.
    I have alread said I agree there are inconsistencies. I have argued many times with regard to some of them.

It looks like we may get something definitive on this shortly . If at that time the NSAI tells me it can't be done on existing systems then fine I will conform to that.

I do not know what system he is referring to there .

The first email was just basically asking about a panel in a hot press.
    here is the text of that.

Hello,
    I am looking for some clarification on the following

(4th edition ET101:2008 page 139).

"5556.1 Electrical equipment in domestic an airing cupboards and similar enclosures shall be confined to the following:

-an immersion heater and its associated wiring, but excluding switches,
    -auxiliary equipment associated with water-heating systems."

If all power supplies & batteries are removed from an existing control panel to a point outside of the hot press, is the control panel still considered electrical equipment?
    If so is there scope for the control panel to be moved & a line expander module put in its place?
    What is the situation with any externally powered ( 12dc or lower) devices.

Thank You

As I have said already I have no interest in getting at anyone or who is right or who is worng. I have no interest in trying to score cheap points with I told you so's etc...
    I too would like to see a definitive answer that applies to everyone.
    It is moreso confusing as our Inspector ,without mentioning names, would be highly involved in the creation of the standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Georgie Porgie?

• Advertisement

I think he was referring to the way you wanted to power the alarm control panel in the hot press, If thats the case then I dont think you got the letter we where looking for off the ETCI ?

If that is the case then I think you should make the call to your inspector tomorrow. If he is willing to give you the letter to allow any installer install an alarm panel in the hot press then that will be it.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

altor wrote: »
    I think he was referring to the way you wanted to power the alarm control panel in the hot press, If thats the case then I dont think you got the letter we where looking for off the ETCI ?

Read it again. He clearly states they is no distinsion between mains & low voltage.
    If that is the case then I think you should make the call to your inspector tomorrow. If he is willing to give you the letter to allow any installer install an alarm panel in the hot press then that will be it.

He has already given me this in writing in the form of an inspection report.
    I accept that as better than a letter. If you believe me accept it.
    I am not going looking for a letter when I have a certified job with a report of conformance signed by an NSAI inspector.
    How is a letter better than that.?
    We have seen how easily something in writing has been dismissed already, today.
    If you believe me can we move on from this please.

Read it again. He clearly states they is no distinsion between mains & low voltage.

This is what i was referring too.

Regarding NSAI and their standard, compliance would be a matter for certification if such a formal system exists.

He has already given me this in writing in the form of an inspection report.
    I accept that as better than a letter. If you believe me accept it.
    I am not going looking for a letter when I have a certified job with a report of conformance signed by an NSAI inspector.
    How is a letter better than that.?
    We have seen how easily something in writing has been dismissed already, today.
    If you believe me can we move on from this please.

Thats a NO then. If you are so confident that you are allowed install the alarm panel in the hot press then why wont you get the letter off him :confused:

I don't read it like that at all.
    He states there is no distintion between voltages, so it is irrelevan as to where the panel is powered from.
    He then goes on to say Alarms are not covered anyway. Now I know that has changed but upto this point it was very clear.
    Thats a NO then. If you are so confident that you are allowed install the alarm panel in the hot press then why wont you get the letter off him :confused:
    Because I already have better than a letter.
    What there to be confident about?
    The system is installed ,certified & passed an inspection. All this is from , what we have agreed, is the only body qualified to make the decision.

I don't read it like that at all.
    He states there is no distintion between voltages, so it is irrelevan as to where the panel is powered from.
    He then goes on to say Alarms are not covered anyway. Now I know that has changed but upto this point it was very clear.

Yes he does and it has changed but you gave him the impression you where going to modify the panel. Clearly making his comments irrelevant as no such system exists.

He even felt he needed to clarify things with you by saying :

Colm,

to follow up my e-mail re above, NSAI, who produced the standard, state that the wiring should comply with the ETCI ET 101:2008 Rules, which prohibit everything except immersion heaters and auxiliary equipment associated with water-heating systems, in airing cupboards.
    Because I already have better than a letter.
    What there to be confident about?
    The system is installed ,certified & passed an inspection. All this is from , what we have agreed, is the only body qualified to make the decision.

It is only better than a letter in your eyes, I would like you to get the conformation that all installers can install alarms in the hot press like you say.
    I will refer to the contacts provided and the NSAI for some definitive clarifications on this.

You have said you will get on to the relevant bodies and now you wont :confused:

Anyway Colm, I will leave it up to you what you want to do but not asking the NSAI for the letter to clarify that this can be done does not back up your claim it can..

• Advertisement

Yes he does and it has changed but you gave him the impression you where going to modify the panel. Clearly making his comments irrelevant as no such system exists.
    Such a system can exist .It could also be referring to a line expander, a keypad or a number of othe low voltage devices.
    He has clearly stated that
    1> Voltage was irrelevant
    2> Alarms were not covered (at his time of writing)

How could any impression I gave him have affected his decision on that?

He even felt he needed to clarify things with you by saying :

I believe that clarification came because of discussions with another person or possibly the NSAI. As I have shown above how the panel was to be installed was clearly irrelevant. His further communication confirms this as he is also seeking clarification on the matter.
    It is only better than a letter in your eyes,
    Obviousally!
    I am hardly going to speak for anyone else.
    But it makes sense ,in my eyes,that a signed official document is better than an email or letter.
    I would like you to get the conformation that all installers can install alarms in the hot press like you say.
    I have already been told that its OK. To further confirm this I have had the the job certified and passed by an inspector. The inspector in a very prominent figure in the NSAI. I am more that happy that suffices for now.
    If you want something further from NSAI , to sadisfy your own needs then that up to you .
    You have said you will get on to the relevant bodies and now you wont :confused:
    I have already asked an NSAI inspector the situation on this.
    The NSAI Inspector has informed me it was acceptable with the customers written consent.
    The NSAI Inspector has Inspected the job & the NSAI Inspector has passed the job with no non-conformities.
    To date the NSAI inspector has not contacted me to say anything has changed or this is no longer acceptable.
    If that happens I will ,ofcourse comply with whatever the procedure is.
    You and I have agreed that after recent revelations that the NSAI is the sole body responsible for this.
    So does the above not count or do you simply not believe my account?
    If you believe my version of this then are you saying the when an inspector signs a document he is not doing so on behalf of the NSAI?
    To me he is representing the NSAI & therfore he has passed this on their behalf. If this were a court case I believe all my evidence would stand up better than a letter or an email.
    I have also took the time to contact ETCI in a bid to clarify things further.
    As you can see this is still ongoing & I await the outcome of that also.
    Anyway Colm, I will leave it up to you what you want to do but not asking the NSAI for the letter to clarify that this can be done does not back up your claim it can..
    It is not a claim it is a fact.
    If you want to meet me I will show you the inspectors report & bring you to the property during the next service.

You do as you see fit then, If the alarm was installed to the proper standard you would not need to be getting the customer to sign off on anything. That says a lot in itself. I know I am right the with regard how an alarm system should be installed or upgraded with regard the hot press. I am not on here to get into a bicker with you with regard the rights and wrongs of how the alarm system should be installed if it is installed to the EN50131 standard as with all the years experience you have in the industry you should know by now.

The alarm is certified to EN50131 by the NSAI & has been inspected & stated to conform to that standard.
    You yourself have stated the NSAI is the final word on this. Yet now you don't want to accept a decision they have made.
    Am I lying?
    Is the inspector lying?
    Are you lying.

Here are the facts yet again.
    The system is installed in the hot press.
    The system was inspected and reported on with no non conformities.
    The System was Certified to EN50131.

I am happy with that,
    the NSAI are happy with it (I have a signed official document to prove that)
    The insurance company are happy with it.
    The Guards are happy with it.
    All the above are happy that this system conforms & yet you are trying to say you know better than the very organisation you say has the final word on this.

As I have all the paperwork in place & this job has passed an inspection by the NSAI, I must request that you refrain from making any further comments on a public forum suggesting my work is not up to the standard.

If that is the case then please provide a letter from the NSAI to state that an alarm system can be installed in a hot press ?

I have told you I have a cert & I have the inspectors report.
    Everyone that matters accepts that.
    I have paperwork from the NSAI saying this alarm conforms. I have offered to show it to you.
    As I have all the relevant paperwork for this job I am not oblidged to get a letter from anybody to prove to you my work is up to standard.
    That is the NSAI's job, not yours.
    If you refuse to accept this then please be man enough to call me a liar.

Who said you are a liar :confused:

You say the insurance company are happy with it.

Why would they be looking at the panel in the hot press ?

If the panel being installed is against the ETCI regulations would that not effect the insurance policy in the event of a fire in the hot press ?

Who said you are a liar
    I say the system is up to standard
    The NSAI say the system is up to standard.
    You are saying it is not.
    Someone is lying??:confused:
    You say the insurance company are happy with it.

Why would they be looking at the panel in the hot press ?
    What I am saying is the insurance companies are happy to accept the decision of the NSAI.
    If the panel being installed is against the ETCI regulations would that not effect the insurance policy in the event of a fire in the hot press ?
    Have we not established that ETCI regs does not cover alarms?
    Its the NSAI decision , yes?:confused:

I hope your not calling me a liar ?

What I am saying is the insurance companies are happy to accept the decision of the NSAI.

The question still stands :

Have we not established that ETCI regs does not cover alarms?
    Its the NSAI decision , yes?:confused:

The mains wiring of the alarm has to be up to the ETCI regulations :

NSAI, who are responsible for the Irish Standard, state that the installation must comply with the National Rules. The National Rules prohibit every thing in an airing cupboard except immersion heaters and auxiliary equipment associated with heating systems.

That does not mean someone is lying, just difference in opinion or mistaken belief which could be on the NSAI`s(inspectors) part.

I hope your not calling me a liar ?
    I asked a question , I did not make a statement. So ,obviousally, I did not.!
    We have already established that it is the NSAI who apply the regulations , not the ECTI. It is the NSAI's decision .
    In the same way it was their decision to accept my system as up to standard.
    The mains wiring of the alarm has to be up to the ETCI regulations
    From the ECTIs point of view this does not apply to alarms.
    However, the Rules do not apply to other services (e.g. alarm. communications equipment. Furthermore the Rules apply only to new work (including complete rewiring, and new extensions.
    After that its the NSAIs choice to enforce this. As ECTI have said
    We cannot dictate to NSAI, but we may advise them

We really are going around in circles again. Lets try to summerise please.
    The NSAI are responsible for this not ETCI . If it were ETCI's decision alarms would be allowed in the hotpress anyway.. In my experience the NSAI can/have certified my job to standard with a panel in the hot press.
    I have offered proof of this.
    As you accept the NSAI are the last word on this what exactly are we still debating?

• Advertisement

robbie7730 wrote: »
    That does not mean someone is lying, just difference in opinion or mistaken belief which could be on the NSAI`s(inspectors) part.

You are right robbie. But when someone uses that mistaken belief to make untrus suggestions about someons work that different.

We have already established that it is the NSAI who apply the regulations , not the ECTI. It is the NSAI's decision .
    In the same way it was their decision to accept my system as up to standard.

I will rephrase it for you..

If the panel being installed is installed with the NSAIs wavier would that effect the insurance policy in the event of a fire in the hot press ?
    From the ECTIs point of view this does not apply to alarms.

This is not true going by the response to the reply I got when I asked him about your e-mail

To correct any misunderstanding, the Irish Standard for alarms requires the wiring to be on accordance with the National Rules, not vice- versa. Therefore, an alarm panel should not be installed in an airing cupboard. Where a panel was installed in an airing cupboard previously, it would be good practice to remove it.

However, the Rules do not apply to other services (e.g. alarm. communications equipment. Furthermore the Rules apply only to new work (including complete rewiring, and new extensions.
    After that its the NSAIs choice to enforce this. As ECTI have said
    [/I][/COLOR]

How can a system be classed as certified if the wiring is not up to standards :confused:

NSAI, who are responsible for the Irish Standard, state that the installation must comply with the National Rules. The National Rules prohibit every thing in an airing cupboard except immersion heaters and auxiliary equipment associated with heating systems.

In any case a "hot press" is not a suitable location for any kind of panel, for fire hazard reasons.

We really are going around in circles again. Lets try to summerise please.
    The NSAI are responsible for this not ETCI . If it were ETCI's decision alarms would be allowed in the hotpress anyway.. In my experience the NSAI can/have certified my job to standard with a panel in the hot press.
    I have offered proof of this.
    As you accept the NSAI are the last word on this what exactly are we still debating?

I agree with you that if it where up to the ETCI then this would not be an issue but you are still upgrading alarm panels into the hot press knowing that it is against the EN50131 STANDARD :confused:

Are you afraid of the answer you might get in response if you ask for the letter ?

I will rephrase it for you..

If the panel being installed is installed with the NSAIs wavier would that effect the insurance policy in the event of a fire in the hot press ?
    No I don't believe it would.
    This is not true going by the response to the reply I got when I asked him about your e-mail

To correct any misunderstanding, the Irish Standard for alarms requires the wiring to be on accordance with the National Rules, not vice- versa. Therefore, an alarm panel should not be installed in an airing cupboard. Where a panel was installed in an airing cupboard previously, it would be good practice to remove it.

Read it again. The Irish standards for alarms requires it. These are the NSAI's standards. In the same way the NSAI have chosen to accept certification with the owners consent.
    You are just asking the same question over & over.
    Its been answered. The NSAI are responsible . They make the rules. They have certified & inspected this job.

How can a system be classed as certified if the wiring is not up to standards
    Same question again . See all previous answers.

o follow up my e-mail re above, NSAI, who produced the standard, state that the wiring should comply with the ETCI ET 101:2008 Rules, which prohibit everything except immersion heaters and auxiliary equipment associated with water-heating systems, in airing cupboards.

Again this clearly tells you it a requirement by the NSAI
    The same body who have certified the system in question
    I agree with you that if it where up to the ETCI then this would not be an issue but you are still upgrading alarm panels into the hot press knowing that it is against the EN50131 STANDARD
    The NSAI tell me it is ok.
    That is good enough for me.

Are you afraid of the answer you might get in response if you ask for the letter ?
    I have already asked & I have already got the answer, the system was certified & passed by an inspector. The question has been answered. What could I be afraid if I have it all in documentation?
    When our inspector comes to me & tells me this is not acceptable then I will ofcourse accept it & comply with their regulation & requests.
    As of now I am working with NSAI's guidelines & instructions.
    If they are telling me this is ok, then that is what I accept.
    I really don't see any benefit of constantly going over & over the same thing. As I see it you are not accepting what the NSAI are telling me.
    To be honest that does not affect me or change the fact that the system is certified & passed by them.

No I don't believe it would.

I would have to disagree as the installation is not installed to the EN50131 STANDARD. How could the cert be valid ?

[/COLOR]
    Read it again. The Irish standards for alarms requires it. These are the NSAI's standards. In the same way the NSAI have chosen to accept certification with the owners consent.
    You are just asking the same question over & over.
    Its been answered. The NSAI are responsible . They make the rules. They have certified & inspected this job.

I think you should read it again, it clearly states that the national rules not the NSAI govern this..

The NSAI tell me it is ok.
    That is good enough for me.

Your in the industry long enough to know what is in the standards but dont abide by them and even come on a public forum and openly admit it. That in my opinion does not look good especially for a moderator of the home security systems form.

All of this is still going over the same thing.
    The standard is the NSAIs and they say its acceptable.Furthermore they have inspected it and passed it.There has always been things that could be signed off by the customer and there always will be. I had an inspection once where a shop sign was installed over the SABB.The customer put in writing that's what he wanted.That job was passed. Now whether the NSAI employ their own discretion I don't know. But as I always work within the NSAI's guidelines and directions I am installing to their standards.
    If they say its up to the standard then you are not in a position to make such allegations that I am intentionally installing systems that are not up to standards.
    I now request you withdraw that allegation.
    With regard to fire risk. Every electrical item is some sort of fire risk.
    We are currently dealing with a well known manufacturer regarding a panel that started burning in a utility room.

Definitely true, not just the items, but every connection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

Definitely true, not just the items, but every connection.

-and a potential shock hazard

which is why i'd have mains panels down as electrical equipment/appliances
    and covered by the etci rules

anyhow i'm not totally clear myself-hopefully 2011 will report from ETCI for us sparkies anyhow

-as some important issues have been raised

All of this is still going over the same thing.
    The standard is the NSAIs and they say its acceptable.Furthermore they have inspected it and passed it.There has always been things that could be signed off by the customer and there always will be. I had an inspection once where a shop sign was installed over the SABB.The customer put in writing that's what he wanted.That job was passed. Now whether the NSAI employ their own discretion I don't know. But as I always work within the NSAI's guidelines and directions I am installing to their standards.

The NSAI has to obey ETCI regulations. From the ETCI website:

ETCI is the Irish Member of the International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC) and the European Committee for Electro-Technical Standardisation (CENELEC) and, as such, contributes towards the formulation of international standards which are subsequently published by NSAI as Irish Standards.

If they say its up to the standard then you are not in a position to make such allegations that I am intentionally installing systems that are not up to standards.
    I now request you withdraw that allegation.

You have said it yourself that it is not in the standards to install an EN50131 STANDARD alarm in the hot press. If it is please point out where I am wrong :confused:
    We are currently dealing with a well known manufacturer regarding a panel that started burning in a utility room.

Yes of course every electrical item has some risk of fire, maybe thats why the ETCI have this rule below which they e-mailed to you :

Colm,

He also took the liberty to email this on to me so there would be no confusion :

To correct any misunderstanding, the Irish Standard for alarms requires the wiring to be on accordance with the National Rules, not vice- versa. Therefore, an alarm panel should not be installed in an airing cupboard. Where a panel was installed in an airing cupboard previously,it would be good practice to remove it.

It is up to you what you do with all the information that is in this tread, I would suggest getting clarification off the NSAI on this mater.

Anyway keep it friendly i say, no point in getting bitter or anything like that, (says the one thats always arguing):D

• Advertisement

Anyway keep it friendly i say, no point in getting bitter or anything like that, (says the one thats always arguing):D

We are always friendly :D

Advertisement