Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sticky clean-up and suggestions.

• 23-09-2010 8:20pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Yesterday I asked in a thread not to discuss about the sticky situation (I couldn't resist) and I thank you for adhering to that. The reason I asked is because in a follow up to the recent Moderation Feedback thread, us mods were already in discussion on this issue. A number of points have been raised between our own discussion and the feedback thread:

LESS STICKIES?
    PARTS FOR TRADE: moving to the adverts section? Unsticky it?
    CHARTER: Merge with the FAQ?
    BROOMWAGON: To leave it or unstick it.
    IMAGES OF BEAUTY: unsticky?
    LINKS TO COMMON THREADS: Have it as part of a CHARTER & FAQ thread? Which threads? IMAGES OF BEAUTY, BOARDS JERSEY SIGHTING, HELMETS, SHOULD HAVE LEFT THE CREDIT CARD AT HOME?

We are looking to have stickies to a minimum. Please let us know any other ideas you may have.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

For me: Broomwagon, IoB and FAQ (with charter) are the only ones I would have. Loads of stickies is annoying, especially on mobile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

LESS STICKIES?: Yes
    PARTS FOR TRADE: moving to the adverts section? yes and sticky it.
    CHARTER: Merge with the FAQ?Yes
    BROOMWAGON: unstick it.
    IMAGES OF BEAUTY: unsticky?I like it as is, its like the boards show off zone, good for visitors...
    LINKS TO COMMON THREADS: Have it as part of a CHARTER & FAQ thread? Which threads? BOARDS JERSEY SIGHTING, HELMETS, SHOULD HAVE LEFT THE CREDIT CARD AT HOME?
    no view on this

One thing I would like to see is an events sub forum set up in the same format as the wiki where events are sorted by month but could be discussed in its own thread. That way when an event is added it stays there to be seen for the year. At the moment if someone posts up about an event thats not in the wiki it disappers until a few days before (unless its the ROK or W200) and can leave very short notice. A simular system works very well in ART.

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

LESS STICKIES? YES
    However, less stickies does not mean that that we should not consider new stickies. What type of stickie we want should be addressed.

PARTS FOR TRADE: Unsticky it?
    CHARTER: Sticky, get rid of FAQ merge into charter.
    BROOMWAGON: Yeah, why not. Credit card,sightings etc crop up regularly.
    IMAGES OF BEAUTY: unsticky - yes - see above.
    LINKS TO COMMON THREADS: No opinion.

Add a LOCKED EVENTS thread.
    This thread is controlled by the mods and simply gives a list and link (maybe to boards thread &/or event website) to events on in the next 30 days (maybe 14days?).
    Once the day has come, the item is deleted.
    Simple to implement, and given that is a locked rolling calendar there is little clutter. Useful as a onestop shop for cycling events of all disciplines. Matter of record only, rather than a discusion thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,461 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

sticky cleanup proposed

2 new stickies added

go figure

:confused:

get rid of them bar the faq for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Post images of beauty: Keep sticky as is
    Broomwagon: Keep sticky as is
    Bike parts for trade? -> move sticky to Cycling Adverts
    Stolen bikes -> new sticky in Cycling Adverts

Cycling Charter & FAQ - Merge under one sticky, keep one post per "section", i.e. Charter, Racing spoilers, Wiki index, Classic threads. For the wiki index post, copy all (30) links from Cycling wiki category into the post, and keep that index updated. It's duplication, but will improve the visibility a great deal. Lock thread to avoid people just chucking stuff on the end.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,701 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

sticky cleanup proposed

2 new stickies added

go figure

:confused:

get rid of them bar the faq for me
    Another one was unstickied at the same time, and the two new ones are temporary.

We want your feedback, but are unlikely to get it if this thread finds its way to the second or third pages

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Broomwagon: sticky
    Events: sticky

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

My €0.02
    LESS STICKIES?

Definitely, nobody reads stickies generally and they're in the way if you're on a small screen.

Move to adverts section

The FAQ has too much conversation

Maybe the Charter should be 4 posts long:
    Post 1: Charter
    Post 2: FAQ
    Post 3: Links to all the key threads (Credit card, images of beauty, Broomwagon, Aldi/Lidl, Boards Jerseys, Bike parts for trade, Documenting cycle lanes, whatever WW200/event thread is active etc)
    Post 4: A post about the Wiki including links/info/FAQ on how to use it

Update each post with new information rather than allowing new posts in it.

I'd think unstick. It's posted in often enough that it'll always be on or near the front page.

Same as Broomwagon.

LINKS TO COMMON THREADS: Have it as part of a CHARTER & FAQ thread? Which threads? IMAGES OF BEAUTY, BOARDS JERSEY SIGHTING, HELMETS, SHOULD HAVE LEFT THE CREDIT CARD AT HOME?

As above, put this in a master <Charter / FAQ / Wiki / Links to Threads> thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭ktz84

I think the debate should be about how many stickies are ever appropriate and then let space dictate what is appropriate as necessary.

My fear is that the space vacated will just be used to be filled with pet projects, sorry "temporary", threads. If that's what happens then it has been a wasted exercise.

Charter & FAQ are absolutely important that they are stickied however I agree they should be combined.

The rest I'm afraid should stand or fall based on their use like any other thread on here. How many people would actually sit down a go through every post in broomwagon or images of beauty. Only somebody with far too much time on their hands and for that reason I see them as pointless threads of themselves. If someone wants to create a new thread with their image of beauty then let them. I would far rather see it amongst the other posts where I might actually look at it. I wouldn't touch the other one with a barge pole.

The Charter & FAQ combined thread should be locked. All current extraneous information removed. A new thread created. Charter & FAQ discussion. A link should go in the Charter & FAQ locked thread to say any discussion/changes/proposals etc should be discussed in the discussion thread with a link to it. That way things are open and transparent and stickied information concise and relevant.

If you want to split bike related and non bike related chat then there is a simple way of doing. Create a new sub forum as at least that way newer members might actually be able to follow what's going on as different discussions will have their own thread instead of one big mess.

As for parts for trade. I don't mind if that is stickied in the adverts section as it at least tries to provide something valuable to all members.

Just my thoughts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I don't care what way yis wanna do it, just don't spoil any races in the process ;)

• Advertisement

ROK ON wrote: »
    Add a LOCKED EVENTS thread.
    This thread is controlled by the mods and simply gives a list and link (maybe to boards thread &/or event website) to events on in the next 30 days (maybe 14days?).
    Once the day has come, the item is deleted.

I agree to an extent, however if locked however people wont be able to post up local events without contacting a mod. I think having a link to a discussion thread is perfect as it would keep the list tidy. So I think let people post up an event with a description of it in a main board thread via link. That way in one short list one can see whats happening weeks or months in advance and also plan early events for next season, so I would disagee with the suggestion to delete events once they have passed as most are annual. I missed many cycles this year because of only hearing about them a week or so before. As I'm not in a club I like entering these events as they are my main source of group rides and boards is a great source for identifying which events to enter. I often plan weekends away based on where cycles are being held so I would appreciate as much notice as possible.
    But hey...... thats just me;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

For events, there is http://racestarts.at/
    It seems to be well updated.

Thanks for that Raam.
    (I'd still like one on boards though:o)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

LESS STICKIES?
    Yes. Keeping permanent stickies to a minimum means that the forum doesn't get cluttered up when we have temporary ones there.
    Make it an adverts stickie.
    Yes, stick FAQ beneath charter and clean up the thread.
    Leave stuck. Having it there at the top minimises off-topic and trivial threads.
    Leave stuck, nice showcase for the forum.

Yes to all.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I agree to an extent, however if locked however people wont be able to post up local events without contacting a mod. I think having a link to a discussion thread is perfect as it would keep the list tidy. So I think let people post up an event with a description of it in a main board thread via link. That way in one short list one can see whats happening weeks or months in advance and also plan early events for next season...

I like the collaborative approach rather than a locked thread. Either a thread or a dedicated wiki page might work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

@tonto and BW. The only reason that I proposed that an events calendar thread be locked was a supposition that that would keep it pertinent tidy and easy to use and manage.
    It would be a onestop shop to eyeball upcoming events. If people want to discuss the sportif, race, open boards meet then set up thread as the norm.
    If it is easier to leave it opened then fine by me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

el tonto wrote: »
    I like the collaborative approach rather than a locked thread. Either a thread or a dedicated wiki page might work.

What, like this one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

• Unsticky images of beauty
    • Merge FAQ and charter as lumen suggested
    • Leave broom wagon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭72hundred

Gavin wrote: »
    • Unsticky images of beauty
    • Merge FAQ and charter as lumen suggested
    • Leave broom wagon

N'ah other way around sticky IoB and leave BW off sticky. Why should the OT thread be stickied inside the cycling forum.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,701 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

72hundred wrote: »
    Why should the OT thread be stickied inside the cycling forum.

To stop people starting new threads for one-off or off-topic issues because they are unaware of, or can't be bothered to look for, the existing thread.

I think most forums that have OT threads sticky them for this reason

• Advertisement

If anyone has any further suggestions/comments, please note we will be closing this thread this evening.

Thanks

Beasty

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I've just unstickied it. If you've anything to say, do so now.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

Advertisement