Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ESB power cuts in Dublin: do they exist?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

There was a brief one around the time of the last thunderstorm (2-3 weeks ago) where I live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

In every area i have lived in,power cuts at some stage or other.
    Few months back power cut here twice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

Confab wrote: »
    Happened in Swords a lot when I lived there.
    +1

When I first moved to Swords we had seven power cuts in the first six months. I complained to the ESB and they said that it was due to locals throwing stuff at cables and they planned to bury them (the cables, but they should have considered the youths also). Since then it's reliable.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

In the past year we've had about 15-20 power cuts. Based in D15.
    Power cuts are a regular part of home life at this point - I work near home and they get cut off too but have installed a backup generator since the cuts are so frequent.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Fatswaldo

Btwndeyes wrote: »
    Does in the vicinity of power station get fed from there. where as others get power from the general grid. Thus if the station goes down does people lose they're power but the rest get the power from a different source. AFAIK.

Not strictly true. It depends on the voltage of the substation. Electricity is supplied as follows:
    National Grid operates at voltages of 400kV stepped down to 220kV and 110kV. The 110kv substations (these are the bigger ones) each feed a network of 38kV stations which in turn feed distribution network at 10 or 20kV The transformers on these networks then supply the power to homes at approx 240v.

So, if you live near a 38kV Station, its the one supplying your premises. If you live beside a 110kV station your supply could be coming from miles away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

I live beside a hospital. So no, my power never goes down.
    YET!

Ha, I love your cockyness, I'm 99.9% certain that the Hospital's generator isn't rigged up to supply your house when eventually the power does go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

there was a brief one in terenure on wednesday night

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Smokey Bear

One out in D15 Hollystown & Tyrrelstown area last night for apx 4 hours I believe.

Advertisement