Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Simple MS Word 2007

• 23-09-2010 9:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hi i have recently upgrated to office 2007.

My question is to do with headings, say i want heading 2 hello, 2.1 hi, 2.1.1 hi there, how is this achieved in word 2007. Maybe it was already configured for me in my last word 2003, because all i had to do was click header and the numbers came automatically

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 212 ✭✭TheQ47

echos wrote: »
    Hi i have recently upgrated to office 2007.

My question is to do with headings, say i want heading 2 hello, 2.1 hi, 2.1.1 hi there, how is this achieved in word 2007. Maybe it was already configured for me in my last word 2003, because all i had to do was click header and the numbers came automatically

Thanks

How about Numbering, in the Paragraph Group on the Home Tab? (I have Office 2010 now, but it's almost the same, I think).

Is that what you're looking for? If not, get back on with more detail.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 echos

Thanks for the reply. No in Word 2003, i would type a header and hit the style button and it would assign it a number, say 1 HELLO , then i would type a sub-header and hit the next style button and it would go 1.1 Hi, this structure would be seen in TOC automatically.

With Word 2007 it doesnt do this for me, hope this is clear

I also have another issue where when after typing a header, and hit enter to go to type text straight underneath, the cursor just goes to the next page

From the Word 2010 Help:

Customize a heading style

You can change the font and formatting of a heading style.
    1. Select the heading text that you want to customize.
    2. On the Home tab, in the Styles group, click the heading style that you want to customize.
    3. Make the changes that you want.
    For example, you can change the font, the size, or the color.
    1. On the Home tab, in the Styles group, right-click the heading style that you customized, and then click Update Heading to Match Selection.
    ZA010377278.jpg
    Every time you apply that heading style in your document, the heading style will include your customizations.

Any help there? I think that should do it.

yup but its not putting in the numbering before the header

echos wrote: »
    yup but its not putting in the numbering before the header

OK, if I'm being stupid, tell me, but, when you selected the Heading 1 (for example) in your current doc, have you previously set the numbering you want, before trying to amend the style?

• Advertisement

no treat me as stupid. All i know is that when i had word 03, it would do numbering automatically as soon as i type the title "Introduction" it would automatically assign as number 1 Introduction now if i want to put a subheading under introduction i would type "scope" and hit the next header button, and 1.1 Scope, it would put in the 1.1.

My second issue is annoying where after i hit return after header cursor goes to second page

OK, let me start again.

In a new document, type some text, and then click on "Heading 1" from the style group on the Home tab.

Now apply Paragraph Numbering to that Heading, by clicking "Numbering" or "multilevel numbering" from the paragraph group on the Home tab.

Next select the text, then right-click the Heading 1 style in the style group on the ribbon, and choose "Update Heading 1 to match selection"

You may have to update Heading 2, Heading 3, Etc., in the same way, but this should do it, I think.

got it thanks a million mate !

Advertisement