Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

IPF - worth it for a small club?

• 23-09-2010 9:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭

We had Sean Casey, from the IPF, as a guest speaker at our club tonight. He was very entertaining, and his work, spanning 50 odd years, is a delight.

We are a new club, only set up a few months, and I wonder if joining the IPF would be of any real value.

I'd appreciate any feedback from members of other clubs.

TIA.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭nilhg

We set up our club three years ago and joined the IPF, probably for no better reason than it seemed to be the thing to do and the only member we have that had been in a camera club before wanted us to.

On balance I think it was the right thing to do if only for access to the inter club competitions and the distinctions (I know, not to everyones taste). Our members enjoy the preparation for the various competitions, it encourages members to critique their own and others work, it lets the committee encourage less confident members to show something of theirs.

On the other hand looking back I think the support offered to us as a new club was patchy enough, probably partly our fault for not asking but something as simple as a list of people willing to come talk to new clubs or judge internal competitions might have made things a little easier till we got those connections made ourselves.

I don't think the affiliation fee is that much, I'd say give it a go and see what you can get out of it, if it doesn't work out then no much harm done...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

I think you need them on-board to be considered a serious club - to be honest, with all the benefits of having them involved, why would you not want them involved? Are ye within the Dublin-South Leinster area?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

I know that DCC had their liability insurance through the IPF which was a lot less than we could have found ourselves. The IPF does organise a lot of regional and national activities. You do have to remember that it is run by volunteers. As a new club if you want some assistance then you do have to ask. Personally I think it's a good idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

Thanks everyone for the replies, I do appreciate the feedback, as no one in our club have any previous experience of being in a "photography" club, and/or the IPF.

@Arciphel - not Leinster, but sunny North-West! :)
    Letterkenny Photography Club.

We're finding our feet atm, with a committee formed just two weeks ago, so it's all new ground to us.

Again, thanks for the feedback.

mrmac.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85 ✭✭steelydan99

If you need any help with anything committee related or even to help with your program content, just drop me an email. We have been through the "small members" stage and now boast a total membership of 55.

I can send you our current program and you can take any ideas you think might suit your club from it..

The IPF is well worth the money they ask, if you and your members are interested in the inter club competitions and distinctions and even the fact of meeting members form different clubs/ getting inspiration from other club members/ just socializing with people that have similar interests as you.

John <snip>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

Cheers steelydan99 - email sent.

Advertisement