Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone know of a way to improve wireless range on my netgear WNDR3700

Options
  • 23-09-2010 10:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭

I have 3 bars out of 4 of signal on the 2.4gHz downstairs when my router is upstairs..no problem here..can stream and play xbox live. however this does fluctuate quite a bit but never enough to cause problems.

On the 5gHz network, my XBL is glitchy and i cant stream through my xbox. I barely have 1 signal bar. Ive got a wireless N Microsoft adapter ont he xbox and its about 12ft away through the ceiling and one wall.

I understand the concept of 5gHz being shorter range than 2.4gHz etc but this is supposed to be a rangemax router which i bought for streaming on the 5gHz network and i cant even use it !!!

I had no such problems and better range with my older DGN20000!!redface.gif

Outside of moving the netgear router, is there a way I could set it up with my Intellinet router (which I thought I'd never again have to use!) so that my wireless is handled by the Netgear?

I could set it as an access point but this would assume I could rely on the wireless function of your basestation to be solid, or in my case, my wireless cable modem (Cisco EPC2425) In my case, i have the wireless function of my modem turned off (cause its crap!!) and im using my 3700 to handle the wireless.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

I think at this stage you could try connecting the Xbox via ethernet to the Netgear and (with DD-WRT installed on the Netgear) set the Netgear wireless up as a client to either the Cisco or the Intellinet's wireless. The Netgear as a client would probably create a more stable connection that the Xbox wireless adapter.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭KennyLegend

bhickey wrote: »
    I think at this stage you could try connecting the Xbox via ethernet to the Netgear and (with DD-WRT installed on the Netgear) set the Netgear wireless up as a client to either the Cisco or the Intellinet's wireless. The Netgear as a client would probably create a more stable connection that the Xbox wireless adapter.

Thanks man..I don't think I need to do this.
    I actually have everything working on 2.4ghz without a problem but the signal strength fluctuates a bit. The reason for my post is to see if i could set it up so that I can use the 5ghz band fir xbox streaming.

What I might do is use my other Netgear DGN2000 downstairs and configure it as an access point if needs be. Then again, I won't be able to use 5ghz with this!

Ps...I'm a bit slow to install dd-wrt on the netgear wndr3700 cause I have it configured now and it looks a pretty complicated process that could go very pear-shaped!!!

Advertisement