Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Lanterns needed

Options
  • 23-09-2010 10:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

I'm looking for a lot of Chinese Lantern flowers to use as decorations for a party. If anyone could point me in the right direction, I'd really appreciate it.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭redman

Lots on ebay

• Registered Users Posts: 28,429 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I think the OP is looking for physalis. There may be someone around with a garden full of them, but I think a florist is your best bet, they may be able to order some for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 robwhit

Hi, yeah it's not the balloon things that you light and send off into the sky. It's a plant. I think the latin name is Physalis franchetti. I know you can get them at the flower shop but it's not really feasable at 3.50 a stalk given the quantity I need. I know they can spread a lot in gardens so I'm just hoping someone needs to cut theirs back a bit.

Thanks for the replies

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

redman wrote: »
    Lots on ebay
    I got a good laugh out of this reply :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

robwhit wrote: »
    I'm looking for a lot of Chinese Lantern flowers to use as decorations for a party. If anyone could point me in the right direction, I'd really appreciate it.
    Thanks

Try your local fruit & veg shop for physalis, mine sell little tubs of them @ €1-99. If your in Dublin go to the fruit market.

• Advertisement

I grew some from seed. I can give you a plant if youre near Lucan.
    Just keep the seeds from the fruit and grow from them.
    Lovely plant.
    Slugs love it , mind :)
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28 robwhit

Thanks very much but I've no time to grow them, the party's in a few weeks and I just wanted to put them all over the place. Need loads. Thanks for your offer though.

robwhit wrote: »
    Thanks very much but I've no time to grow them, the party's in a few weeks and I just wanted to put them all over the place. Need loads. Thanks for your offer though.

Sorry, Im such a gosbhite, I just assumed you meant the plants :)
    :D
    ye know what I mean.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Have you tried the fruit and vegetable market in Smithfield? I'm pretty sure someone there will be able to help if you contact them in advance.

Advertisement