Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Audax Beginner

• 23-09-2010 10:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi folks,
    Just looking for some advice about a starter bike for doing long distance cycles. I am hoping to buy a bike in january with the bike to work scheme. i was originally looking at a GIANT DEFY 2, but now, i dont think its suitable (no clearance for mud guards)etc

At the moment i'am cycling my 99euro supervalue mtb, and have done the 120km Tour of Wexford, the An Post 90km in Dungarvan and the 120km Leinster Loop to try and get a few miles in my legs.

i would be hoping to spend around 1000 euro on the bike. Many thanks in advance for your feedback.:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭LastGasp

Hi Jerby, It all depends on what you will be comfortable on for 10-15 hours or more. There are all sorts of options in Steel, Aluminium, Carbon or even Titanium. Tifosi CK7 would be around your price range. Specialized Roubaix is recommended for comfort, but probably too dear. Many Audaxers ride "old school" steel frames with mudguard eyes etc, but others do the same rides on top carbon racers, with a small seat pack to carry the necessities. Ribble Sportive would be quite good - a bit over budget. You could look at getting a custom steel frame from Mercian or Dave Yates, and build up with Shimano 105 Groupset. Of course if it's bike-to-work you may be restricted to particular shops, which may be a problem.

In the end the most important thing is the fit and set-up of the bike, and that you are comfortable on it for long periods.
    Good luck ! LG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 278 ✭✭rughdh

LastGasp wrote: »
    In the end the most important thing is the fit and set-up of the bike, and that you are comfortable on it for long periods.
    Good luck ! LG
    +1

I would use easier gearing than I'd normally use if planning on going beyond a 200, if the terrain is hilly. What was an easy climb on the first day of a 600 can be a challenge on day 2.

I have used either a Giant SCR 4 or SCR 1 for all my audaxes from 200 to 600, without any problems. I don't know if the clearance is different than the Defy range, though. I just have a clip-on rear mudguard.

I would recommend at least 25mm tyres for comfort. Some folks will go as far as 32, if they have the clearance. I use 28 when I'm not using the mudguard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

There are Giant specific mudguards that should fit the Defy. These are permanently fixed. OTOH, you can go with the raceblades style mudguards which clip to the frame but don't cover as much as the Giant ones.

My FCR (similar frame to the defy) will take 28mm tyres but maybe not the 32s. With mudguards you are probably limited to 25mm though.

The Defy 2 should be a pretty nice bike...

• Registered Users Posts: 14 jerby

Thanks folks,
    Plenty of info there. Will start looking up those bikes, and have a chat with a few local bike shops. Thanks again and may the wind be always at your back. :)

Advertisement