Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaking shower

• 23-09-2010 10:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48

Hi, our shower is leaking and we know by process of elimination that is not a leaking pipe but is the sealing somewhere around the shower. We have had it retiled and resealed around the shower (the lowest row of tiles were replaced). It is still leaking, quite badly, and we don't know where to go from here. We have checked the seal and can't find any cracks or openings that the tiler missed. We're getting the tiler back but we're at a total loss as to where the leak is. Im concerned that the problem won't be fixed even after a 2nd visit. I can't believe it's leaking just as badly as before even after it was resealed. Any ideas as to what we could do to stop this happening, or is there something that we haven't thought of? We know that it leaks outside the shower, on the bathroom floor, as we deliberately spilled water there and it came through downstairs straight away. There is definitely a leak from inside the shower though as the leaks from inside the shower and outside on the floor are not always in the same place downstairs. Hope someone can help. Thanks for any answers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

the next logical step in my book if you can see no possible defects from above , is to cut a section of the slab out from below and watch to see exactly where the problem is .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Just because two drips of water don't end up in the same place on the ceiling downstairs isn't necessarily an indication that its two separate leaks. Water can travel across the ceiling a fair bit before it settles and shows up somewhere.

Are you using an upstand on the shower?
    Is the shower base cracked?
    Is the floor tiled? If it is, and it leaks then thats an issue for the tiler.

Where are you located OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭danjo

Check the outlet pipe is fitted properly. This happened to me after I got a shower tray replaced. The U-bend had become partially disconnected. Tray was fitted by a tiler when re-doing the bathroom. I guess he should have used a pipe gluing compound but as far as I could tell it was just push fitted.

Water splattered out and resulted in a couple of damp patches. So as fingers said it may be just one leak.

If it is a push fit be careful when removing, cleaning and installing the trap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 137 ✭✭kitser

we had a similar problem last year when we got the ensuite revamped. water was pissing into the kitchen. heres what to check for.
    1) the trap. Is the tray raised off the floor so you can access the waste pipe? if it is, aim the water directly over it and see if it leaks from there.
    2) shower door at wall. if they haven't sealed it properly when installing this will leak like the titanic. direct the water directly at the bottom corners of the enclosure at the wall and see what happens

i eended up having to refit the enclosure myself as the water was running out from behindthe wall jams, and the trap was not connected properly either.

if you're in dublin, pm me and i'll take a lot at it for you

Advertisement