Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I cancel house insurance?

Options
  • 23-09-2010 11:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭

As the title says, can I cancel my current house insurance to move to another one, more advantageous?

I just renew it a couple of months ago without shopping around and just now found better deals.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭premier10

Yes

But i believe that the couple of months since your last renewal date does not count towards your no claims.e.g if you had 3 yrs & 2 mths no claims, it only counts as 3 yrs

Be weary though if you already have paid your premium up front re getting refund back.

Also you need to inform your mortgage provider if applicable

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭m4r10

Thanks for the info. The payment is done monthly by DD, so will be no hassle with any refund.

Had no idea that the mortgage provider has to be informed as well. Why is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭premier10

Because every mortgage provider stipulates it, to ensure in the event of a fire/acident so that they get paid at the end of the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

m4r10 wrote: »
    Thanks for the info. The payment is done monthly by DD, so will be no hassle with any refund.

Had no idea that the mortgage provider has to be informed as well. Why is that?
    Always cancel your policy with agreement from your insurers. By just stopping a direct debit, the policy will be cancelled by your insurers using the cancellation clause in the policy conditions and this is a material fact that you need to disclose to any future insurer.

Other than that, there is no reason why they won't cancel it for you, though there may be a small charge

Thanks guys. I guess Monday I'll have to decide on a more advantageous house insurance than my existing one or even pay a visit to an insurance broker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭greenman09

Ptsb 6months free til end of oct. Only if ur claim free for the last three yrs and pay by dd

greenman09 wrote: »
    Ptsb 6months free til end of oct. Only if ur claim free for the last three yrs and pay by dd

That's what got me thinking at changing insurers.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Kennie1

premier10 wrote: »
    Yes

Also you need to inform your mortgage provider if applicable

I move home insurance company nearly every year and never let mortgage provider know or for that matter they never ask! Only time they asked for proof is when I took out mortgage originally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Kennie1 wrote: »
    I move home insurance company nearly every year and never let mortgage provider know or for that matter they never ask! Only time they asked for proof is when I took out mortgage originally.
    You should note the mortgage holder on the current policy you hold. It will be part of your mortgage contract. When you leave an insurance company, they are supposed to tell your mortgage provider that you have done so in order that they get their name on the new policy. However, in practice this procedure often falls by the wayside

Advertisement