Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fightstick Button Configs?

Options
  • 23-09-2010 11:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭

So before I bought my TE, I thought it was cool that on the left hand side it had the white Japanese style buttons, and on the right it has the "3 rows of two" American/European style that I grew up on.

Really though, I just thought the Japanese buttons were there for the novelty/weeabo factor, and that most English speaking players would probably use the right-side buttons.

But after seeing you guys play, it seems I'm probably the only person to use European style (frustratingly, there's no pre-set button config for this, I always have to do it manually).

Is there a particular reason you guys use it?

Is it convenience to get away without having to do button checks, or does it actually present advantages (after playing around a little in training mode, it seemed like Kara-throwing would be easier Japanese style).

Also do any stick users button bind?

I did at the beginning, but I once I was familiar with where my fingers rested, I found it was easier just to the press them manually and not get lost somewhere in the 7th and 8th button.

EDIT:

Found a picture online to sort of clarify the differences (lol snk)

sf4.jpg

What button setup do you use on a fightstick? 15 votes

Japanese style, no button bindings
    0%
    USA/EU style, with button bindings
    80%
    PPCPlacebobushK.O.KikiBurning EclipseanimaXSairusRelikkOrimmeducationVoachueytoo 12 votes
    Japanese style, with button bindings
    13%
    UberPrinny_BaalRobbknoll 2 votes
    USA/EU style, no button bindings
    6%
    A-Trak 1 vote
    Kicks are punches, ups are down, my style is so weird it causes pain in my kneecap
    0%

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,005 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

For most people it's the most ergonomic button layout and also many prefer to use the left six buttons as they're closer to the stick.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

For most people it's the most ergonomic button layout and also many prefer to use the left six buttons as they're closer to the stick.

I'd buy the ergonomic thing, but I don't see how proximity to the stick makes any difference unless you're playing one handed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

The Japanese layout is the exactly how my fingers lay if i rest them on a table.
    If i want to use US style i'd have to arc my middle finger to have them all at the same level.
    Guess it just makes sense to me to use the Japanese style.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

Um I'm not sure I know which is which but I use the buttons that are perfectly horizontal as my punch and kick buttons and the two dipped buttons, the ones closest to the stick, as my bound three punch/kick buttons.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

That's Japanese, no button binds.

The superior ergonomic style.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

I use the standard Japanese no bindings, purely because that's the default setup SF4 had for my TE when I bought it.
    I also prefer having the default setup for any game just so I can go into button config and hit default with no messing around with button configs. I used to button bind Soul Calibur on the Dreamcast, but now that I'm on stick, there's no reasonable button command that I cant easilly hit with a combination of fingers.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

So before I bought my TE, I thought it was cool that on the left hand side it had the white Japanese style buttons, and on the right it has the "3 rows of two" American/European style that I grew up on.

Really though, I just thought the Japanese buttons were there for the novelty/weeabo factor, and that most English speaking players would probably use the right-side buttons.

But after seeing you guys play, it seems I'm probably the only person to use European style (frustratingly, there's no pre-set button config for this, I always have to do it manually).

Is it convenience to get away without having to do button checks, or does it actually present advantages (after playing around a little in training mode, it seemed like Kara-throwing would be easier Japanese style).

Also do any stick users button bind?

I did at the beginning, but I once I was familiar with where my fingers rested, I found it was easier just to the press them manually and not get lost somewhere in the 7th and 8th button.

EDIT:

Should have previewed the poll first (hopefully a mod can fix), it should have been

1: Jap no binding
    2: US/EU no binding
    3: Jap with binding
    4: US/EU with binding
    obligatory 5th

Done but in a different order as plenty of people had already voted.

On a side note, once again, if you want me or Azza to do something don't say it on thread. This isn't a job and we don't have to read every word on the forum, so we may pass something over (or just not realise something's wrong, we're human after all.

Well, I am).

Always pm or report a post if you want a mods attention, only way to go.

Now back to your scheduled discussion about sticks.

I'm hearing the ergonomic argument a lot for Japanese style.

That's cool, but does anyone find execution easier one way or the other?
    Creature wrote: »
    Um I'm not sure I know which is which but I use the buttons that are perfectly horizontal as my punch and kick buttons and the two dipped buttons, the ones closest to the stick, as my bound three punch/kick buttons.

That would be US/EU style, with bindings (3x punch/kick)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

Would the outer left arc of buttons not be closer to SNK style? Not that it applies to SF configs, just all the NeoGeo setup I've seen had the buttons in more of a diagonal line.

I use Jap style.

I didn't choose it because it's cool, I didn't even know there were different styles. I just kinda use the leftmost buttons as a guide like the f and j keys for typists.

In an American set up I often stab the wrong buttons.

• Advertisement

In an American set up I often stab the wrong buttons.

Same for me, but in regards to Japanese style.

I think it's because in US/EU style all the buttons are equal distance and spacing apart.

In SF I tend to rest on LP/LK, so to go from there to a focus attack is just a matter of moving my hand right.

But to do that Japanese style I have to go right AND up, the left and down to return my hands to where they were.

It's mind boggling :confused:

Same for me, but in regards to Japanese style.

I think it's because in US/EU style all the buttons are equal distance and spacing apart.

In SF I tend to rest on LP/LK, so to go from there to a focus attack is just a matter of moving my hand right.

But to do that Japanese style I have to go right AND up, the left and down to return my hands to where they were.

It's mind boggling :confused:

For me I can use 6 buttons anywhere though. I think in either config too. It takes about 30 mins of adjusting and I'm fine. It's when the buttons aren't "left justified" I guess you'd call it I run into trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

I have a slightly unorthodox way of using the buttons on a stick and it is completely designed around the japanese 6-button setup. Like most people say, it feels more natural as it follows the curve of the hand (thumb to index to middle fingers).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

question would have been more appropriate few years back when american sticks had a completely different style. Not ergonomically friendly at all. Buttons resided side by side.
    The Japanese layout has now become a standard. I suppose binding all comes down to being a cheater like Mago or not ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭meducation

i use jap style it seems, never gave it any thought before seems the most comfortable

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

Japanese style, no bindings.

It's the only option I have on the Hori Ex 2. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

animaX wrote: »
    I have a slightly unorthodox way of using the buttons on a stick and it is completely designed around the japanese 6-button setup. Like most people say, it feels more natural as it follows the curve of the hand (thumb to index to middle fingers).

I noticed this the last time we played at inferno. I was wondering what the hell you were doing beside me. I thought you were doing some fake out stuff on the buttons or something :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

Bush80 wrote: »
    I noticed this the last time we played at inferno. I was wondering what the hell you were doing beside me. I thought you were doing some fake out stuff on the buttons or something :pac:

Haha. It's at the point now where there's no point in changing the style that naturally developed, even if it is strange.

Advertisement