Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exceeding Usage allowance on Eircom

• 23-09-2010 11:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭

Hi there,
    We got the Eircom NGB 8meg basic package with 10GB download limit today.

How long would get for only 10GB?

We have 2 laptops connected wireslessly and both used for around 3-4 hours a day( no downloading of files really but browsing, watching youtube, facebook, boards, e-mail etc)

We also have an xbox and play online a nice bit.How much will this affect the limit..

We will be getting it in 15 days for 6 months I think! Is there any way to cancel it before this?

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭pieface_ie

Your usage described above will go no where near the 10gb limit so i wouldnt worry about it. The only hard hitting thing there is the youtube streaming but you will have no problems as it'd be very hard to use 10gb's of casually streaming videos.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭nani17

10gb is to low imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭thenightrider

Do you get demos from xbox live or anything else or just play games if you use it for anything else other then playing games it is to low ive used over 10 gb today alone but i download

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,565 ✭✭✭Parawind

If your careful and keep checking it on the eircom website you should be ok, but just remember also that your operating system and programs can download updates automatically.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭.E_C_K_S.

Thanks for the answers guys.

No I do not really download demos/games just play COD online and thats about it...using the computer for videos,facebook etc

Ya I will monitor it using the website I suppose

Oh yeah forgot bout the OS and programs updates...I will try disable some of these If I can!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭bellylint

Thanks for the answers guys.

No I do not really download demos/games just play COD online and thats about it...using the computer for videos,facebook etc

Ya I will monitor it using the website I suppose

Oh yeah forgot bout the OS and programs updates...I will try disable some of these If I can!!

I wouldnt disable the os updates tbh. best to keep them on.
    as one of the above poster says. Your only hard hitting thing is youtube, and unless you spend hours on that every day I would be very surprised if you hit your cap. As you are planning to do, just keep an eye on your usage on their website. 10gb would only be low if you are planning on regularly downloading files.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 656 ✭✭✭selfbuilder1

There is an eircom usage monitor that you can download from the eircom website it alerts you when you are reaching your limit. It only works with NGB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,548 ✭✭✭weisses

approx 300 mb a day u can use

Not a lot considering what u have running in the house

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Jehuty42

a 10Gb allowance on a DSL connection is absolutely laughable, I wish they couldn't get away with it, but most people don't understand how low it is and how much they download- Youtube videos can eat into that allowance hugely, especially with two machines in your house. OP, I would be surprised if you didn't go over that limit at least once in your six months. Do you have to get Eircom or are there alternatives?

But, in fairness, if you really do have light usage, you can live with the limit and will be fine, but I don't see why you should get fairly high-speed internet if you can't use it to its full potential.

Advertisement