Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wireless Adaptor not in device manager

• 23-09-2010 11:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 293 ✭✭

Hi
    Have a toshiba satellite laptop and was trying to set up a connection with wireless router. At first i switched on the wireless via FN F8 combo, the indicator light showed amber. But it was not recognised in the connectivity options, only dial up and VPN. I then restarted the computer went back to the FN F8 combo and the wireless on/off option was no longer there. Checked the device manager and found that the device was not showing. How could this happen? Has anyone had a similar experience and how did they fix it.

If the answer is that the wifi card is damaged and needs replacing I would like to ask about my other options, as dont want to spend much fixing this.

The input options on the laptop are usb, HDMI and ethernet.

Are usb wifi adaptors any good (using windows7)? Anyone use one of these and have a reasonably inexpensive suggestion if that would suffice for internet, minor downloading and video streaming?

Thanks for your help

S

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

There was an issue a couple of years back where the wireless drivers on some Toshibas were not installed so it did not show up in device manager.
    If you can get on the net and go to Toshibas site, you should be able to download the driver.
    Maybe try here. http://uk.computers.toshiba-europe.com/nocookies.html

I'm not recommending that site as such, but it comes up in a quick search.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 293 ✭✭Souness

Thanks for reply Fuzzy Clam! The whole thing is bizarre, today I turned on the laptop and the wireless adaptor was available again. Do not know why it disappeared. Checked the driver and it is the latest version available. However when I still try to set up a wireless connection it is not showing me any options. I live in the city centre so I know that I should see lots of signals as well as my own router but I see nothing. Is there some option I need to check in windows 7 to enable me to find available wireless signals?
    Thanks again S
    PS Anyone have any feedback on the usb wireless adaptors, looking at this one last night as it was cheap, good reviews and Windows7 compatible and if tt did not work would be no real loss. Just in case I have problems in the future:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

It might be a bit too obvious and you've already checked it, but isn't there a physical switch for enabling the wireless?

Advertisement