Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Halo - Quick Question

• 24-09-2010 12:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭

I got an XBox at the start of the year. I've never seen or played Halo but have heard of the good rep and love the ad for Reach. In short, should I consider getting a bargain old version of the original, or just go straight for the new one?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,911 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

It really doesnt matter which one you buy they are all the same.

you dress up as a 7 foot gay guy that likes to shoot some gay aliens thats about it for any of the halo games. they are all really average

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

I got an XBox at the start of the year. I've never seen or played Halo but have heard of the good rep and love the ad for Reach. In short, should I consider getting a bargain old version of the original, or just go straight for the new one?

Oh play them all, just start with the most relevant to which you prefer:

Following the story

OR

Graphical and some gameplay improvements.

If like me you would rather follow a story then my advice would be to play them in the following order- Halo Wars(if you are bothered with an RTS, can be ignored though as its not pivotal to the overall story), Halo:Reach, Halo:CE, Halo 2, Halo 3:ODST and Halo 3.

If its the best Gameplay your after then it's gotta be Halo:CE or Reach, depending on if your fussy about graphics or not. Some people would rather not look at Halo:CE cos it ain't pretty enough for them. Other people will say that Halo 2 is the weakest solo campaign, again its horses for courses.

My reccomendation is to play them all and get the full Halo experience.

Hope this helps with your decision and enjoy, some fantastic games in the Halo series :)

you dress up as a 7 foot gay guy that likes to shoot some gay aliens thats about it for any of the halo games. they are all really average

There's absolutely no need for that, reported.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

foxerv1 wrote: »
    Why are you reporting him? He didn't abuse anyone, just put forward his idea. Halo is an average game. It's fun in short blasts, the gameplay is largely the same as it was when it was released, the armour abilities add a little bit more fun to it.

But the players are by in large knobs. I've been playing battlefield Bc 2 for months and have had at most 2 abusive people. My first 5 games online with reach i had 2 abusive messages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Get the new one.. I hated halo and the only reason I got this was because of the deal in xtravision with the new xbox.

I'm in work now and hanging for a game :p Its addictive even if it is average.

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Ha, that's a bit over the top!

I thought it was funny. He's kinda right too....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Jayd0g

Loving the new one, great story and now hooked on the multiplayer. Rocketfight Firefight is good fun, but very easy to hit a teammate, which can result in getting booted from the game for a betrayal of teammate.

Still fun though!

Just arrived in work and hanging for a game too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

I might start with CE so, and see where I go from there.

Why are you reporting him? He didn't abuse anyone, just put forward his idea. Halo is an average game. It's fun in short blasts, the gameplay is largely the same as it was when it was released, the armour abilities add a little bit more fun to it.

But the players are by in large knobs. I've been playing battlefield Bc 2 for months and have had at most 2 abusive people. My first 5 games online with reach i had 2 abusive messages.

Ya you know your spot on, i read it a completely different way last night. Sigh, sleep deprivation and achievement rage not a good combo. Can one recall a report? I at the very least extend my apologies to Grumpypants :(

As far as the players being knobs, i must be lucky cos i have got no abuse since the Halo 3 beta..... Worst luck getting in matches with that type of idiot friend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

Ya you know your spot on, i read it a completely different way last night. Sigh, sleep deprivation and achievement rage not a good combo. Can one recall a report? I at the very least extend my apologies to Grumpypants :(

As far as the players being knobs, i must be lucky cos i have got no abuse since the Halo 3 beta..... Worst luck getting in matches with that type of idiot friend.
    You must tell me who you play with!! I get abused at least once a day!! Shotguns and energy swords are apparently not liked!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Sigh.

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭Vyse

Halo was definitely one of my favourite games on the XBox and was the first FPS I played. Still rate it up there with the best. I'd start with that, the best of the series.

I'm convinced if it wasn't for Halo we wouldn't be playing the likes of Modern Warfare 2 today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

I like it. Some people seem to hate it because it is not call of duty or that they're so used to playing COD that they find Halo tough. Me included.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭-=al=-

I like it. Some people seem to hate it because it is not call of duty or that they're so used to playing COD that they find Halo tough. Me included.

im the opposite, i used to hate these kinda games till halo came out all those years ago, playing them for ages, and im not the biggest fan of cod, much prefare halo, just the way i am

You must tell me who you play with!! I get abused at least once a day!! Shotguns and energy swords are apparently not liked!

I just go into matchmaking.....maybe i'm just extremely lucky. More than welcome to play with us anytime, tag is in my sig :)

-=al=- wrote: »
    im the opposite, i used to hate these kinda games till halo came out all those years ago, playing them for ages, and im not the biggest fan of cod, much prefare halo, just the way i am

+1. I was rubbish at FPS's and just didn't like them til i got Halo 2 with my original xbox, then a mate got me Halo:CE, now i love em.

Sidebar: Kinda hope 343 Industries do make another Halo in a couple of years, would like to see it continue despite the absence of Bungie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Jimbobjoeyman

reach is the first halo game i've played
    im hooked im going to play the whole series
    reach is much much better than cod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

Castle Wolfenstein, back in about 1992, was the first FPS I played. I've loved the genre (now that the nausea that Wolf created has been conquered) since then. It's a real feeling of full immersion. I've played a couple of different FPSs on different platforms on and off since then, but MW2 was a bit of a reintroduction to it. I found it to be a prettier version, but much vaster than the original Doom series where I cut my teeth.

After a bit of a browse around some shops today, and further comments here, I think I might just jump straight into Reach. If I love it, I'll get the back catalogue.

Castle Wolfenstein, back in about 1992, was the first FPS I played. I've loved the genre (now that the nausea that Wolf created has been conquered) since then. It's a real feeling of full immersion. I've played a couple of different FPSs on different platforms on and off since then, but MW2 was a bit of a reintroduction to it. I found it to be a prettier version, but much vaster than the original Doom series where I cut my teeth.

After a bit of a browse around some shops today, and further comments here, I think I might just jump straight into Reach. If I love it, I'll get the back catalogue.
    trust me you will :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Jayd0g

+1 on the loving Halo Reach!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

I love halo but in all fairness they are all pretty much identical. The only discernable difference between each game is the advancement graphic wise.
    I found odst to be the best game in terms of narrative and character development. Reach imo had a piss poor story arc. The entire game was just running to different encampments, engaging in samey battles with a few lines of dialogue down an ear piece to develop the 'story'. There were a few nice set pieces toward the end but that was about it. Halo is definitely a game that sells on hype over quality, but I do still like it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Hi all,

I am having a terrivble problem with Halo Reach. In Forge I constantly get an error message stating "user content not permitted". I'm running a legal copy bought from a reputable "Game" shop and have no child/privacy content restrictions set up, everything is set to "allowed".

I've checked online and can't find a solution. I'm hoping you guys can help me!!

Ben

BenEadir wrote: »
    Hi all,

I am having a terrivble problem with Halo Reach. In Forge I constantly get an error message stating "user content not permitted". I'm running a legal copy bought from a reputable "Game" shop and have no child/privacy content restrictions set up, everything is set to "allowed".

I've checked online and can't find a solution. I'm hoping you guys can help me!!

Ben
    may have something to do with the region settings of your console go into settings and see if the settings are right,
    Im not sure, its never happened to me but its worth a try.
    disc could be damaged aswell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Hi Jim,

Seems the problem is fairly widespread. There is a temporary solution explained here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdNuixH9P2Y) but it's only for local play. You still can't play online with it.

Hopefully the fix will come out soon.

Ben

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 578 ✭✭✭neilk32

dazftw wrote: »
    Get the new one.. I hated halo and the only reason I got this was because of the deal in xtravision with the new xbox.

I'm in work now and hanging for a game :p Its addictive even if it is average.

I got this deal too, halo reach is great fun to play online I haven't even touched the campaign yet. Also daz loving the skate pics, they are in Waterford right? I always look at that bank near the cinema and want to skate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭RichTea

I'm not a fan of the Halo series but I really enjoyed Reach. I could never get into the others, wasn't feeling the whole one supersoldier against infinite cartoon aliens vibe. Don't feel that as much in the new one.

Advertisement