Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alan Wake vs Heavy Rain

Options
  • 24-09-2010 12:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭

whats better

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,216 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

whats better
    having played both its gotta be alan wake much better gameplay:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,739 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

Alan Wake:rolleyes: though it looks good, the game play gets sooooOOooo boring and repetitive I gave up after the 4th chapter, can I ask, do you get to do much else besides shine a torch at baddies and shoot them?

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Scram

Alan Wake:rolleyes: though it looks good, the game play gets sooooOOooo boring and repetitive I gave up after the 4th chapter, can I ask, do you get to do much else besides shine a torch at baddies and shoot them?

id agree, the story & characters is good in alan wake but running around with a fecking torch gets crap after a few mins. Ive not played H.R and never will but from what i hear its good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭rizzla

Played both and it has to be Alan Wake, it's a game. Whereas Heavy Rain is just an interactive movie with a story that falls apart at the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Which is better, an apple or an orange???

Both great games imo, but both worth playing for totally different reasons...
    If you prefer action games, get Alan Wake. If an interactive movie sounds more up your street, get Heavy Rain.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,185 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I haven't played Alan Wake yet, so i can't say which is better. But i can say that i absolutly loved Heavy Rain. It's a fantastic game (it is a game, regardless of what some people say), with an excellent story. QTE heavy (exclusively), but that was always how it was going to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I thoguht Heavy Rain was one of the best games I've ever played. It has plenty of flaws, but the concept and design were pretty fantastic IMO. Rizzla above says that it's just an interactive movie. But that's exactly what it's meant to be. It's a movie you control, with plenty of scope to change how things play out.

Alan Wake isn't as good, but has some fantastic features to it. It's as creepy as hell and you'll sh*t yourself every now and again. It gets very repetative, but that didn't bother me too much.

They're both great games, but Heavy Rain would be my recommendation. Although you wouldn't exactly be stuck with a lemon if you picked up Alan Wake.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

They're both completely different games to be honest so you can't really compare them directly. In terms of which one is better in general, my vote would be Alan Wake, I loved the atmosphere and story and while Heavy Rain is a fantastic game which I feel everyone should play, I just enjoyed AW more by the end.

That being said, you can pick up both games for the price of one full price game now so there's no excuse not to play both. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Jesus that Alan Wake game looks a bit creepy like Silent Hill alright.

Loved Heavy Rain though, completely different games TBH

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

tman wrote: »
    Which is better, an apple or an orange???

A more apt question would be "Which is better, an apple or a motorbike?" :)

The games are completely different, and not really comparable. I've finished both, and I really liked both. They both have flaws, but they are both completely different.

Its down to which genre you prefer - survival horror or interactive movie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Really very different games, I view Heavy Rain as more of an interactive movie. Both are really really worth playing. Once I got into it, I LOVED Heavy Rain, got completely engrossed. Alan Wake is a better game overall, I would say, but again, they're completely different.
    Just play both :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

I'm only half way through Alan Wake, but I'm considering buying the DLC for it when it comes out, which I very rarely do.
    Heavy Rain was also a great experience, but Alan Wake just pips it for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

wake was a far, far better game

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭GothPunk

Anyone think a GOTY edition of Alan Wake including all the DLC might come out? I want to pick it up at some point but seeing as how I've waited this long I might as well wait if a GOTY edition is somewhere on the horizon.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I'm sure it will, but "The Writer" (the final DLC) is still a few weeks away.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,191 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

The first DLC ("The Signal") comes free with new copies of the game, so you'd only have to pay 560 points (~€7 I think) for "The Writer". Since the game is €20-€25 at present, it might work out cheaper than waiting for a GOTY edition.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭rizzla

GothPunk wrote: »
    Anyone think a GOTY edition of Alan Wake including all the DLC might come out? I want to pick it up at some point but seeing as how I've waited this long I might as well wait if a GOTY edition is somewhere on the horizon.

I would say sales of the game wouldn't warrant a GOTY edition. But I think there's only 2 pieces of dlc and as was said above the first one is free with new copies of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

Alan Wake is to Jurassic Park 2, as Heavy Rain is to Tiger Uppercut.

Hope that helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

The only thing these 2 titles have in common is the poor replay value of both but I enjoyed the 1st playthrough on both. Maybe the Move patch may get Heavy Rain another playthrough but i've to Buy a Move for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

Having played both myself its more than which one is better than the other.

Alan Wake is a game.
    Heavy Rain is more so an interactive movie - it lasts a few hours Its nice.

while alan wake is like playing a video game. Plus Alan Wake lasts longer.
    You should definitely play both. I think both have their nice points.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭GothPunk

The first DLC ("The Signal") comes free with new copies of the game, so you'd only have to pay 560 points (~€7 I think) for "The Writer". Since the game is €20-€25 at present, it might work out cheaper than waiting for a GOTY edition.
    For some reason I'd gotten it into my head that there was going to be more DLC than that, and reading the Wiki entry it seems more DLC was planned originally. Hadn't realised you could pick it up so cheap, I'll keep an eye out for it. Thanks guys. :)

LighterGuy wrote: »
    Alan Wake is a game.
    Heavy Rain is more so an interactive movie - it lasts a few hours Its nice.

while alan wake is like playing a video game. Plus Alan Wake lasts longer.
    You should definitely play both. I think both have their nice points.
    Well I thought the idea with Heavy Rain was to replay it a few times to see what you can do differently, seeing as how there are multiple endings, so I'm not sure you can say it only lasts a few hours. Whether you'd want to replay it is another question altogether.

As for the PS Move controls in Heavy Rain, I played through the start of the game again to try them out and found them to be much more natural, although there was an initial hurdle to get over of figuring out the controls. Actually thinking about it, I'd love to see an 'Alan Wake' type game made for the Move, with the Move as the torchlight.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭LeoGilly

Just wondering is there any chance Alan Wake will make it to PS3? It looks pretty good!

LeoGilly wrote: »
    Just wondering is there any chance Alan Wake will make it to PS3?

from speaking to the remedy guys, absolutely none

Helix wrote: »
    from speaking to the remedy guys, absolutely none

How about PC?

now that i couldnt tell you, but maybe

i know they were originally working on a pc version alongside the xbox one, but they canned it a few years back. its possible i suppose

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,478 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Best thing about both games is they both strive, and largely succeed, in creating a more intelligent narrative then would be typical of games. Still, both are far inferior to any cinematic comparisons you want to make (Heavy Rain is a subpar take on Seven, Alan Wake a less weird Twin Peaks / Stephen King novel), but they both put game storytelling on the right path IMO.

Both are worth playing, but there's probably more bite to Alan Wake - both gameplay and story wise. Heavy Rain kind of self destructs near the end, but Alan Wake actually had me wanting to play more, to the point where I was actively looking forward to the DLC, which I never do. With less repetition gameplay wise, Alan Wake as a franchise shows lots of potential. Heavy Rain shows David Cage innovating and experimenting, and hopefully someday will find a story that is entirely engrossing as opposed to mostly engrossing (and some excellent scenes definitely hint that the man has promise).

Both flawed experiences, but both worth a play.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

Alan Wake for definite.
    Heavy Rain is easily my most hated game ive palyed this year. Its laughably bad. **** acting, **** story, **** 'gameplay', just an all round abortion of a game. Picture watching a cutscene for 7 hours and occasionally moving the analog stick in time to whats happening on screen, and thats the entire gameplay portion of HR summed up right there

Heavy Rain is easily my most hated game ive palyed this year. Its laughably bad. **** acting, **** story, **** 'gameplay', just an all round abortion of a game. Picture watching a cutscene for 7 hours and occasionally moving the analog stick in time to whats happening on screen, and thats the entire gameplay portion of HR summed up right there

So, it's just like their previous game, Fahrenheit. :(

I was actually considering playing Heavy Rain if I got a loan of it. Looks like it would be a case of 'fool me twice'.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,185 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Fnz wrote: »
    So, it's just like their previous game, Fahrenheit. :(

I was actually considering playing Heavy Rain if I got a loan of it. Looks like it would be a case of 'fool me twice'.

To be fair, far more people have said positive things about Heavy Rain in this thread. Most people agree that its an excellent, if flawed game. It's a far better game then Fahrenheit, in both story and gameplay. I enjoyed Fahrenheit, but it went off the wall crazy towards the end. While Heavy Rain does lose some of its shine towards the end, its still a really enjoyable story, and definitely worth trying out.

Plus, its pretty cheap now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

Own both and enjoyed both.

If I had to play one through a second time, I wouldn't hesitate to pick Heavy Rain though.

Advertisement