Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bought a 360 last week

Options
  • 24-09-2010 12:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭

Long story short I used to be really big into video games when I was younger, I had a NES and SNES and was addicted,my favourite games were mainly the rpgs such as final fantasy 6, chrono trigger,shadow run,secret of mana, illusion of gaia,earth bound,secret of evermore, earth bound and zelda 3, i completed them all except earth bound, I also loved the castlevania games specifically castlevania 2:simons quest and later symphony of the night

Whne I went to college Istarted to lose interest big time and the only games I played were the Resident evil series and Castlevania:symphony of the night

Any way boredom has led me to buy a Xbox 360 and 2 games, batman arkham asylum(which is class) and Alan Wake, I am looking for recommendations for what I should also get, I am really look forward to lords of shadow, I am however not really into first person shooters which seem to be the most popular genre today

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Fable is worth a crack, it's a 'lightweight' rpg, but can be good fun at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,739 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

Going by your username....shouldn't you have bought a Wii? ;)

You can't go wrong with the GTA (grand theft auto) series. There's just so much to do and the 'realistic' storyline and gameplay are outstanding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Whne I went to college Istarted to lose interest big time and the only games I played were the Resident evil series and Castlevania:symphony of the night

Get Shadow Complex now, thank me later!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

If you got in to the Resi series I'd highly recommend getting the fifth. It has veered far away from the previous instalments, but don't let that deter you. Still good fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭Tyrant^

sell it and get a awesome PC ! consoles are for babies :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

Long story short I used to be really big into video games when I was younger, I had a NES and SNES and was addicted,my favourite games were mainly the rpgs such as final fantasy 6, chrono trigger,shadow run,secret of mana, illusion of gaia,earth bound,secret of evermore, earth bound and zelda 3, i completed them all except earth bound, I also loved the castlevania games specifically castlevania 2:simons quest and later symphony of the night

If you don't like shooters, I don't know a whole lot of Xbox games, as FPS is kind of its bread and butter (and you already own Arkham Asylum).

Dead Rising: Survive in a mall filled with Zombies sandbox game. Really like this one.

Rock Band 2: Fantastic music/party game for up to 4 people. Pretty much the reason I got my Xbox. You can get a full instrument kit for dirt cheap these days as they take up a lot of stock room space and shops just want rid of them.

If you ever played Street Fighter 2 in your youth, you can buy Super Street Fighter IV in any shop for less than €30 and it plays pretty much like SF2 (with 35 characters and a lot of new crazy stuff), or you can straight up download the most reason version of SF2 off of Xbox Live Arcade (It's called HD Remix).

I believe the most highly regarded recent Resident Evil game was actually 4, but you'ld need a Wii or a Gamecube to play that. If you did buy/already have a Wii, you could download a lot of the NES/SNES games you're discussing and play them on your TV.

All the best recent Castlevania games have been on the Nintendo DS. Both Dawn of Sorrow and Portrait of Ruin are very similar in style to Symphony of the Night (I thought both were fantastic). The MOST recent "Order of Ecclesia" is a bit more like Castlevania 1 or Simon's quest (I'm not sure, I never played them) and wasn't really my thing. A co-op "Mash up" of a lot of these games has been released on XBLA, but it's more "time attack" than exploration based, so I'm not sure how much you'ld be into it (you can try the demo though).

Speaking of the DS there have been ports of Chrono Trigger and most of the Final Fantasies before 6 released on it. Hell the DS is probably my most played games console.

The big advantage of the 360 with regard to game choice though, is the absolutely massive amount of archived demos on the marketplace. Assuming your internet connection is good, and you have a decent harddrive, you could just slowly work your way through everything it has to offer, and decide what you like for yourself.

You could conceivably spend months at it without paying a cent.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

FPS is xbox's bread and butter ? LOL

There are tons of great games for consoles.

Heres some i would recommend

Mass effect 1+2 (RPG)
    Dragon Age (RPG)
    Fallout (First Person RPG, give it a try its great)
    Red Dead: Redemption
    GTA4
    Fable2
    Oblivion
    Assassins Creed 1+2
    Splinter cell
    Prince of Persia
    Res Evil 5

There are probably a few more good ones that im forgetting (Im a PS3 guy)

You can get alot of those cheap now as some have been out for a while, but most of them are awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭GothPunk

The best Japanese RPG for the 360 is probably Lost Odyssey, which you can pick up for very cheap new (€10). You may enjoy it considering the games you listed you had played previously on the NES/SNES.

Do you have an Xbox Live account set up? If you do I suggest you access the demo section of Live and just download anything that catches your eye. Bayonetta is my favourite game I have played on my 360 but I have no idea if that would be your thing - there is a demo though! Definitely try out Shadow Complex, such a great game.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,440 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'd recommend the much better Dead Space over Resi 5.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Retr0gamer wrote: »

Actually.............yeah +1. Get it before everyones' asking you have you got and completed the second one! (Due soon) :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Retr0gamer wrote: »

As would I.
    Going by your username....shouldn't you have bought a Wii?

Heard of Connect yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Jamie Starr

Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion.

I only played a small part of it, and felt like I got a game's worth of enjoyment. There's so much choice in the game, it's got a sense of humour and it's very well designed consider how vast it is. It comes pretty cheap now (with expansion packs), it isn't too dated, and best of all, there won't be eight sequels out by next week!

Definitely, definitely get Dead Space.

Get Mass Effect 1 and 2. The glorious thing about both together is that you can import the character you played from the first and the way things play out in 2 can depend on how you were in 1 and the actions you took.

Get Fallout 3- the new one will be released next month so you might be finished in time for that one, though unlike M.E 1 and 2, they are seperate games so no importing.

Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion. It's by the same people who did Fallout 3 but not as violent or adult-related. Be warned though that it will suck up your life completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

You've already got Batman: AA... You're sorted!
    Anyways, if you're big on your older games, connect Live, and check out the titles available to Download from Xbox Live Arcade. There's a great array of old school fun in there, and not too pricey niether.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭Vyse

Splinter cell Conviction is pure class and a blast online. Splinter Cell Double Agent is also worth a whirl. It had a great online aspect but that's pretty much deserted now:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,995 ✭✭✭KilOit

Jesus i hope you won the lotto op judging by all the recommendations, all are ace.
    Just Cause 2 is worth a mention too had a lot of fun on that title.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Crackdown is decent and proably free at this stage.

Saints Row 2 if your not into the seriousness of GTA.

Lost Planet is good dunno about 2.

Others i agree with have been mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

dreamers75 wrote: »

Saints Row 2 if your not into the seriousness of GTA.

I second that motion. Fantastic game. Miles better than I initially expected.

Magill wrote: »
    FPS is xbox's bread and butter ? LOL

I don't get your lol
    The top ten Xbox 360 games.
    1. Halo 3 (8.1 million)
    2. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (7.479 million approximately; 6.471 million in US, 85,411 in Japan,at least 1 million in UK)
    3. Gears of War (5 million)
    4. Gears of War 2 (5 million)
    5. Grand Theft Auto IV (4.356 million approximately: 3.29 million in US, at least 1 million in UK, 59,893 and 6,210 Platinum in Japan)
    6. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (4.226 million : 3.04 million in US,78,000 in Canada, 54,742 and 53,722 Platinum Collection/The Best in Japan, at least 1 million in UK)
    7. Call of Duty: World at War (3.35 million approximately: 2.75 million in US, 600,000 in UK)
    8. Halo 3: ODST (3 million)
    9. Forza Motorsport 2 (2.674 million approximately: 2.23 million in US, 31,255 and 100,500 Platinum Collection in Japan, 12,600 in Canada,300,000 in UK)
    10. Fable II (2.6 million)

You have to go all the way down to #9 before you find a game that doesn't revolve around guns.

But only about 4 on that list are FPS though.

• Advertisement

I don't get your lol

You have to go all the way down to #9 before you find a game that doesn't revolve around guns.

Well... where to start..

1) FPS = first person shooter. GoW 1 + 2 and GTA are not FPS's

2) Since when did best sellers = best games ?

The only Xbox exclusive FPS that i would consider a top single player game(That is what the OP is looking for, CoD4/5 + 6 aren't even in the top 50 single player games available on the xbox) is Halo.

So yeah... my "lol" was another way of saying... that's the most retarded thing I've ever heard.

Magill wrote: »

2) Since when did best sellers = best games ?

So yeah... my "lol" was another way of saying... that's the most retarded thing I've ever heard.

Hahaha, oh man hyperbole much?

Who said anything about best games?

"someone's bread and butter: English Idiom
    Fig. someone's basic income; someone's livelihood—the source of one's food."

Even if you're going to argue the fact that a third person shooter is worlds apart from a first person shooter, the unit sales of the strictly FPS games on the 360 are higher than the non-FPS games.

I'm sorry you find the facts of reality so retarded.

Hahaha, oh man hyperbole much?

Who said anything about best games?

"someone's bread and butter: English Idiom
    Fig. someone's basic income; someone's livelihood—the source of one's food."

Even if you're going to argue the fact that a third person shooter is worlds apart from a first person shooter, the unit sales of the strictly FPS games on the 360 are higher than the non-FPS games.

I'm sorry you find the facts of reality so retarded.

... I'll quote what you said.
    If you don't like shooters, I don't know a whole lot of Xbox games, as FPS is kind of its bread and butter (and you already own Arkham Asylum).

now.... my point was, halo + CoD is hardly the bread and butter of xbox games.... they might have sold the most copies... but considering there has been nearly 400 million games sold on the console, i don't think Microsoft are solely dependent on 2 games.

And you really cant think of good games that aren't FPS's ? Wow, maybe you should ask you mummy for some more pocket money.

This is pointless anyway, you gave some false impression that xbox360 only had good fps games, i proved you wrong. Discussion over.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭_Godot_

There's also Blue Dragon and Eternal Sonata (but Eternal Sonata is apparantly better on the PS3), also Tales of Vesperia.

Advertisement