Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Working around UPC's Scientific Atlantic Modems firewall

• 24-09-2010 1:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Since day one I have been experiencing download time outs. I'd sit and watch the download speed run down to under 10KBps in a matter of seconds when downloading large files.
    My sisters boyfriend works in IT and he told me it was a firewall Issue on the modem itself. I've tried connecting to the modem via 192.168.1.1 but unfortunately the host wont resolve. I've also tried connecting to the modem via cable but still the same issues.
    Anyone know of a work around or an alternative to fix this complete pain in the ass?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

AFAIK the Scientific Atlanta is just a modem. No firewall.
    If you have a router / firewall version this is how you find its web IP:

if you have windows
    run cmd
    type ipconfig
    see what IP the Default Gateway is
    Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\WINDOWS>ipconfig

Windows IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter WIFIabgt:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : lan
            IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.121
            Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
            Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1

C:\WINDOWS>

Stick that IP in your Browser.
    You will need an Admin password.

"I've also tried connecting to the modem via cable" suggests it is a router with WiFi, so someone must have setup the WiFi, so you should have the Admin password.
    It should not have been left as default (Drive by DNS poisoning). If it is the default make a new one and write it on bottom of Router along with IP address and WPA wiFi key

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

if you have a sister who's boyfriend works in IT then your best bet is to buy the guy a couple of pints and ask him to take a look. ;)

Advertisement