Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Directory for website....some questions

Options
  • 24-09-2010 1:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭

Hey there,

I've have been asked by someone to do a directory website for them. I do quite a bit with Wordpress and Joomla but this is something new to me. I'm looking for a bit of guidance if you wouldn't mind pointing me in the right direction. I hope I'm not asking too much. Firstly I'll give you an overview of what is required for the website.

Basically, this site will be a business directory. Every business will be assigned to a category. The most important part of this site is that there will be a directory that is searchable by the users of the website. So if I log onto the site and go to the business directory I want to be able to search by category and alphabetically by business name. There should also be a search box.

As well as the directory the businesses should be able to register on the website in order to join the network. Once registered the user should be able to contribute to a blog on the site (and possible be able to amend their own listing). Also, I want to be able to protect some of the pages on the site from non members. So if a non member clicks on one of these pages then they are required to log in to be able to access the content.

So I'm more than likely going to use Wordpress as Joomla can be quite difficult to amend with regards to css, etc..

Should I start looking for plugins? Does anyone know of any good directory plugins that would give me what I require for the directory, so that I can search by category, etc? I presume each business would be it's own separate post and then that post would be assigned to a category?

Or should I go with something like DirectoryPress (www.directorypress.net)? Has anyone every heard of or used this company?

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated. Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭was.deevey

Joomla + Sobi2 Directory + Jomsocial (or community builder I guess) = Sorted out of the box

Sobi will handle the directory functions
    Theres a ton of addons for it (some are not free) as well from SEO / Multiple Payment schemes and featured listings built in, for the most part its got a self contained template / Css structure separate from Joomla

Listings can be free or paid, and can be assigned into a number of categories of your choosing and modified by the creator if enabled.

Jomsocial can handle the social / blog side of things, theres a plugin for displaying sobi entries on the profile page too (not free though).

Joomla for the Site CMS

How is Joomla more difficult to ammend the CSS in than WP? .. I'd think that really depends how you set the template up.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Mike_Eile

Thanks was.deevey for your reply. Ya I had a look at the sobi directory and it seems like what I require. I haven't got round to looking at Jomsocial yet but hopefully it shouldn't be too difficult to install. Looks like I'll go with Joomla instead of Wordpress.

Thanks again for your help.

Advertisement