Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I hate UCD!

Options
  • 24-09-2010 1:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23

I hate everything about UCD from the morbidly depressing 70's layout to the irrationally cranky women at the library reception who gives out to me daily to the constant high pitched whaling of attention seekers coming from the drama soc room while trying to study on the computers downstairs to the morning race to get parking to the arts block that smells like hitlers moustache wiped in ****e.

What do you hate most about UCD?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭rorymcgrory

Sounds bad. I went to dcu. It was a great 4 years.have you considered quitting? Chances of work are pretty slim whether you graduate or not

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

Awww, I hated the design at first, but it's got a strange charm now. Sure, those concrete things may not look pretty now, but you'll appreciate them when they keep you dry on your way across the university :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 karpo

I would appreciate them if there weren't loose blocks of concrete that when walked on splash you all the way up your legs with mud.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

It sounds like you stomp around the place and create the splashing yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Dj Stiggie

Sounds bad. I went to dcu. It was a great 4 years.have you considered quitting? Chances of work are pretty slim whether you graduate or not

Have to agree. I'm in DCU now and its great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

I like it. That's all i have to say about that.

/gump

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

UCD will grow on you. Give it time, it's a great spot really!:D It wasn't so bad for me because I went to a tech which more or less looked like a smaller version of Belfield.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭littlefriend

karpo wrote: »
    study on the computers downstairs

I thought those labs were closed - are they not?

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Tayto2000

Yeah, they're teaching spaces now I think, or will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

I hate everything about UCD from the morbidly depressing 70's layout to the irrationally cranky women at the library reception who gives out to me daily to the constant high pitched whaling of attention seekers coming from the drama soc room while trying to study on the computers downstairs to the morning race to get parking to the arts block that smells like hitlers moustache wiped in ****e.

70s layout = Arts Bloc, lake, Admin, Ag-Sci, some of Science, and Library (technically).

That ain't the whole campus mate - and even then if you aren't aware of the huge revamp of Arts and Science then you must be blind.

And why are the women in the library giving out to you :confused: daily??? :confused::confused:

You can't study on the computers downstairs anymore. They're only SUAS. And the Dramasoc guys aren't that loud (and if you're afraid of them stay out of the basement and by god don't go near their breeding ground in the tunnels!!! :eek:)

And I personally like the smell of the Arts block in the morning.

It smells like... victory

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭muboop1

Mate, You sound like you have an awful attitude...

If you don't like those pc's(which you shouldnt even be using anymore according to other posters) use ones in another building...

The library lady would not give out to you for no reason... So maybe stop making noise? be considerate for those around you.

IF you hate it that bad, quit! guarantee nobody but you will care...

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭LUPE

Don't hang around the Arts Block, Quinn for the win :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

UCD does not grow on you, your expectations of life diminish to match your surroundings. :D

OP: if you have just started and are doing something like arts ... Get out now! For your sanity and future job prospects!

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Jack Bracken

The thing I hate most about UCD is people who whinge about it but don't do anything about it. There are dozens of other colleges and universities you could transfer into you know. ;)

But to give you a serious answer, the construction works in the science block. Most of my shortcuts through campus involved cutting across the hub. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭nbrady20009

Trinity scum is trollin!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

LUPE wrote: »
    Don't hang around the Arts Block, Quinn for the win :pac:

Despite it being one of the newest buildings, Quinn I feel is awful; completely characterless and sterile.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭tororosso

70s layout = Arts Bloc, lake, Admin, Ag-Sci, some of Science, and Library (technically).

That ain't the whole campus mate - and even then if you aren't aware of the huge revamp of Arts and Science then you must be blind.

And why are the women in the library giving out to you :confused: daily??? :confused::confused:

You can't study on the computers downstairs anymore. They're only SUAS. And the Dramasoc guys aren't that loud (and if you're afraid of them stay out of the basement and by god don't go near their breeding ground in the tunnels!!! :eek:)

And I personally like the smell of the Arts block in the morning.

It smells like... victory

+1! I agree with you on this. OP make the most of it while you can because once it's over it's all over and then it just fades into your memory and you can only dream of the good old days:o

Trinity scum is trollin!

Any relation to the"Gamesoc is Gay lad"? Your combined level of eloquence would indicate so alternatively "free fees" really lets anyone into college. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 36 asdf1234

Grimes wrote: »
    "free fees" really lets anyone into college. :p

If only the good old days where only landed gentry could send their sons to be schooled and their daughters to be wed were restored, i'm sure there would be nought but high brow conversation and hefty dowries to be enjoyed round these parts.

asdf1234 wrote: »
    If only the good old days where only landed gentry could send their sons to be schooled and their daughters to be wed were restored, i'm sure there would be nought but high brow conversation and hefty dowries to be enjoyed round these parts.

Well said old bean

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

Despite it being one of the newest buildings, Quinn I feel is awful; completely characterless and sterile.

The Richview Quad is the nicest spot in UCD by far..makes you feel like you're in Cambridge ! :D. Lovely old red brick library building there as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

The Richview Quad is the nicest spot in UCD by far..makes you feel like you're in Cambridge ! :D. Lovely old red brick library building there as well.

In its former life it was a secondary school for the sons of freemasons

• Registered Users Posts: 13,010 ✭✭✭✭bnt

The Newman Arts Building is not UCD. You need to get out more. Richview has already been mentioned, 10 mins walk away - or if you need a computer, try Daedalus or the Engineering building. :p

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

People who whinge about everything. If you hate the place that much, leave.

I've been in UCD 5 years and while being a student is getting a little long in the tooth, the only problems I've ever had have been with the Admin end of things. Apart from that, I love the place :D

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭LUPE

I wouldn't agree. Obviously there's no need to talk about the facilities, but the place has an aura rarely found elsewhere in UCD.
    Character doesn't necessarily come from history or quaintness or peculiarity, and for what it is, a business school, it has exactly the right character in terms of the general sense of ambition and empowerment about the place (even if sometimes it is poserism). Two things which certainly stand out from the general drudgy atmosphere found in many other parts of UCD.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Trinity Pearse Street IT scum is trollin!

FYP

*yes I stole this from the L&H magazine thing.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

I like it. The secret lake on sunny days is a nice spot to hang out between classes. Though the arts block has it's own charm too. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭damselnat

On the whole I don't dislike the physical place, it does have a weird sort of way of growing on you, usually when you find the little nooks and crannies that others don't seem to bother finding...But that new building beside Roebuck Hall looks ridiculous, like it's been boarded up or something, and the b****y "riot proof" design that mean you have to take huge leaps to get/up down the steps outside the arts block - wtf is WITH that??

• Registered Users Posts: 42 LauraLuck

Ive just started UCD and so far im liking the campus.Its great on sunny days by the lake.
    And also where is this secret lake ive been hearing about? i wasnt sure if someone was just messing with me asking me if ive found the secret lake yet.
    :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

Down past the Health Sciences building. It's actually more of a glorified puddle than anything but it is a nice spot.

Advertisement