Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

interested in clay shooting

Options
  • 24-09-2010 2:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Hey,
    as above, im interested in taking up clay pigeon shooting. i was just wondering what is the step by step procedure i need to take to apply for a licence, club membership and a rough estimate of cost on everything. i have been to a range in galway a few times before with a relative. i am based in Shannon Co. Clare and there is one or two clubs around. i am just wondering do i need references from current members and land owners permission etc to become a member.

if anyone could advise me i would be greatful,

thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

dotz wrote: »
    Hey,
    as above, im interested in taking up clay pigeon shooting. i was just wondering what is the step by step procedure i need to take to apply for a licence, club membership and a rough estimate of cost on everything. i have been to a range in galway a few times before with a relative. i am based in Shannon Co. Clare and there is one or two clubs around. i am just wondering do i need references from current members and land owners permission etc to become a member.

thanks.
    The Irish Clay Pigeon Shooting Association http://www.icpsa.ie would be a good starting point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

rrpc wrote: »
    The Irish Clay Pigeon Shooting Association http://www.icpsa.ie would be a good starting point.

Ennis Clay Target Club Co Clare Reg/non-reg shoots
    Luke Duffy 087 2647531 GPS location N52.50384o W008.57454o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 rmj

Hey dotz, I have done it , the procedure is as follows, you need to approach a local gun club and if they say they should be no problem joining( i.e. their membership is not full ) approach a gun dealer, there is a chap in Tulla called Fitzpatrick (?), you buy your gun, he gives you a receipt with the gun details, you apply to join club, once accepted you get your firearms form from Gaurds, fill it in with all the relevant details,pay your €25 (annually ?) it takes 8 weeks at least for you to receive your firearms licence and it must be renewed annually.
    once you have your license you can then go and collect your shotgun. Buy a new one as it is easier to sell second hand, buy an over and under where the barrels are on top of one another as opposed to a side by side. it's like any other sport, xpensive when you start out, buy a gun safe too in case you get burgled, last thing you want is a burglar standing over your with your own shotgun !!!! very good gun club in Newmarket-on-Fergus and Quin where I live. enjoy !!!!

rmj wrote: »
    Hey dotz, I have done it , the procedure is as follows, you need to approach a local gun club and if they say they should be no problem joining( i.e. their membership is not full ) approach a gun dealer, there is a chap in Tulla called Fitzpatrick (?), you buy your gun, he gives you a receipt with the gun details, you apply to join club, once accepted you get your firearms form from Gaurds, fill it in with all the relevant details,pay your €25 (annually ?) it takes 8 weeks at least for you to receive your firearms licence and it must be renewed annually.
    once you have your license you can then go and collect your shotgun. Buy a new one as it is easier to sell second hand, buy an over and under where the barrels are on top of one another as opposed to a side by side. it's like any other sport, xpensive when you start out, buy a gun safe too in case you get burgled, last thing you want is a burglar standing over your with your own shotgun !!!! very good gun club in Newmarket-on-Fergus and Quin where I live. enjoy !!!!

I see you are a new poster welcome to boards.ie.
    just a couple of small points (not meaning to knit pick) everything you said was true up until this year.
    Now you get a permit for 3 years costing €80
    You will have your permit back in 3 months or less, my brother got his back after 3 weeks recently, as the previous backlog post the system change appears to be changed.

http://www.garda.ie/Documents/User/FCA1%20Firearm%20Certificate%20Application[2].pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

Before you rush out and buy a brand new gun, get in touch with the club in ennis and see if there is any way you may get a few shots from a few different guns.If it takes you a few trips it will be worth it.Get talking to some of the lads there,most lads at shoots will be fairly alright to let you see how their gun handles if you show an interest. See which one you feel comfortable with and take it from there. No point in spending your hard earned cash on something that does not suit you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

+1 to homerhop.

Always start with the club, the advice you'll get there will definitely help you make a decision on what to get, or indeed if it's a sport you'll like.

rrpc wrote: »
    +1 to homerhop.

Always start with the club, the advice you'll get there will definitely help you make a decision on what to get, or indeed if it's a sport you'll like.

+1
    Contact the club and see what they are offering before you spend money.
    Shannon is only down the road from Ennis so it probably is your nearest grounds

• Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

dotz wrote: »
    Hey,

thanks.
    There is a fantastic Clay pigeon club set up in Cratloe wood not much more than a stones throw from you. Doonas Clay pgeon club. Excellant shooting and a good bunch of guys. Barry & Pat Madden are the owners contact barry at 0876546677 they shoot there every sunday morning during winter

• Registered Users Posts: 29 dotz

thanks guys, i have a good idea of what im up against now. i heard about that place in cratloe alright. i might take a spin up.

thanks again. great help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

homerhop wrote: »
    Before you rush out and buy a brand new gun, get in touch with the club in ennis and see if there is any way you may get a few shots from a few different guns.If it takes you a few trips it will be worth it.Get talking to some of the lads there,most lads at shoots will be fairly alright to let you see how their gun handles if you show an interest. See which one you feel comfortable with and take it from there. No point in spending your hard earned cash on something that does not suit you.

Excellent advice that :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

rmj wrote: »
    .........................you buy your gun, ................

Slight change to that. NEVER, NEVER pay more than a small deposit to a dealer for any firearm. In case of problems such as license refusal, etc. €50 - €100 will hold any gun (value dependant obviously). If the dealer demands more go elsewhere. When the license comes through then pay the balance.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Advertisement