Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Could Jesus have been an Alien

Options
  • 24-09-2010 2:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭

I suppose for atheists its a more plausible explanation if he did perform those miracles
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Slightly more plausible maybe, but still pretty fcking ludicrous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭CrazyBiscuit

A more plausible explanation is that people make stuff up. Especially when writing in a book decades after he is claimed to have died.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

First interpretation of the question.

Yep - He was the Son of an entity* that isn't actually from this planet.

*And of course that entity was also the Son.

Second interpretation.

You would have to question the mind of an alien willing to get himself so brutally tortured, then again I suppose he thought it would be worth it just to see how extreme idolising him would become. Maybe he was a mad alien scientist conducting an experiment on the gullibility of homo sapiens?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

I suppose for atheists its a more plausible explanation if he did perform those miracles

nope he was just a cult leader who made it to the bigtime!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Section 8

I'm not rightly able to comprehend such confusion of ideas that could provoke such a statement.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

good nite ya?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭portumnadaz

Who u callin an alien ya paddy ****

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Malty T: Just to clarify the Son according to Christian thought existed before He became flesh. As such Christ's birth into the world was merely the transition to become man. God was a Trinity, before Christ was born.

Of course, Christ could be argued to be an alien in the strict sense of being an outsider. Likewise, Christians according to their own definition could be also. (2 Corinthians 5 being one example amongst many about how Christians are said to be called to live differently to those in the world).

• Registered Users Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

Jakkass wrote: »
    Of course, Christ could be argued to be an alien in the strict sense of being an outsider. Likewise, Christians according to their own definition could be also. (2 Corinthians 5 being one example amongst many about how Christians are said to be called to live differently to those in the world).
    I though the point was that he was a man, not anything else.

Aliens from another planet could not be considered human by any stretch, let alone look like one.

King Mob wrote: »
    I though the point was that he was a man, not anything else.

In most Christian understandings of Jesus (commonly referred to as Christology) Christ is understood to be God and man simultaneously. In Hebrews 4:15 for example, it suggests that since Christ lived like we did, and went through the same temptations as we did yet remained without sin, this is a perfect reason why we can seek Him as an example. The argument from being God and man also is crucial in arguing that Christ was actually the mediator between God and man (1 Timothy 2:5), as He had both divine and human natures.
    Aliens from another planet could not be considered human by any stretch, let alone look like one.

It depends on the context by which one refers to as alien. I would use the term "not of this world". According to the New Testament, which you can dismiss as you will, Jesus clearly was different, and alien in comparison to the world. Most New Testament epistles and all Gospels will call Christians to be alien in comparison to the world. It's a key concept in Christianity.

A lot of philosophers such as Hannah Arendt disagree very strongly with it. For example in one of her books The Human Condition, she argues that the Christians and the Jews from the Talmudic literature have made a form of category mistake by asking people to withdraw from the world, because precisely it is by being and acting in the world that we are who we are.

• Advertisement

In most Christian understandings of Jesus (commonly referred to as Christology) Christ is understood to be God and man simultaneously. In Hebrews 4:15 for example, it suggests that since Christ lived like we did, and went through the same temptations as we did yet remained without sin, this is a perfect reason why we can seek Him as an example. The argument from being God and man also is crucial in arguing that Christ was actually the mediator between God and man (1 Timothy 2:5), as He had both divine and human natures.

It depends on the context by which one refers to as alien. I would use the term "not of this world". According to the New Testament, which you can dismiss as you will, Jesus clearly was different, and alien in comparison to the world. Most New Testament epistles and all Gospels will call Christians to be alien in comparison to the world. It's a key concept in Christianity.

A lot of philosophers such as Hannah Arendt disagree very strongly with it. For example in one of her books The Human Condition, she argues that the Christians and the Jews from the Talmudic literature have made a form of category mistake by asking people to withdraw from the world, because precisely it is by being and acting in the world that we are who we are.
    Well the context of alien, as in space alien, implies not human.
    Unless you subscribe to the idea that human are also on other planets, which would imply that God would have had to force the exact same line of evolution on two or more independent planets.

But there are much easier ways to explain his miracles than relying on alien heritage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

Not really...or at least no more plausible than considering we're the pet ant-farm for a giant alien or any other completely unnecessary insertion of entity to attempt to explain something. I don't even know if jesus existed, never mind that any miracles were performed - far less consider that the abrahamic figure depicted in the bible is more plausibly anything...there just no shoe-horn big enough for some theists tho... :pac:

Well the context of alien, as in space alien, implies not human.

Agreed. This is why I clarified to Malty T, that in Christian belief, before Jesus was made man by the Virgin Mary there was none the less a Trinity, with the Son in existence.
    But there are much easier ways to explain his miracles than relying on alien heritage.

Absolutely, but the topic certainly gives food for thought if one allows for a bit of license as to what one actually means by alien.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Malty T: Just to clarify the Son according to Christian thought existed before He became flesh. As such Christ's birth into the world was merely the transition to become man. God was a Trinity, before Christ was born.

I know christians love to manipulate statements into fitting their ludicrous notions, but that right there takes the cake :pac:

Its highly probable Jesus was an alien, look at E.T, an outsider with some crazy views, could heal the sick, make things float, died and was resurrected before flying back home. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I <3 how this thread is serious. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

mork.jpg

bam!

krudler wrote: »
    I know christians love to manipulate statements into fitting their ludicrous notions, but that right there takes the cake :pac:

Its highly probable Jesus was an alien, look at E.T, an outsider with some crazy views, could heal the sick, make things float, died and was resurrected before flying back home. :pac:

I don't think the question should be rubbished personally. It's actually a better question than people might think initially.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Dudess wrote: »

I think this thread is an attack at atheists being unreasonable for not simply accept that Jesus was the Son of God.

There is a name on the tip of my tounge for the phenomena where humans think the explanation already given is some how more reasonable simply because it is the explanation given.

Robin might know

Anyway, there is a bias towards explanations that are already circling around the culture, irrespective of whether these explanations are supported or not.

A few years ago when asked what other fantasical thing Jesus could have been I suggested he could have been an alien lying to people.

The response was something a long the line of "Don't be stupid, no one has ever believed Jesus was an alien", as if that some how meant something as to which is more likely, an alien who lies or a god.

Dudess wrote: »

Awww, personally I was rather looking forward to part III of the timetogetfit hit & run series. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

I don't know if "Jesus was an alien" really works as an explanation a whole lot better than "Jesus was the son of God."

Personally, I find it more likely he just learned a handful of cheap conjuring tricks and used them to fool the rubes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I don't know if "Jesus was an alien" really works as an explanation a whole lot better than "Jesus was the son of God."

Personally, I find it more likely he just learned a handful of cheap conjuring tricks and used them to fool the rubes.

Like this?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Hmmmmmmm

alien-jesus-icon.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Now you're on the trolley..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

strobe wrote: »
    Now you're on the trolley..

Pardon?

Conjuring tricks aren't cheap.
    I've a few receipts from on-line magic shops that show this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Jesus walked the earth as a man and proclaimed his father was in heaven.

His mother was either artificially inseminated or she did the dirty deed with the angel, so he was in fact a son of an angel or alien, absolutely, no question about it.

But, always remember that there were several Jesuses walking around claiming the same thing and also performing miracles, there would be a large bounty for anyone to pass the test of the messiah for the Jews, who were expecting one at that time ~ as you know the Jews don't recognise Jesus as the Son Of God or the Messiah.

So the Jesus that we know and love today, was just one of dozens of con men trying to pull a fast one for prize of being the King Of The Jews. That's a pretty attractive prize.

If you to a bit of study you'll find that miracles were the yardstick and many were performing miracles similar to our own Jesus and some are even in the current RCC Bible showing that some other miracles were in fact greater than what our own Jesus performed.

There were even miracle shoot outs in the streets and for a time there, our Jesus was not doing too well at all at all. In the end he succeed by breaking the legs of his most powerful adversary, thus robbing him of his ability to perform his routine of tricks, erm, I meant miracles, phew!

So there, off you go googling ~ it's all there.

But a more pertinent question would be who is the greatest wizard? Merlin? Harry Potter? Lord Voldemort? I bet in another 2,000 years someone in a forum somewhere will be asking this question too, having forgotten it was all just a story book for kids. :)

There's an awful lot of absolute tosh on the internet too. ^^

Nobody denies that there were other Messiah claimants, but none were successful in fulfilling Messianic prophesies, whereas Jesus was. Jesus is the only Messiah claimant to have ever been born in Bethlehem (the prophesied location of the birth of such a Messiah) for example.

Nobody denies that there were other Messiah claimants, but none were successful in fulfilling Messianic prophesies, whereas Jesus was. Jesus is the only Messiah claimant to have ever been born in Bethlehem (the prophesied location of the birth of such a Messiah) for example.
    How do you that he was born there?
    How do you know that the "prophecy" was made before his time?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Victors write the history books

Advertisement