Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone 8mb reliability?

• 24-09-2010 3:01am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭

Got a call off Vodafone a few days ago and told me that they have finished upgrading the lines in Drogheda and would I be interested in signing up to an 8 meg uncongested line for 40 euro per month.

Considering eircoms is 67 I was instantly intrigued, but slightly hesitant as promises have been made before, eircom for example.

I don't really know many with vodafone as their providers and want to get as much advice as I can about them before any decision is made.

So basically to summarise; Is Vodafone (obviously being a better deal financially), are they a better provider for reliability and can I believe them when they say uncongested.
    I know eircoms ngb has been attacked recently.

I'll be basically doing quite hefty usage and also online gaming through Xbox Live. Xbox live being a big selling point for me also.

Thanks very much in advance guys.
    :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39 ronoc75

I'm in Drogheda and received a flyer from vodafone saying that I have been upgraded to enhanced broadband but I am still on the 3 Mb package. My line stats suggest that I should receive the full 8 Mb on my line so I posted on the vodafone forum where the rep said that my line had not been upgraded yet and he would look into it. But as is typical on the vodafone forums, after the initial "I'll look into it" reply nothing ever happens. My advice: stay away!

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭irishmadboy

Vodafone suck balls (8mb package btw)
    We're leaving them today.

965817366.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

How long have you been with them, what's your experiences etc irishmadboy?
    Also what's their cooling off period?

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭irishmadboy

CMpunked wrote: »
    How long have you been with them, what's your experiences etc irishmadboy?
    Also what's their cooling off period?
    We've been with them for about a year after switching from BT. The speeds were great up until about the end of june. One day the speeds went from great (we were getting around 5-8meg) to pure horrible. That's when we started getting less than 1 mb/s. If we're lucky we can reach 1.6mb/s. We phoned them and they said if the speeds aren't back up in 48 hours to call them back, we called back in 2 days after no improvement and they they just said "Your line cant handle the speed" which makes no sense because we've had great speeds for years. So when we finally got fed up of their crap service we called back to cancel them. Firstly they told us wait another 48 hours to see if the speed goes back up, still nothing. After that they had no excuses so we've canceled them. They still haven't cut off our line yet which is weird, but we're getting the Wimax 7mb broadband in the next 10 days.

I don't want to bash vodafone just for me getting crappy experience with them, maybe some people get great speeds with them. I, however am confused at how they suddenly dropped our speed to 1mb/s and still charge us for 8mb. Hopefully Wimax will provide better speeds for us.

Also, do you know anyone in your area with Vodafone? That would be my best suggestion for finding out the speeds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭John mac

Dont forget to look at the download / upload usage . its a combined total .. not just download limit .

READ ALL the small print..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭grimm2005

I have recently been upgraded free of charge to the enhanced broadband package and personally, it has worked out great for me. was on "up to 7.6mb" before and the only difference is it's a bit faster and I get a pretty consistent 8mb connection. I have, for the most part, had very little problems with them (been with them for several years now, since the IOL days)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭butts

Like grimm2005, have been a subscriber since the IOL days. I've also been getting download speeds of around 8mb since our upgrade around 5 or 6 months ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 268 ✭✭NetNinja

grimm2005 wrote: »
    I have recently been upgraded free of charge to the enhanced broadband package and personally, it has worked out great for me. was on "up to 7.6mb" before and the only difference is it's a bit faster and I get a pretty consistent 8mb connection. I have, for the most part, had very little problems with them (been with them for several years now, since the IOL days)
    butts wrote: »
    Like grimm2005, have been a subscriber since the IOL days. I've also been getting download speeds of around 8mb since our upgrade around 5 or 6 months ago.

You guys are luckly, I'm another Iol / BT that was "Enhanced" by Vodafone.......

968884593.png

Moving to UPC now :)

Advertisement