Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building new pc with scavenged parts

Options
  • 24-09-2010 8:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭

Hi all, my XPS710 has decided to unceremoniously **** itself, with the PSU being the likely candidate, mobo a close second. As they're both proprietary, and the parts are no longer made, its going to be throwing good money after bad to try find them on ebay or the like.

So, I'm looking at building a new pc with the parts I can salvage. Budget is pretty tight, but I'll pay whats needed as I <3 my pc.

Parts:
    786mb 8800GTX
    2x 1 Gb DDR-800 Ram
    QX6700 2.66Ghz
    2x260 GB 7800 RPM in Raid 0
    DVD/RW
    Card Reader

As the case is unfortunately BTX form factor, I need:

Case
    Motherboard (Supporting RAID 0, overclocking, and enough space for the 8800GTX)
    Decent heatsink for overclocking
    Fans
    PSU

The motherboard has to be LGA 775 due to the processor. Has been a long time since I've been looking at hardware, so don't really know what I should be looking for. Can anyone make any recommendations on the above, especially the motherboard as I have no idea where the balance between budget and just shoddy lies

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Any budget in mind?

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭DemocAnarchis

€400-500 would be as high as I'd be able to go

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

My first choice would be something like below, with the possible exception of the Cooler there are cheaper alternatives if you would like to drive the price down some more.

Motherboard: ASUS P5Q Deluxe - €96.47
    Case: HAF 932 - 121.23
    PSU: XFX 650W Modular PSU - €74.68
    Cooler: Scythe Mugen 2 €32.99

Comes to about €325,37 altogether (Excluding the flat 30 euro delivery charge from HWVS).

If you won't be needing a second PCI slot for another graphics card you could save a bit of money getting a cheaper Motherboard and PSU. There are good budget case alternatives too. You probably won't really need any extra fans with the HAF 932.

I would reckon a reasonable quality, bare minimum budget alternative would come in at about €200 - €220 or thereabouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

you could also save about 40-50 by buying the haf 922 which is also a great case

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

The 912 is also good, and a little cheaper again.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Ment to say if you are content in single GPU land then the ASUS P5Q Standard Edition (1 X Pci-e slots) is worth considering and it is over 30 quid cheaper than the deluxe.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭TonyM.

hi
    my old Asus Maximus extreme mobo is gathering dust since i upgraded my pc you can have it if you cover the postage .

Advertisement