Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what flavour of linux

Options
  • 24-09-2010 10:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭

I see a lot of jobs are looking for linux as well as for microsoft support/administration jobs.
    does anybody know what versions of unix most of these jobs are with?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

I see a lot of Redhat, FreeBSD and SUSE.

From what I've been told once you know one version, you know them all (More or less).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

From what I've been told once you know one version, you know them all (More or less).

Not entirely, RedHat systems, particularly, RedHat Enterprise Linux(RHEL) tend to have quite different commands for configuration. Though navigation tends to be the same.

It depends what type of job you want to get, so maybe a basic Linux cert such as the LPI to give general linux concepts, and commands, and then do something like the RHCE to get Redhat experience.Most places I have worked they used Redhat systems, and I am fairly confident they will use Redhat in my new job(which I start in a months time).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

where can you do the LPI exam?

mickman wrote: »
    where can you do the LPI exam?

BT training solutions definitely do it.

Any other Prometric/Prometric vue offices would do it too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

Any recommended books?

Is the exam multiple choice ??

• Advertisement

I cant recommend a book, as I have not done the course, though I intend to do it next year. I want to get the CISSP out of the way first.

As for exam format, check on the Redhat site. It changed recently I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

I'd recommend getting familiar with Red Hat (or Centos), and ideally also Debian (or derived distros).

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭coolpix23

FreeBSD isn't Linux, Unix isn't Linux so for the LPI certs it's not an issue.

There's three broad groups of 'flavours' of linux.

Slackware based - LPI don't deal with it so that's not an issue anyway.

Then Redhat or Debian bassed.
    When I did the exams you decieded before hand and to got an exam tailored to that. There's totally different up date systems for each but most importantly the location of config and log files are very different.

+++++
    Redhat bassed flavours are most common. Suse and Redhat Enterprise Linux(RHEL)/CentOS are the most common. CentOS is a prety much free copy of RHEL, check they're site for how they put it.

I'd go for CentOS.
    +++++
    You've got Debian based flavours. They have prety much died out because Suse is backed by Sun and Redhat is dominent. Big exception!! Ubuntu. It's mostly aimed as a desktop OS for Third World countries. The second space tourist gives lots of money to the project, I think he owns VeriSign, he's from South Africa, so backing Ubunta was 'giving back'. You can do an exam in Ubunta, there's info on the LPI site but it's not connected to LPI.

Couldn't recommend it. You're just not going to find an Ubunta desktop in a Western office.
    +++++
    Taking the exams.
    First regrister with LPI, that's free.

Then find a "Pearson VUE" or "Prometric" test center. Check for both because you might find a "Pearson VUE" five miles away and the nearest "Prometric"
    is 20 miles.

Regrister with "Pearson VUE" or "Promatric", pay for the exam and schedule the exam at the particular exam center.

Take the exam.... pass well done!

At the moment they're US $160, about €120, LPI rounds it but they're prety fair with the exchange.

http://www.lpi.org/eng/certification/faq/procedure_for_taking_exams
    ++++++
    With books I'd get three! Two of the study type and an Exam Cram type. With the study ones, what one person doesn't think is important is and visa versa. The Cram book for last week revision. I have an out of date cram book I used, I'll check what it's called. Also check out some free lab books. I might have a link for a few.
    ++++++
    Very importand. Pick a date to do the exam. Book it, pay for it and use that as a target, if you don't you'll never do it. And you can reschedule it. But you need a target.
    ++++++
    Patrick

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭harney

IBM also produce some free material

http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/lpi/index.html

Now would actually be a great time to consider the RHCE/RHCSA courses. Redhat have just released Redhat Enterprise Linux 6, and they have completely overhauled the RHCE exams.

Go here for more information on the RHCSA which you must do first, before you do the RHCE.

I will be doing both of these in January or early Feb, so can let you know how I find them if you wish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭coolpix23

when I did the 101/102 it was mostly multiple choice but you had some 'fill in the blanks' for commands or options ... in Linux almost all commands are 'case sensitive' so ls is NOT LS !!!

The IBM stuff is hard to find but great

Patrick

coolpix23 wrote: »
    when I did the 101/102 it was mostly multiple choice but you had some 'fill in the blanks' for commands or options ... in Linux almost all commands are 'case sensitive' so ls is NOT LS !!!

The IBM stuff is hard to find but great

Patrick

Both Linux/Unix are case-sensitive systems, so it is not just commands which are case sensitive. While this may seem like a hurdle for many beginners, system commands are generally lower case. In fact I am racking my brains and cannot think of any shell command that is upper case. There are some GUI commands that are upper case but it is very rare that you would run any of these by calling from the shell, and highly unlikely that it would be asked on the test.

Advertisement