Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To Recommend a HD Satellite Receiver

• 24-09-2010 10:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭

I looking for a good HD Satellite Receiver that has the following features:

1. Can receive both BBC HD and ITV HD
    2. Good 7 day FTA EPG listing
    3. Two CAM Slot
    4. Option to record on a internal or external hard drive
    5. Good HD picture quality
    6. To add a motor at a later date
    7. At a good price

I would appreciate your recommendations.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭stanley1

vu+duo

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

stanley1 wrote: »
    vu+duo
    Yup, Vu+Duo is great, though it does need to be setup right first. It's a tad basic out of the box.

Otherwise, a Humax HDR, a Freesat-geared box. It does have 1 CI slot if I remember right though I'm not sure how good it is with DiSEqC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭slicedpanman

byte wrote: »
    Otherwise, a Humax HDR, a Freesat-geared box. It does have 1 CI slot if I remember right though I'm not sure how good it is with DiSEqC.

I've got the Humax HDR - yep, just the 1 CI slot and as for DiSEqC support - forget about it :rolleyes:

update - but it is a classy box if you just want 28E, really happy with mine. Have a Edision Argus mini for the motorised dish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

The VU Duo has quite a fan base, but you might wait for the QBox HD Mini reviews. Its out in the coming weeks and is half the size and half the price and according to what I've been reading has well written firmware from scratch. Theres a link to it the terrestrial forum if you want to have a look.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

STB wrote: »
    The VU Duo has quite a fan base, but you might wait for the QBox HD Mini reviews. Its out in the coming weeks and is half the size and half the price and according to what I've been reading has well written firmware from scratch. Theres a link to it the terrestrial forum if you want to have a look.

Im actually thinking of getting one when it comes out, have been holding off from a DM because of it, Hope it is as good as it says it is?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭slegs

VU+ Duo is the king of Enigma2 receivers at the moment. Good value for money when compared to the DM8000. If USB DVB-t tuner gets sorted 100% then it is unbeatable as a true triple tuner receiver.

Lots of new linux receivers promise alot but disappoint regularly. The noises around QBox HD Mini are promising but I wouldnt recommend to be the first one to purchase. Give it 3-6 months to see what its like and how the Enigma2 firmware is supported.

I have had the original QBox Hd and the Enigma2 releases from various teams were very poorly supported and buggy. AZBox is about to port to Enigma2 and there is a large user base out there so it should be strongly supported when it gets going.

For ease of use and current levels of support the VU+ Duo is hard to beat.

Havent use DM boxes besides from the DM500s so cant comment too much on those.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭fish fingers

Vu duo for me also. I cant recommend it more. Its ease of use for my whole family and the fact I can tinker also with it;).

Advertisement