Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minor collision resulting in questionable quote for repairs. Do i have to pay?

Options
  • 24-09-2010 10:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭

I had a minor collision in a car park a couple of weeks ago. I was looking around for a space when the car infront of me stopped suddenly. I was only travelling around 10mph and thus no damage was done to my car, however I made a small dent in the other cars rear bumper.

The car in question was an 11 year old Toyota. My insurance company sent out an assessor and has agreed that an entire new bumper is required coming to the grand total of 1500 euro!

While I know I am liable as I was responsible for no watching where I was going, this seems ridiculous as the car is hardly worth that and that surely a panel beater and a can of spray paint would suffice.

I've just checked and the loss of my no claims bonus will double my insurance costs next year but at the same time having been made redundant recently I cannot afford to pay for the repairs myself.

Im wondering is there any kind of recourse here? Can I refuse to pay such a ridiculous sum for minor damage?

What's really bugging me is the guy had serious damage done to the side of his car where he'd obviously taken a corner too tight which didnt seem to bother him, but is now taking me to the cleaners just because he can.

Comments

Advertisement