Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Virginia Executes Woman with IQ of 72

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭Carlos_Ray

38 males executed in USA so far this year. How many made the news or got people talking? One female is executed and suddenly everybody is expressing their disgust.

Plus I don't see how the fact that she is more intelligent than the average woman is relevant to the issue....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Columbia

She was found criminally responsible for the crimes, which means that she has enough faculties to tell the difference between right and wrong, as well as to plot the deaths of two innocent people.

Just because someone has a low IQ doesn't mean they can do no wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Carlos_Ray wrote: »
    Plus I don't see how the fact that she is more intelligent than the average woman is relevant to the issue....

IBL

in before liah

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭Flojo

SV wrote: »
    IBL

in before liah

Lets all burn our bras! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭LarrytheLantern

her sex ought NOT to be the issue, nor should her IQ level (unless she were deemed totally mentally retarded, which she were not).
    also the facts of the case are not in doubt, so it seems the only thing folk are arguing about is, should she have been executed or not?

personally i do not like the death penalty, but there are certain crimes (ie crimes against children, &/or where unspeakable cruelty has been used), which if proven beyond all doubt (and it would need to be 100% imo) should attract the death penalty.

where we are dealing with these type of crimes, then i would not lose a minutes sleep if the perpetrators were hung, poisoned, electrocuted or stoned, although personally i would favour hanging as it's the cheapest and we are in a recession.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

Uriel. wrote: »
    Lethal injection is (often) not a nice way to go.

Crazy that the two hitmen weren't given the death penalty as well. I guess they provided the the evidence that convicted her.

I've heard that about the LI before too. There are 3 injections. One paralyses you, the other knocks you out and the combination of the third kills you. I think there were reports that its impossible to tell if the knock out one has worked because the paralysing one means there is no indication from the 'victim'. With out the knock out one the person feels intense pain as they die. Don't quote me on this, this is all off the top of my non-medical head.

Conspiracy to commit murder was always far more serious in the States than the actual act of murder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

her sex ought NOT to be the issue, nor should her IQ level (unless she were deemed totally mentally retarded, which she were not).
    also the facts of the case are not in doubt, so it seems the only thing folk are arguing about is, should she have been executed or not?

personally i do not like the death penalty, but there are certain crimes (ie crimes against children, &/or where unspeakable cruelty has been used), which if proven beyond all doubt (and it would need to be 100% imo) should attract the death penalty.

where we are dealing with these type of crimes, then i would not lose a minutes sleep if the perpetrators were hung, poisoned, electrocuted or stoned, although personally i would favour hanging as it's the cheapest and we are in a recession.

Her IQ does have everything to do with it. Just because she is not a cabbage doesn't mean that she is capable of defending herself from manipulation. She should have been put in the zoo or something.

IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,139 ✭✭✭-Trek-

PeakOutput wrote: »
    its not revenge although im sure the family of the victims feel like it is revenge. it is the state trying to protect its citizens from the future actions of a murderer.

once you deliberately and illegally take another human beings life you have no right to the protection of your life anymore and the state has every right to treat you as they see fit for the protection of the rest of society. weather this be life in prison or execution i dont care but the moment you went threw with murder is the moment you give up every other right imo
    I was never defending the crime, but I definitely do not in believe that putting people down like common dogs is protecting citizens from future murders as you put it. There are others means of administrating justice/punishment that would be more effective, for example life with hard labour where the convicted can have plenty of time to think of their crime.
    But aside from all that how effective is the Death penalty? its not like its curtailing the murder rate! so obviously it doesn't work as a deterrent and IMO merely acts as satisfaction for the public's primitive cry for blood to be shed.
    Flojo wrote: »
    Exactly and why should tax payers have to pay for them being cold calculated murderers, rid the planet of the scum... also over crowding in prisons if a major issue!
    I just wish the justice system could be more accurate in who they execute to prevent innocent people being sent to death row, ie only choose it for people once they have the facts set in stone along with a confession maybe!
    Don't even know how to respond to that comment :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

RMD wrote: »
    The US think they've a high horse on the moral matter of the death sentence simply because they do it in a "humane" way. There is no humane way in execution, it's barbaric. Stoning is horrible, but just because the US use lethal injection doesn't make them any form of authority on the matter.
    What they mainly object to is the fact that they stone people for things like adultery and renouncing Islam.

She actually did! "Lewis admitted organising the slaying of her husband Julian and his son Charles to claim their life insurance premiums."
    Sounds clever enough to me. Couldn't she just have, you know, got the IQ test questions wrong on purpose?

• Advertisement

Trekmad wrote: »
    Don't even know how to respond to that comment

Oh wow I have a different opinion to you... shock horror! :rolleyes:

goose2005 wrote: »
    Sounds clever enough to me. Couldn't she just have, you know, got the IQ test questions wrong on purpose?

Yeah exactly she could have done that easily... even her lawyer stated that she does not have learning difficulties... she's just close to the mark!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 546 ✭✭✭clived2

Carlos_Ray wrote: »

6401703g69.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Documentary that was on BBC called how to kill a human. It goes through all the most popular execution methods and why they're far from humane, including the injection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

The American judicial system is based on your abilitiy to pay, the more money you have = the bigger & better lawyer you can afford. Justice for all my ar$e!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭jugger0

Who cares if its humane, bring back the firing squad. Too many scumbags in the world, no point keeping them locked up(or in this countrys case released after half a sentence) imagine how much money we'd save too.

jugger0 wrote: »
    Who cares if its humane, bring back the firing squad. Too many scumbags in the world, no point keeping them locked up(or in this countrys case released after half a sentence) imagine how much money we'd save too.
    Killing scumbags won't stop them from happening in the first place it just drags the rest of society down to their level.

The death penalty just isn't a deterrent to these people it's just a way of getting rid of them, it's not cheap or a solution to any problem.

• Advertisement

ScumLord wrote: »
    Killing scumbags won't stop them from happening in the first place it just drags the rest of society down to their level.

The death penalty just isn't a deterrent to these people it's just a way of getting rid of them, it's not cheap or a solution to any problem.

I agree of course they should be prevented in the first place, but abominations like pedos shouldnt be allowed live.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

Whatever your opinion on the death penalty, the notion of instigating it to 'save money' is hardly going to be a ringing endorsement for the humanity of those who enforce the law.

In lighter news, the liberal* use of the word 'retard' in this case is quite strange, it's PC gone SANE! :pac:

*No, not leftys saying retard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Sanjuro wrote: »
    And yet the US frowns upon Sharia Law so much. I'm not saying it's worse than Sharia Law, but those in glass houses....
    I don't see though how the fact that there is still capital punishment in America therefore makes everyone in the West even the slightest bit of a glasshouse dweller (if that's what you're saying - sorry if it isn't). It wouldn't make me any less critical of Iran, but at the same time, I would be just as critical of the death penalty in the States (or anywhere). Overall though, America is still a better society for ordinary people to live in than an actual dictatorship.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

just before everyone hops on the "stupid hypocritical americans" band wagon

http://www.rte.ie/news/2006/0811/lyonsd.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Trekmad wrote: »
    But aside from all that how effective is the Death penalty? its not like its curtailing the murder rate! so obviously it doesn't work as a deterrent and IMO merely acts as satisfaction for the public's primitive cry for blood to be shed.

Why does it have to be a deterrent.

In my opinion the justice system should protect the public from criminals and punish those guilty of crimes.

The death penalty does both of those pretty well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,357 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

PeakOutput wrote: »
    no method is instant. after being shot in the chest or even beheaded you are still very much alive for at least a few seconds after it happens

What about being shot in the head? I'd say that'd do the trick
    she was tried and found guilty by a jury of her peers.
    they were presented with the FACTS. we were not.

And to be her peers they would have an iq of 72 aswell so they'd be thick enough to find her guilty and sentence her to death

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭Linoge

Nulty wrote: »
    I've heard that about the LI before too. There are 3 injections. One paralyses you, the other knocks you out and the combination of the third kills you. I think there were reports that its impossible to tell if the knock out one has worked because the paralysing one means there is no indication from the 'victim'. With out the knock out one the person feels intense pain as they die. Don't quote me on this, this is all off the top of my non-medical head.

Conspiracy to commit murder was always far more serious in the States than the actual act of murder.

Ultimately it doesnt really make a difference. They are dead minutes later, its not like they can remember being in pain! I think it is more important for their families to at least believe they died without pain, and if they are not showing any signs of pain what does it matter? Im sure in most cases these people are at least dying more peacefully than the people they have killed.

Either way, the death penalty is absolutely ridiculous. I wish they actually did stone people to death because the clinicalness of lethal injection only helps to hide the barbarism of it all.

In my opinion the justice system should protect the public from criminals and punish those guilty of crimes.

The death penalty only happens after the crime has been committed and the convict would either be killed or sent to jail for life, it has no added benefit over a jail term. So it doesn't protect the public in any way. It is a punishment sure enough but it's not a deterrent and has no real value to the public.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

People do realise the difference between low IQ and mental illness don't they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,139 ✭✭✭-Trek-

OK...but how does the death penalty punish? its effectively a free pass from a life time of guilt / jail for the condemned.
    The only value I see in this barbaric practice is revenge for the families and keeping the electorate happy BUT not justice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

PaddyBomb wrote: »
    I heard that her last words were something like "Wow, that was awesome".

Obviously she was mentally retarded. Because any person I seen using the word "awesome" looked mentally retarded.

Can anyone spot the grammatical error?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,925 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Any basic googling would contradict you. The death penalty is far and away more expensive to implement than incarceration.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Four-Percent

thebaz wrote: »
    do you get a choice how you die - I'd select firing squad - no feckin around with poison or fires - what do they use in Switzerland, at that place where you can die early ?

Barbiturates, they shake it up in a can and you drink it, then they leave ye alone.

Overheal wrote: »
    Any basic googling would contradict you. The death penalty is far and away more expensive to implement than incarceration.

So a bullet to the head is more expensive then housing and feeding a serial rapist for 20 years? dunno about that man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭bop1977

So a bullet to the head is more expensive then housing and feeding a serial rapist for 20 years? dunno about that man.

yes it is because all the appeals that go on before the execution costs a lot of money. there were several appeals before they killed her. and when it gets to the final appeal you are talking supreme court which has 9 judges. (OT only 2 judges supported her appeal the rest wanted her dead.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 150 ✭✭mrbig

Dudess wrote: »
    I don't see though how the fact that there is still capital punishment in America therefore makes everyone in the West even the slightest bit of a glasshouse dweller (if that's what you're saying - sorry if it isn't). It wouldn't make me any less critical of Iran, but at the same time, I would be just as critical of the death penalty in the States (or anywhere). Overall though, America is still a better society for ordinary people to live in than an actual dictatorship.

Nothing personal but the fact that America is not a dictatorship doesent make any difference when it comes to killing its citizens. I cant understand how a civilized country can justify such a record on state sanctioned murder.
    How is this any better than Iran? does America kill people in a more civilized way ? or for more justifed reasons?
    The fact that the USA is a democracy does not excuse this it just makes the citizens more responsible for it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

Virginia Executes Woman with IQ of 72

What are Cavan people doing executing people?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

I dont know about that. One of the last times they used the electric chair in the US the guy being executed went on fire. They had to dowse him down and throw the switch again. Fairly awful.
    Eduard Delacroix?
    :pac:

You only don't know because despite a subtle hint, you still haven't appeared to have asked google about it. It's more like Bullets and a Mountain of Legal Expenses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Our politicians have lower IQs and they get away with murder.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Not necessarily. I believe the cost in China is about 30 cents, and the taxpayer doesn't need to pay for it: The family of the condemned is sent the bill for the bullet.

NTM

Not necessarily. I believe the cost in China is about 30 cents, and the taxpayer doesn't need to pay for it: The family of the condemned is sent the bill for the bullet.

NTM
    In the Federal United States :rolleyes:;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

In the Federal United States :rolleyes:;)

That's just the system run amuck. There's no rational reason it should take twenty years for the appropriate legal checks and balances to be carried out. The process has become more important than the purpose. Unfortunately, a problem far too common in the US government today in all spheres, not only judicial.

NTM

bop1977 wrote: »
    yes it is because all the appeals that go on before the execution costs a lot of money. there were several appeals before they killed her. and when it gets to the final appeal you are talking supreme court which has 9 judges. (OT only 2 judges supported her appeal the rest wanted her dead.)

Its such a shame it's so expensive! Who exactly receives the money? I can't imagine how certain appeals cost millions. Life without parole prisoners get the same appeals and but its costs so much more. It makes no sense.

I agree with capital punishment to a certain extent for the absolute scum of the earth.. you know the people that make your blood boil when you read about the acts they have commited! For example, intent to murder and show no remorse, serial killers and child molesters that have no hope of rehabilitation.. does that even work anyways?
    I think that not only does it give a certain sense of closure for the families of the victims but it would ease over crowding in prisions if it wasn't more expensive than life imprisonment and might be more of a deterrent if it happened more regularly. Also it would increase confidence in the justice system knowing that these animals would never be released into society again.

Life without parole prisoners may have cheaper appeal costs but what about their medical care, they're at greater risk to danger, being attacked inside for example and also when they age and the immense cost of geriatric care. Not only that but it makes them more dangerous to prison guards... they have nothing to lose and therefore can become more violent.

In my opinion you forfit your life once you intentionally take someone elses.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭scientific1982

Cavan people really are lousy ****ers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

mrbig wrote: »
    Nothing personal but the fact that America is not a dictatorship doesent make any difference when it comes to killing its citizens. I cant understand how a civilized country can justify such a record on state sanctioned murder.
    How is this any better than Iran? does America kill people in a more civilized way ? or for more justifed reasons?
    The fact that the USA is a democracy does not excuse this it just makes the citizens more responsible for it.
    What I'm saying is, just because there is capital punishment in America doesn't make it "hypocritical" for us in the West to criticise Iran - we have every right to criticise Iran.
    And I absolutely abhor the death penalty and the death row system in the United States, but at the same time, American society for your average person is a nicer, easier one to live in than Iranian society.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭LarrytheLantern

i think folk on here have been reading too many John Grisham books.
    the woman was a double murderer.
    now she's dead.
    end of.

'tis a pity our lousy criminal justice system couldn't so efficient.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Abit OT, but the worst case of a female criminal I've read about is Suzanne Basso.

http://www.trutv.com/library/crime/notorious_murders/women/suzanne_basso/index.html

Its such a shame it's so expensive! Who exactly receives the money? I can't imagine how certain appeals cost millions. Life without parole prisoners get the same appeals and but its costs so much more. It makes no sense.

I agree with capital punishment to a certain extent for the absolute scum of the earth.. you know the people that make your blood boil when you read about the acts they have commited! For example, intent to murder and show no remorse, serial killers and child molesters that have no hope of rehabilitation.. does that even work anyways?
    I think that not only does it give a certain sense of closure for the families of the victims but it would ease over crowding in prisions if it wasn't more expensive than life imprisonment and might be more of a deterrent if it happened more regularly. Also it would increase confidence in the justice system knowing that these animals would never be released into society again.

Life without parole prisoners may have cheaper appeal costs but what about their medical care, they're at greater risk to danger, being attacked inside for example and also when they age and the immense cost of geriatric care. Not only that but it makes them more dangerous to prison guards... they have nothing to lose and therefore can become more violent.

In my opinion you forfit your life once you intentionally take someone elses.

I agree 100%

Serial killers and rapists should be executed without appeals, once your convicted of a crime like that, its lights out for you.

That's just the system run amuck. There's no rational reason it should take twenty years for the appropriate legal checks and balances to be carried out. The process has become more important than the purpose. Unfortunately, a problem far too common in the US government today in all spheres, not only judicial.

NTM

Ahhhh yes....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭ascanbe

NTM

Yeah. Why bother with courts or trials or any of that nonsense. Waste of money.
    As you alluded to earlier, America should be looking to China as an example; or better yet, Cambodia under Pol Pot.
    Bullet to the head of anyone the authorities don't like the look of, no questions asked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Misanthrope

Not as bad as Texas, where they let GW Bush,with an IQ of 9,sign execution warrants like they were autographs

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

The Death Penalty should be brought back in Ireland, I can think of many I'd send to a long drop with a short rope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

thebaz wrote: »
    do you get a choice how you die - I'd select firing squad - no feckin around with poison or fires - what do they use in Switzerland, at that place where you can die early ?

Barbitutudes (or however you spell it!)
    Rebelheart wrote: »
    What are Cavan people doing executing people?

You didn't get a single like for that :(
    I agree 100%

Serial killers and rapists should be executed without appeals, once your convicted of a crime like that, its lights out for you.

Whatever about murder I don't think rape deserves the death penalty, it's far too much of a grey area.

Executed without appeal???? Eh what happened if the convictee is innocent?? There's been several cases where previously convicted prisoners were subsequently found not guilty. Under your system they'd already have been murdered by the state.

I also believe they all should have received the death penalty seen as they all ended the lives of those two men! They don't deserve second chances.. once you're big and bold enough to know what is wrong, if you commit such a horrific act as estingushing two lives for money then that bad seed will always be there! Apart from when you get caught and start the sob story it seems... :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement