Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

socket heights - flatscreens

Options
  • 24-09-2010 10:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭

the new rules state that sockets should be installed between 400 and 1200mm above final floor level - is this what is happening on site with regards to high level mounted LCDs and plasmas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

I think that only applies to "general sockets" i.e. for normal day-to-day use. The socket for your wall-mounted wide-screen is more of a one-off special socket. If it's inaccessible it should be connected to an isolating switch too so you can power-off the widescreen and that switch should be reachable by someone in a wheelchair to comply with the building regs :D

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭enmac

in domestic situation building regs only refer to light switces not sockets

could take the view that the tv is a fixed appliance in which case it requires a method of isolation within 2 metres of teh appliance and between 400 and 1600mm from ground level

is this what sparks are doing on site ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

been looking at this lately in work: page 4

http://www.etci.ie/docs/ET101%28E&C06-2009%29.pdf
    you're allowed go outside 400-1200 for dedicated socket outlets

i assume you need an isolating switch if the socket is above 1600 or inaccessible

is it correct building regs don't refer to sockets? seems to be the case

i had always asumed they referred to both -now i don't spend much time reading them!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭enmac

thanks for that Mcebee - was missing that amendment

TV socket for flatscreen should be ok without isolation i reckon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

enmac wrote: »
    thanks for that Mcebee - was missing that amendment

TV socket for flatscreen should be ok without isolation i reckon

I usually put an isolating switch at the side of the tv or below it with sockets behind the tv if they will fit with tv plug in. Use the switch then to turn off the power.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭ntpm

robbie7730 wrote: »
    I usually put an isolating switch at the side of the tv or below it with sockets behind the tv if they will fit with tv plug in. Use the switch then to turn off the power.

Good practice Robbie.
    Takes a bit of planning, especially if the customer doesnt know what size of screen or where they exactly want it.:(

Many people don't like to see a plug or cables when looking at their shinny new plasma/LED/ flatscreen.

So I tend to place the socket behing the screen if posible and have a separate issolation switch in a suitable position.

handy for radials the DP switch and socket

what's the best way to spur off a ring for an appliance
    -considering the possible warranty issues with cutting off plugs

always thought it was bad practice to 'series the 13amp fuses' -so i tend to cut off the plugs

i'm having second thoughts now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

M cebee wrote: »

always thought it was bad practice to 'series the 13amp fuses' -so i tend to cut off the plugs

Would`t of thought it much of a problem with 2 fuses in series, its done a lot with them small extension leads with the 4 socket outlets on them. or any extension lead.
    I never wire ring mains myself, but when added in sockets or spurs i usually add the spur into the ring itself. Whats the situation with actually spurring with a 2.5 t&e from a ring socket out to a spur?

ya prob no big deal

afaik from reading rules -all that's allowed is fused spurs on the ring like you say

and spur 'on the ring' feeding a 16amp socket

think there was a clampdown- including barring them in kitchens

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

People are putting Tv's far too high nowadays anyway.

Just because it's on the wall doesnt mean it has to be touching the bloody ceiling. Whats wrong with putting it at a normal height where your not looking up all the time?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭ntpm

M cebee wrote: »

Just wondering if some of the newer TV plugs now have 3 or 5 Amp fuses in them???
    This is why I use DP Fused Spur Switch with 13A fuse that feeds either a hidden single or double socket. But I always leave the original appliance plug and fuse in place.

ya- i don't cut off many plugs

not tellys anyhow

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭darth_maul

cutting off a moulded plug on any electrical device will void any warranty

Advertisement