Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hidden sockets - isolataion methods

Options
  • 24-09-2010 10:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭

the latest rules call for all inaccessible sockets to be provided with a method of isolation

what does this translate to on site ?

do people use a junction box mounted at ceiling level and feed cables to a switch and a socket ?

do people loop the main radial circuit into the live side of a double pole switch and feed the socket from the switched side ?

are there any other methods being used to comply with regs ?

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

on radials - a 20A DP switch feeding a socket
    is the simplest

on rings and radials - a fused spur to a JB for an appliance-but there's some debate about warrranty and cutting off appliance plugs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

If you have to hide a socket, e.g if it's behind a dishwasher or something. One of the most practical things you can do is use a fused double pole switched spur instead of a socket feeding a 15amp BS546 (non-fused round pin) plug instead of a standard one.

That way, you don't have to pull out furniture in the event of the plug fuse going and you still have the option of easily plugging the appliance out if you're moving it in the future.

As for cutting off the plug, I don't think they'd be able to invalidate the warranty. There are usually instructions with appliances that advise you to cut off the plug and replace it with an appropriate one if the plug is not suitable for connection to the sockets in your house.

E.g. if your house had older round pin sockets, or European style side earthed sockets etc.

So, I really think you're fine cutting the plug off and using an alternative connection. Provided the appliance is protected by an appropriate fuse arrangement it's fine.

All modern appliances are designed to conform with European standards anyway, so they are designed to be connected via a non-fused and non-polarised plug directly to a 16A circuit.

i meant 'Switched Spur' obviously not fuse only

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭enmac

thanks folks,

Double pole isolating switch and standard socket for me so.

AFAIK the round pin BS546 sockets should solely be used for table lamps ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

enmac wrote: »
    thanks folks,

Double pole isolating switch and standard socket for me so.

AFAIK the round pin BS546 sockets should solely be used for table lamps ?

15amp table lamps?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭enmac

i thought they were available in 5amp version for table lamps and are allowed if connected through a switch

15 amp BS546 sockets should not be used in the manner described earlier

table lamp sockets

yes- you just gotta rcd/rcbo them

are 15amps allowed-doubt it?

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭seaniefr

Solair wrote: »
    If you have to hide a socket, e.g if it's behind a dishwasher or something. One of the most practical things you can do is use a fused double pole switched spur instead of a socket feeding a 15amp BS546 (non-fused round pin) plug instead of a standard one.

That way, you don't have to pull out furniture in the event of the plug fuse going and you still have the option of easily plugging the appliance out if you're moving it in the future.

As for cutting off the plug, I don't think they'd be able to invalidate the warranty.
    Am afraid you are quite wrong on this..if you interfere with any part of the appliance by which i mean dismantling or otherwise opening some part that you should'nt you would be invalidating the warranty. It would be at the discretion of the engineer on the day but as far i know most suppliers now contract this work out to local appliance repair companies so they are under no obligation to you as they are getting paid anyway!

Advertisement