Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MA in History???

Options
  • 24-09-2010 11:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26

Hey all!!

I'm doing my hdip at the moment and one of my subjects isnt taught in all schools, actually only a select few. My question is if I were to do a masters in History even though my subjects are italian and english would I be qualifed to teach history with a masters in it? Any help at all would be great! thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Do you've any history in your undergrad?
    As far as I know, having an MA in history doesn't qualify you to teach history, if I remember rightly, e 1/3 of your undergrad needs to be history for you to be able to teach it (with a H.Dip)

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Plautus

You also wouldn't qualify for the MA without a 2.2. (at least) in a cognate discipline such as Politics, Law, Economics, Sociology or something along those lines (and history is preferred.)

There's also a Masters Qualifying Exam, which is an entrance exam for non-History students without a cognate discipline, but that's a lot of bother just to get onto a course that merely builds on historiographical concepts and factual knowledge/document based skills that are inculcated in history undergrads. A quicker way to get an accreditation to teach history would be to do the HDip in History.

Advertisement