Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's there to see on the new Luas extension?

Options
  • 24-09-2010 11:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭

So, the new luas extension is opening next month and of course its great for the people living along the extension. But what attractions are there along the line that people might travel out to on the new line? As in, I live in Dundrum (which is its own attraction on the green line) and like to get off at Milltown for a walk along the river, I get off in Ranelagh/Beechwood if i wanted a nice brunch or lunch and the obviously there is town for some shopping.... is there anywhere/anything of note on the new extension that would be worth the journey along the new extension to see/do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

you could get off at Bridges Glen and see a Celtic Tiger wreck, half finished estate and acres of wasteland that was never developed.
    :D

other than that nothing comes to mind really

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

Theres not much around there. Shopping wise there is Carrickmines Retail park. Harvey Norman, TK Maxx etc.

Oh and at Leopardstown S.C there is a fantastic florists...if you ever buy flowers etc for anyone. They won some type of award there a while ago too. Other than that, theres nothing to see or do really.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

There's lepardstown racecourse on racedays. For some reason, its not even certain to open then for some reason!!

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Onearmedbandit

I know its due to open in October but when abouts in October? Cant wait I am sick of the 145 into town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭dynamick

is there anywhere/anything of note on the new extension that would be worth the journey along the new extension to see/do?
    There is an ancient Dolmen in the garden of a house on Brennanstown Rd (Carrickmines stop)
    http://www.megalithicireland.com/Brenanstown%20Dolmen.htm

There is a 1,000 yr old church with celtic crosses in a field near laughanstown stop. Something to do with St Bridget.
    http://read-out.net/cabinteely/tully/site.html

You can get off at the last stop and walk south towards the lead mines in Ballycorus where there is a coillte marked path to follow.
    I know its due to open in October but when abouts in October? Cant wait I am sick of the 145 into town.
    Opens Saturday 16th. Free to use the green line for the weekend.
    http://www.luas.ie/page.php?name=Blank

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

benwavner wrote: »
    Theres not much around there. Shopping wise there is Carrickmines Retail park. Harvey Norman, TK Maxx etc.

Oh and at Leopardstown S.C there is a fantastic florists...if you ever buy flowers etc for anyone. They won some type of award there a while ago too. Other than that, theres nothing to see or do really

Canot wait to get to Carrickmines, it is impossbile to lug anything out from town on the bus! Luas stops about 100 meters from my door!!!
    If I see that N11 one more time I may top myself. Not to mention you can NEVER get a buggy into town most days! 145 turns up once a blue moon at the best of times, but trying to get one without a buggy when you are in a hurry!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

afaik, its the 17th Oct

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

afaik, its the 17th Oct

Ah so the link quoted two posts above to the LUAS site that states October 16th at 11am must be wrong so!

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭greenbicycle

[
    You can get off at the last stop and walk south towards the lead mines in Ballycorus where there is a coillte marked path to follow. ]

that sounds great, these are the kind of things im asking about! i must look up that walk...

oh meant to say i am lokoing forward to a bit of shopping in carrickmines also! thats a great TK MAXX out there!

• Advertisement

[
    You can get off at the last stop and walk south towards the lead mines in Ballycorus where there is a coillte marked path to follow. ]

that sounds great, these are the kind of things im asking about! i must look up that walk...

that's no-where near the Luas. you would be better off getting a bus to Shankill where it starts.

that's no-where near the Luas. you would be better off getting a bus to Shankill where it starts.

AHHHhhhhhhhhhhhhh! :-(

that ruins that plan so, is there no where of worth to go for a walk out there no?

map

a is luas
    b you can walk down to directly, almost in a straight line (ignore direction blue line) and then to C
    from C to either D (coilte route) or E (country road) you can walk up to the leadmines

C to E there is a more direct route if you delete point D

if all that makes sense

EDIT: from cherrywood stop rather than Bridgeglen you may be able to get to A and then walk all the way up (this is a nice walk)
    another map

That's really helpful Cookie Monster, i love a good map!
    besides it being a nice walk are the lead mines actually interesting to see? or are they just big quarries?

looking forward to the luas extension opening now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭dynamick

EDIT: from cherrywood stop rather than Bridgeglen you may be able to get to A and then walk all the way up (this is a nice walk)
    another map
    The old church and celtic crosses are worth seeing on this route.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

I'm looking forward to the extension - it will be real handy for one of my long walks from Ballinteer - Scalp - Carrickgollogan - Laughanstown. The stretch from Laughanstown to the Ballycorus road is a very attractive walk even with the M50 cutting through it. And with the Autumn colours about to get into full swing in sync with the opening, should be even better.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 W31rd0

are the lead mines actually interesting to see? or are they just big quarries?

The Lead mines are quite interesting, tall chimney on top of hill, lots of chimney/tunnel left leading down the hill, wood paths to walk right there and lovely walk up Carrickologan.
    http://www.dublinmountains.ie/index.php?id=134

We had fun today visiting Glendruid/Brennanstown Dolmen from Carrickmines+Brennanstown(not operational) Luas stops:
    http://gaoithe.blogspot.com/2011/03/local-cycle-walk-brennanstown-dolmen.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

There are a couple of ghost stations after Ballyogan Wood. Some say they are haunted.

Pauleta wrote: »
    There are a couple of ghost stations after Ballyogan Wood. Some say they are haunted.

the ghostly outlines of luxury apartments can be seen at twilight...

:P

Advertisement