Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taco Sauce

Options
  • 24-09-2010 11:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Can this be got anywhere? I'm talking about the pale pink spicy sauce you get on taco chips from takeaways, not to be confused with the Old el Paso jars of puree that goes on fajitas.

Most supermarket i've been into in the past 5 years years i check the condiments and sauces aisles in vain for this stuff, never to be found. My missus used to work in a deli in her student days and managed to get me a 3 litre tub of the stuff but it was gone off before i could get through 10% of it. I have no access to deli supplies any more :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Is that not just ketchup & mayo mixed together?

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭S.R.F.C.

olaola wrote: »
    Is that not just ketchup & mayo mixed together?

No!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭ciano1

Superquinn sell a yummy taco sauce at their deli counters.. Fairly cheap if I remember right.

Failing that, you could always buy it in portions from the take away :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭evercloserunion

S.R.F.C. wrote: »
    No!
    I've heard it's ketchup, mayo and chilli powder.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭S.R.F.C.

I've heard it's ketchup, mayo and chilli powder.

Some possible help here OP; http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055002526

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭moretothegirl

I have noticed a version at a lot of deli counters in tescos, supervalus etc. Its in a squeezy bottle with other salad type sauces like may etc.

I would love to know how to make up the mince that they put on the taco chips though! I have tried different things but they never taste the same!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 City_girl

tezzy_v2 wrote: »
    Can this be got anywhere? I'm talking about the pale pink spicy sauce you get on taco chips from takeaways, not to be confused with the Old el Paso jars of puree that goes on fajitas.

Most supermarket i've been into in the past 5 years years i check the condiments and sauces aisles in vain for this stuff, never to be found. My missus used to work in a deli in her student days and managed to get me a 3 litre tub of the stuff but it was gone off before i could get through 10% of it. I have no access to deli supplies any more :(

Rich sauces up north sell it, i'm getting it delivered lol. I know blenders sell it but not nice at all, its a diff colour and doesn't taste as nice. By any chance do ya know what the mince sauce is for taco chips? Is it chilli or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Kenny_D

I have noticed a version at a lot of deli counters in tescos, supervalus etc. Its in a squeezy bottle with other salad type sauces like may etc.

I would love to know how to make up the mince that they put on the taco chips though! I have tried different things but they never taste the same!

Just add a packet of Old El Paso Taco seasoning to some mince fried with onions. Very simple to get the mince right. Some delis/butchers sell the proper Richer Sauces taco sauce and once you can get the proper mayo its very easy to make at home

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Last time I was at the Epicurean Food Hall, the Taco Taco place had a stall with loads of Mexican condiments. Maybe they have what you are looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭moretothegirl

GStormcrow wrote: »
    Just add a packet of Old El Paso Taco seasoning to some mince fried with onions. Very simple to get the mince right. Some delis/butchers sell the proper Richer Sauces taco sauce and once you can get the proper mayo its very easy to make at home

I've tried this before already but its still not the same as the mince added on taco chips in chippers! The sauce is easy I have came across is many times in shops near salad counters but the mince is more difficult to get right. The Old El Paso Taco seasoning isn't quite right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Kenny_D

Well I made these again yesterday and they tasted even better than the takeaways. I used a full packet of taco seasoning to make it nice and spicy, and added mushrooms/onions, taco sauce and cheese. Anyone who I've made them for reckon they taste the same or nicer than the ones from abrakebabra so its probably as close as you will get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I was looking up doner kebab sauces, seems it is usually a yoghurt & garlic sauce, and also a hot sauce. I got a small tub of natural yoghurt, mixed in mince garlic, lemon juice and franks hot sauce.

Came out pretty nice, the garlic was uncooked and might have worked a bit better if cooked off a little with the franks, and then let cool and mix in with the yoghurt.

Advertisement