Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Fly Fair

Options
  • 24-09-2010 11:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭

Just saw a mention of this fair on inland fisheries website, looks like a proper dedicated fly fishing fair! :D spend all my hard earned before Brian & Co take the rest in December!

http://www.irishflyfair.com/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

i think as this is Ireland we should have a 'Irish Poaching fair' or even a 'kill all you catch fair'........they would get more to attend.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭aidanf

premiercad wrote: »
    Just saw a mention of this fair on inland fisheries website, looks like a proper dedicated fly fishing fair! :D spend all my hard earned before Brian & Co take the rest in December!

http://www.irishflyfair.com/

Might be interesting. Has anyone been to one of these before?
    i think as this is Ireland we should have a 'Irish Poaching fair' or even a 'kill all you catch fair'........they would get more to attend.

This comment seems to me to be totally unrelated to the original post. Are you trying to derail it to another discussion about whether to release everything you catch? At least wait until there are a few posts on the original topic first.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

I'm getting deja vu with this conversation ...

Kelly's Heroes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KuStsFW4EmQ

Oddball (premiercad):
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    Moriarty (ironbluedun): Crap!

rotfl.gif

Back on topic:
    I thought this was in Down in the North of Ireland, but the link says Galway. Is this a new flyfair?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

I have never been to one of these fairs but my father and his fishing buddies have gone to them frequently and throughly enjoyed themselves.

Definitely worth a look if you can get there. :)

Yes, it's in Galway. There was mention of it in this months Irish Angler and they said they'd have more details of it in next months issue.

• Advertisement

Ah FFS lads will ya calm down only a joke LIGHTEN UP................coolwings very funny if i say so myself............but really a poaching fair why not?? there are so many poachers around now.

seriously it does seem a good fair, well from the website anyway.....i wonder will many from here go to the lecture on conservation????????????????????? go on you know you want to.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Kells...

Was gonna go but my nephews christening the 13th

• Closed Accounts Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Rycn

Definitely going to this, missed the one in citywest last year :(

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭TimMac

One in the citywest was very good, loads of flyfishing demonstrations and they stocked a little pond with rainbows and anybody with a fly rod could have a go trying to catch one and some of them were tagged. if you caught a tagged one you would win a prize
    Rycn wrote: »
    Definitely going to this, missed the one in citywest last year :(

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭premiercad

ironbluedun be honest you have been looking at DryFly's posts again!!! Remember what the anger management class topic was this week?? Embrace your fellow fisher! :D:D:D

back on topic..looking at the website I am happy that there seems to be a huge amount of fly tyers coming along and a good selection of tackle shops, and no I will not be buying a good heavy flat knife :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭premiercad

I thought this was in Down in the North of Ireland, but the link says Galway. Is this a new flyfair?

From the IFI website ......"Most of the top names in fly tying and angling worldwide will be in Galway this November for the inaugural Irish Fly Fair. The event will take place from 13-14 November 2010 in the Galway Bay Hotel, Salthill, Galway." this seems to be a new fair altogether although a lot of the faces seem the same.

premiercad wrote: »
    ironbluedun be honest you have been looking at DryFly's posts again!!!:

eh ah no i dont think so.................too much verbal diaherra there for me.....:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 34 dody

Is there an admission fee at the door? I can't see any on their website

I think I read somewhere that its €10 admission for adults. But I can't see it on the website now so I'm not certain that that's correct.

Edit: Just checked a flyer I got for it in a magazine. The flyer says €10 for adults, €5 for children and OAPs and €25 for a family ticket.

Thanks aidanf . I found out that under 5's are free .
    I think i might leave them at home. Has any one tried to tie flies while minding 2 little kids:mad:

I had to yesterday was minding my two nephews little feckers

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭DConway

Did anyone go to this today? Was it in any good? Worth going to?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 mga1761

Had a peek in there today (even though fly fishing isn't my thing!). Well setup with lots of exhibitions, presentations, etc. Caught a bit of a fly casting demo outside (until it started to rain). The guy was very entertaining I have to say, and boy could he cast! He was drawing gasps from most of the spectators (who I assumed knew a bit about fly casting - unlike me :o!!). A Welsh guy I believe. Din't get his name. Excellent!

Some good deals to be had inside on all sorts of gear (fly tying bits, reels, rods, clothing, you-name-it).

There seemed to be good crowds attending when I was there and great to see it well supported. I'd just love to see it as a "Fishing Fair", covering all aspect of angling and not just fly fishing :). But that's just me ;).

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Caribs

Went in on Sat and it was well worth the visit. Fly tying was excellent and my 6 year was engrossed with the guys turning hen feathers into flies.

They seemed to have a lot of big names (in fly fishing anyway) with the 2010 world champion Mike Keady and his Hardy Grey colleagues Jackie Coyne, Stevie Munn and Doc O'Sullivan in situ. as one of the posters said it was very much a fly fishing event and the casting was very impressive.

Reckon the Welsh guy referred to was Hywel Morgan - regularly on Discovery Channel and a brilliant caster.

Saw a lady demonstrating the double handed spey casting, was really impressive.

Overall a great event

Went and it was Hywel morgan that was doing the casting and I think it was Glenda Powell that was doing the spey casting

• Advertisement

I didn't get there till 2 today but was very impressed with it. There was a great range of flytying materials for sale. I had a good nose through the capes there. There was one stand selling chevron capes run by the woman who breeds the genetic birds herself.
    Tried out the fishing simulator but felt a bit silly playing tug o war with a big telly:o
    There were two long tables upstairs in the atrium with about 20 expert fly tyers
    there ,set up making flies. Alice Conba , a fly dresser from tipp, showed me how she ties my favourite fly. It was worth going just for the fly tying lesson.Thanks Alice.
    At the end of the day an english stall offered me an orvis battenkill 2 fly reel for 90 yoyos . I'd say he could have gone down to 80 but i didn't need a reel. Maybe next year if its on.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 mga1761

Caribs wrote: »
    Reckon the Welsh guy referred to was Hywel Morgan - regularly on Discovery Channel and a brilliant caster.

As I said, fly fishing isn't my thing, but great to see guys (and gals') of this calibre attending such an event!!! If the Welsh casting guy was Hywel Morgan, then I'm not surprised that he was impressive (even from the perspective of a a non-Fly angler). He's got some pedigree...

Needless to say, I had to look him up...

http://www.hywelmorgan.co.uk/about.html

Well done to the organisers!

Advertisement