Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storage Temperature

Options
  • 24-09-2010 12:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭

I am planning to get some Larger going after Christmas. It will be my first time. I am trying to figure out what temperature you need to store the keg/drum at when its fermentilg. I will be making it in Norway, not the warmest country after Christmas. Can anybody tell me the temp range I should keep the beer at? It will be in the basement.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭mayto

Making a true lager can require temps of about 10C for most of the fermentation, and possibly 16C for a short period to complete. It also usually requires a lagering perion of about 4 weeks at near freezing temps. This is just one way to ferment a lager. Norway could be a great place in winter to make a lager :D . If you are just starting out you will probably get a kit lager which generally come with an ale yeast and ferment at about 18C, much easier process. Brupaks do a lager kit which comes with a true lager yeast if your up for a challenge :)

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Irishrossoblu

mayto wrote: »
    Making a true lager can require temps of about 10C for most of the fermentation, and possibly 16C for a short period to complete. It also usually requires a lagering perion of about 4 weeks at near freezing temps. This is just one way to ferment a lager. Norway could be a great place in winter to make a lager :D . If you are just starting out you will probably get a kit lager which generally come with an ale yeast and ferment at about 18C, much easier process. Brupaks do a lager kit which comes with a true lager yeast if your up for a challenge :)

So if I start out with the basic pack, I will need to store the fermenting beer at 18c? If so, for how long would it have to be at 18c? The True Lager sounds interesting, but will try my hand at the easy stuff first. Thanks for your advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

So if I start out with the basic pack, I will need to store the fermenting beer at 18c? If so, for how long would it have to be at 18c? The True Lager sounds interesting, but will try my hand at the easy stuff first. Thanks for your advice.

Give it two weeks and it will make an nice blond ale or pesudo lager

Advertisement