Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Backlogs?

• 24-09-2010 12:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭

At present PRSI refund cliams are backlogged for 12 weeks.
    FIS is backlogged for 10 weeks.

Assume others are close to that, the cynic in me leads to believe this is not due to understaffing or workload.

How can a country like ours with a massive amount of civil servants have such a backlog?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 212 ✭✭TheQ47

dreamers75 wrote: »
    At present PRSI refund cliams are backlogged for 12 weeks.
    FIS is backlogged for 10 weeks.

Assume others are close to that, the cynic in me leads to believe this is not due to understaffing or workload.

How can a country like ours with a massive amount of civil servants have such a backlog?

Is there a massive amount of civil servants? I don't know about that.

I heard a news report within the last week, something about the number of public servants increasing, and maybe this is what you're talking about. But, don't forget, that's public servants, and includes teachers, guards, nurses, HSE staff, County/City Councils, Etc., Etc., in fact everyone paid by the state for their work. The number of civil servants is decreasing, due to the policy of not filling jobs which become vacant i.e., after retirement, Etc.

Think about your local SW office, for example. 3 years ago the unemployment rate was around 4.4%, right? Now it's around 13.8% (both figures for the month of August 2007/2010 from CSO) So that means for every 10 people signing on at your local SW office in August 2007, there are now nearly 11 signing on, almost a 10% increase. But the numbers working there have not increased by 10%, or anything near it. In fact they've probably dropped as vacant jobs are not being replaced.

It's easy to blame the civil servants working on the frontline, but it's usually at a higher level than that where the problems lie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 102 ✭✭OmeGar

Well backlogs were always a part of the system, even in a world of "Full" employment. Since then there has been a massive increase in work load in most sections and while some extra staff has arrived from other gov depts (who have decentralized or similar)

Staff has been moved around to try and get more staff into getting backlogs sorted. However PRSI refunds would have a lower level of importance for extra staff as they are not a Primary support payments. Extra staff first goes to LO's and Illness Benefits and other Primary support sections.

Also a lot of Staff into the dept. has come because they did not want to decentralise with their parent dept. and so are limited to Dublin. FIS is in Lonford as far as i know.

But yeah sure its all just Lazy Civil Servents, who aren't dealing with a 150% increase in workload and a 10% paycut!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 212 ✭✭TheQ47

Actually looking over the figures I wrote above, It was obviously Friday afternoon, as they're complete cack! The correct figures to use in this way are the live register figures.

In August 2008, there were 235,200 on the live register.
    In August 2010, there are 455,000 on the live register.

That's an increase of 201,800, or a 79.6% increase.

I can guarantee you that the numbers working on this major increase in claims for JA/JB has not increased by 79%, in fact it hasn't even increased by 10%.

Advertisement