Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cracked tiles

• 24-09-2010 12:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

I have a number of cracked floor tiles, down about 3 years. Cracks are there for at least the last year. Is there anything I can do other than replace them?
    Also is it a subfloor or tiling fault?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

if the subloor is timber it probably flexed a bit resulting in the cracks in the first place. where are the tiles? is it for waterproofing? i am sure there is a sealer you could probably get.

but if its the subfloor that is flexing the problem will probably get gradually worse.

if you do choose to replace the floor and it is the subfloor flexing you will need to reinforce the floor. easy enough to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Could also be that the tiles were not properly stuck down. If there wasn't enough adhesive all around the tile it can crack over time (on a concrete floor)

If you knock on the tile all around it, does it sound hollow?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 cmas

There are cracks in 2 types of tile. One is in the kitchen and utility and the other a polished porcelain in my hall. There are also cracks along the grout in places. The tiles are laid over a concrete floor with underfloor heating. The correct adhesive was supplied to the tiler. I'd be surprised if there was too little adhesive as I remember the builder commenting on how much (as in too much) he was using in the hall.
    One of the tiles will have to be replaced I'd say as there is a ridge along the crack and I'll have a child crawling o them anyday now. The rest are just unsightly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

It sounds like settlement cracks. How new was the house when the floor was laid and are the cracks apearing in odd places like doorways or at junction....If you take pictures i can guestimate the type of fault and give you an idea of what can go down...

Just on a related topic.....

would it not be worrying having settlement cracks like that in the rc slab of a house and also having underflorr heating also?

• Advertisement

Martron wrote: »
    Just on a related topic.....

would it not be worrying having settlement cracks like that in the rc slab of a house and also having underflorr heating also?

Yip it would. Its i believe the real reason most underdfloor is done on flaxi pipe... To allow for stretch but i dont know the industry official reasons.

New to this so gonna try to add pics....

The area are at doorways, one at the back door, the other from kitchen into sunroom and the third from kitchen to hall.

the fact that the crack runs on the same line through several tiles suggests to me that the crack is actually forming in the concrete from below. it would be unusual for it to be caused by the adhesive when the cracks are like this.

how old is the house? have you bad settlemnet cracks on the walls.

you probably better off leaving for a while because any repair you do will more than likely need repairing again.

if you were to replace it you would need something like a plywood base so the tiles will not move witht hte concrete floor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Martron wrote: »
    the fact that the crack runs on the same line through several tiles suggests to me that the crack is actually forming in the concrete from below. it would be unusual for it to be caused by the adhesive when the cracks are like this.

how old is the house? have you bad settlemnet cracks on the walls.

you probably better off leaving for a while because any repair you do will more than likely need repairing again.

if you were to replace it you would need something like a plywood base so the tiles will not move witht hte concrete floor

+1
    Those cracks are nothing to do with the way the tiles were laid, they are far too long for that. Its more related to the floor underneath moving. Could be just settling cracks though, if the floor is reasonably new

Settlement cracks.. imo...unless your very unlucky which i doubt it...

This is why i always tell people to keep a box of tiles... Its not condescening but the 30 euro or so per box would have been the cheapest insurence policy...

Its hard to do much with the type of tiles...One looks like a solid beige porc so you should get a match... Just ask for a "sample" so you can show the misses or tell her to ask for a sample to lay down and show you...

• Advertisement

ah the ol sample trick. most places will give you one tile as a sample. replacing one tile can be awkward enough. slow and steady is the trick. making sure to remove all old adhesive etc to maintain current level.

Thanks for the advice. Hoping so there won't be any more. Have to start scouring the tile shops...

Advertisement