Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recycling centre Portarlington

Options
  • 24-09-2010 12:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭

Just back from my third ever visit to the recycling centre. Have to say
    the man working there is a complete donkey.
    1st he accused me of being a painter as i had 6 old paint cans as i was clearing out my shed and then he proceeded to look for more money.

The he goes onto telling me i had to pay twice the price because my trailer
    was too big, it was an 8ft by 4 ft trailer with a couple of carboard boxes a few paint cans and an old electrical item, would have easily fitted it in the back of my car and paid 3 euro only did not want to dirty my car
    I told him i would dispose of myself elsewhere because of his ignorant manner and as the rates are clearly displayed on the sign.

Just think its a shame to have a great facility in the town that is let down
    by one mans ignorance. Has anyone else had any problems in the place?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 873 ✭✭✭spiggotpaddy

i went in with 3 cans of used oil. he said how many 3? oh i dont know. do you work in a garage?

he's a forty watt bulb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

That place is a dump.........:o

Seriouly they want you to recycle but ask you to pay ???? Yet i can go to Portlaoise ( creating a lovely big carbon footprint ) and do it for free. It honestly makes no sense.

Oh and the above are not the only complaints i've heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Roaster

Is this a private dump or council owned. If it is council owned, surely he can be reported.

Another question, does it open on Saturdays?

Well i think AEG or whatever they are called are involved in it as their skips are there ?

But it has a sign for European funding so the council/Dept of Enviorment must be involved somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

portlaoise recycling centre is 3 euro now.
    portarlington had same experince,he tried charging me 10 euro,he must be pocketing.

• Advertisement

portlaoise recycling centre is 3 euro now.
    portarlington had same experince,he tried charging me 10 euro,he must be pocketing.

What a complete joke to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭ILA

What a complete joke to be honest.
    Yep. They say its to help keep the landfill running as it was unprofitable (blatantly untrue) and they were attempting to privatise it entirely, despite the fact that available evidence shows that it's not doing too badly at all, when compared to other services.

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭voodoo

I agree! I went last week and machine swallowed the guy in front of me's money... I went to the office and he was asleep in the office! I had to knock really hard to wake him up. I then told him I had cardboard and he took my money and told me to drive around without going through the barrier! No doubt he is pocketing half the takings... He needs to be reported as he really put me off going back in there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭ILA

voodoo wrote: »
    He needs to be reported as he really put me off going back in there!

The lads at the Portlaoise one do be asleep as well, I found one sleeping in the shipping container which is used for depositing used books one day.

Well then I guess someone needs to get the courage to do that:

Reporting a Problem form:
    http://www.laois.ie/ContactUs/contactform/index.aspx?ContactType=3

Reporting a Problem by Post:
    Laois County Council,
    Áras an Chontae,
    Portlaoise,
    Co. Laois,
    Ireland.

Reporting a Problem by phone:
    Reception: 057 86 64000

• Registered Users Posts: 873 ✭✭✭spiggotpaddy

i went in again today, one year later. i had six cans of oil, emptied into the tank,when the same guy came over giving out. quite abusive. "whatever i f***ing say goes"

his main point was that the facility is for domestic use. i told him it was from my car and my brothers cars and it is domestic use. he said there is a ten to fifteen litres limit.
    i change the oil in our cars twice a year, then off to the recycling centre.

i don't think i will go back in there again.

• Advertisement
Advertisement