Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cycling Cafe/Restaurant

• 24-09-2010 1:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭

Is there any proper cycling cafes/restaurants in Ireland. Places where you stop on a ride or go to when not cycling, that are running by cyclists & actually like cyclists as oppose to viewing us as just regular paying customers?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I doubt it and it sounds like a poor idea tbh as you'd have a café that you're aiming at one small group of people. F&B has a very low net profit due to it being very labour intensive and there really wouldn't be enough cyclists to make any profit. An alternative which has been discussed here before would be a bike shop with a coffee station/ area but elf and safety would have something to say about that also. A friend of mine is manager of urban picnic down in south Dublin somewhere that deals with quick lunches, they have a bike in their logo :) If I was setting up something like that I would aim at the health conscious by calling it something along the lines of quicky, health and cheap and have meals called things like the carboloader: perfect for the day before the big event. Whilst this suggests a sportive or marathon you're not limiting it to one sport. Also sell "on the go" meals. Logos of various sports stars, nutritional info on the menus and sell energy packs from the counter but I'd stay away from cyclists as the main market.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

I think Glendalough Fayre also known as the Hippy Cafe is a great spot. Link about it below:
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056021833&highlight=hippy+cafe
    Don't think it's run by cyclists but given the amount of cyclists that stop there to refuel they have to view us as good customers. Have always been treated in a friendly and helpful manner there anyway and they have good facilities for cyclists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Ristorante Romano
    It's disguised, of course. It looks like an Italian restaurant, it even has an Italian name - Romano's. But the game is up as soon as you walk in. Every photograph on the walls has a bicycle in it; there were men in shorts at a couple of the tables with alarmingly large calf muscles, and at one stage in the evening a man in Lycra walked the length of the restaurant carrying a bicycle over his shoulder. At that moment I realised that I'd unknowingly entered the cycling world's Holy of Holies.
    http://www.foodandwine.net/reviews/342.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

I believe Romano's is owned/run by one of those super vets. Any of you who have ever been out on a vet's spin will without a doubt have met him (or at least heard him)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 213 ✭✭The Crunch

bcmf wrote: »
    I believe Romano's is owned/run by one of those super vets. Any of you who have ever been out on a vet's spin will without a doubt have met him (or at least heard him)

Romano Morelli. Excellent sprinter. No Cipo lead out train required, Romano will find a way through on his own!
    And the pasta is truly spectacular...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

LCD wrote: »
    Is there any proper cycling cafes/restaurants in Ireland. Places where you stop on a ride or go to when not cycling, that are running by cyclists & actually like cyclists as oppose to viewing us as just regular paying customers?

Honestly this is a bizarre request. Cyclists are not special you know. When I go to a dining establishment I want to be treated with respect because I am a customer and may become a loyal one if I enjoy the offering. I would hope that I dont come in for special treatment because I cycle (or do anything else for that matter).
    You want some special type of treatment because you got to the cafe on a bike. Are you sure your not mad? Seriously, do you know anything about customer service.
    I have been out cycling in many places, dressed in all sorts of cycling gear. No one in a cafe or behind a counter has ever said you are especially welcome or not welcome at all because you are a cyclist, and because of that your custome is more worthy/unworthy of a better level of service.

BTW, Romanos do really nice pizza. Think you can get a pizza for lunch with side salad and coffe for about a tenner. Worth going there for the photos and the lovely Mercian frame. I wouldnt leave my bike outside however.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Peterx

+1 for Glendalough Fayre at the junction heading into Laragh from Glenmacnass. Very friendly and always delighted to see customers, especially hungry cyclists or walkers.
    Last weekend they even recognised me in my civvies and asked me where was the bike. Great customer service..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 282 ✭✭dubmess

Don't know why this is being seen as such an odd request, there is a trend for cycling cafes in London at the moment so I don't see why it shouldn't happen here.

Here's a Time Out article detailing 4, I've no doubt more have opened since then:
    http://www.timeout.com/london/restaurants/features/9949.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 pmg001

ROK ON wrote: »
    Honestly this is a bizarre request. Cyclists are not special you know. When I go to a dining establishment I want to be treated with respect because I am a customer and may become a loyal one if I enjoy the offering. I would hope that I dont come in for special treatment because I cycle (or do anything else for that matter).
    You want some special type of treatment because you got to the cafe on a bike. Are you sure your not mad? Seriously, do you know anything about customer service.
    I have been out cycling in many places, dressed in all sorts of cycling gear. No one in a cafe or behind a counter has ever said you are especially welcome or not welcome at all because you are a cyclist, and because of that your custome is more worthy/unworthy of a better level of service.

BTW, Romanos do really nice pizza. Think you can get a pizza for lunch with side salad and coffe for about a tenner. Worth going there for the photos and the lovely Mercian frame. I wouldnt leave my bike outside however.

Jesus calm down, you're obviously some of Donald Trump-esque business mogul, but this isn't the apprentice! He was only asking a question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 587 ✭✭✭L'Enfer du Nord

What I’d kind of like is a cycle friendly pub/or cafe which showed live cycling. Come to think of it I hate TV sports in pubs so a cafe would be better. One of my few experiences of watching cycling in a pub was a good few years back, before TG4 started carrying the Tour. It was in some sports bar in temple bar, since I didn’t have Eurosport I went in to watch the tour. The place was fairly empty, most of the other patrons were resting stag parties, I couldn’t really hear the commentary due to loud music. It was the stage Lance got caught up in a plastic bag, fell then put some time into Jan, so it was worth it. The few recently times I’ve been in pubs on a Saturday or Sunday during the day its usually a suburban Dublin pub after a cycle to have a coffee or bite to eat with a friend I sometimes cycle with. Find them quite depressing, bored kids, semi-drunk adults overblown premiership on TV, sunny day outside. Still I think I might enjoy watching Paris-Roubaix surrounded by other cycling fans. Preferably with some euro approved food and beverage, cafe macchiato and pain au chocolat?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The cake cafe on Camden Street isn't exactly bike-friendly, but there's a whole pile of art on the wall outside made from bike parts. Good to look at and talk about while you're eating your cake. Which too is pretty awesome. I think there's a back entrance, but I usually just go through the Daintree shop to get in.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭rp

There's always Starbucks, and most have plate glass windows so you can admire the sun glinting off your SS's florescent yellow chain parked outside while you enjoy a Latte Machiatto, reading Vice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭victorcarrera

These are popular with cyclists at weekends but dont have a specific cycling theme.
    Hill of Tara.
    Mother Hubbards Enfield/Kinegad.
    Fidelma,s main st, Dunshaughlin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

LCD wrote: »

I don't get it. Why would you want that. Have you been turfed out of places for being a cyclist, or seen "no cyclist" signs? Do you have to disguise your cycling gear to get a cuppa?

• Registered Users Posts: 43 bikefreakvinnie

Well its not a café or restaurant but is super cyclist friendly (so had to give it a mention).. The Welcome Inn on Parnel st!.. You can have the bike in the pub beside you!

• Registered Users Posts: 46 kemase

These are popular with cyclists at weekends but dont have a specific cycling theme.
    Hill of Tara.
    Mother Hubbards Enfield/Kinegad.
    Fidelma,s main st, Dunshaughlin.

I'd add the Seamus Ennis Centre in the Naul to that list. Often full of cyclists on a Sunday morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭dave2pvd

I guess I am spoiled. A few miles from my house is the Marlay House. They showed all the classics. TdF every day. No doubt the World's will be on this weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭cantalach

So this cyclist goes into a cafe and takes a seat by the window. The owner comes over and says, "we don't serve cyclists in here...but there's a place just five minutes down the road where they'll serve you."

The guy is dumbfounded. "But I'm Fabian Cancellara," he says.

"Fair enough," says the owner, "two minutes down the road."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭snollup

cantalach wrote: »
    So this cyclist goes into a cafe and takes a seat by the window. The owner comes over and says, "we don't serve cyclists in here...but there's a place just five minutes down the road where they'll serve you."

The guy is dumbfounded. "But I'm Fabian Cancellara," he says.

"Fair enough," says the owner, "two minutes down the road."

Very good!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 171 ✭✭ten speed racer

• Advertisement
Advertisement