Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Please help

• 24-09-2010 1:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 35

I have a toshiba laptop that recently died taking with it all my work and college material. While it's being fixed I'm getting a loan of my sisters laptop same make and model as mine. If I connect my 02 modem from my laptop into her machine will it have somehow have kept a record of all the essays, accounts and websites i lost on my machine? Do modems store information or is it all gone? :o

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Sorry, but you don't have a hope in hell of getting anything like that off the modem.

Best plan of action imo is to take the hard drive out of the old laptop and put it in an enclosure (you should be able to get one from Maplins/PCworld etc)
    This would give you a makeshift external hard drive that you could plug into your sister's laptop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭akamossie

everything would be stored in your previous laptop, as the o2 modem provide intenet only and nothing else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Everything saved to the laptops Hard Drive is saved there unless you loaded them on to a memory stick or burned them on to a cd/dvd. So they're still on your old laptop.

What exactly happened to your one?

You can buy drive caddys that you can take out the old hard drive put it in to one of these and get all your old files again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 starman1

As you can probably tell I'm not very technical. My laptop died in the middle of an important work account. The screen went grey and froze for an hour. I unplugged it and let the battery die but after that it wouldn't even turn back on when it was plugged in. I haven't told the boss just took it to a shop and begged them to make it work. It's been a week and it's still not back. I guessed that a modem wouldn't hold any information so it looks like it's a waiting game. Thank you all for your speedy replies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭akamossie

make sure that, they retreive your data before do anything like formatting the drive or something, and do as suggested from chin_grin, just go to the shop and asked them that you want the hard drive in a case with USB compatibility

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Assuming it's just died, as you said, chances are everything EXCEPT what you were working on should still be ok on the harddrive. If you were using Word, the document recovery function might have saved some of the stuff you were working on but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Also, when I was getting harddrive enclosures, i found the difference in getting them in store and online was huge so if you can afford to wait a few days I'd def recommend getting one online

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

starman1 wrote: »
    As you can probably tell I'm not very technical. My laptop died in the middle of an important work account. The screen went grey and froze for an hour. I unplugged it and let the battery die but after that it wouldn't even turn back on when it was plugged in. I haven't told the boss just took it to a shop and begged them to make it work. It's been a week and it's still not back. I guessed that a modem wouldn't hold any information so it looks like it's a waiting game. Thank you all for your speedy replies.

If and when you do get it back I'd consider getting the Hard Drive out (ensure machine is plugged out and turn it over. Should be those tiny screws like the ones for glasses, you're going to need a precision screwdriver there.)

Anyways after removing the hard drive you'll need to see if the connection is IDE or SATA (I'd say the latter).

enclosure.jpg

^ that's kinda what it'll look like. In the pic is a PC hard drive. Laptop ones are smaller (2.5 inches). Just to make sure you get the right one.

So when you have your hard drive in the external case you just plug it in via usb and it'll pick it up on any other machine as an external drive. You should be able to get your documents back that way.

Best of luck!

Advertisement