Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wilkinson Pickups...any good?

• 24-09-2010 1:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭

Has anybody tried wilkinson pickups and if so what do you think of them? Im doing up a telecaster with generic probably chinese pickups in itl. They work but id like to upgrade them without spending the price of the guitar again on them. A set of wilkinsons tele pups goes for around 30 euro on Ebhay and im thinking about trying some out.
    Any reports, advice, suggestions, welcome
    Cheers:):):)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 888 ✭✭✭quicklickpaddy

From what I've heard - I haven't actually played Wilkinsons - but you're better off sticking with the stock pickups over those.

If you need pickups cheap I'd suggest going for the Guitar Fetish ones. The extra 30-40 quid would make a big difference!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭IVRZ

Thanks QLP. That bad eh? I tried GFS noiseless before, put one of their prewired pickguards on a strat. THe pups were just OK, nothing special, and the postage was a bit too. Im reluctant to try them again, they seem to overhype their stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 888 ✭✭✭quicklickpaddy

It was the Jimi's that I've heard are good. Never talked to anyone with the Noiseless ones...

If you were willing to stretch your budget and go the whole hog on pickups I'd strongly recommend it. I just put some Lace Sensor Hot Golds into a Squire Strat (when I was getting them wired I also put in a little switch that means I have 7 pickup selections - the standard 5 on a strat plus Neck + Bridge and all 3 together and also put a new fender selector in cos the Squire ones are plastic as opposed to metal) and now I genuinely prefer the tone of it to an American Strat I have. Got the guitar for €60 and only bought it because it was purple, got the pickups shipped from the states (couldn't get them here at all) and then paying for all the wiring and extra bits and bobs that went into the guitar the whole thing worked out at under €300. If you can, definitely try it!

Advertisement