Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone, eircom or other broadband in Drogheda?

Options
  • 24-09-2010 1:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭

Have a chance to get Vodafone broadband but not many people are with them so I'm unsure of their service.

Is anyone with them or know how they compare to eircom etc, (excluding digiweb, I can't see the hospital).

I need a good 3-8meg line with decent download limit.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    :)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

I'd go with Eircom even though they are more dearer than Vodafone.
    Since Vodafone took over BT's broadband services in Ireland, they have been giving a terrible service.
    I and others I know have had months of battles with them - when previously when with BT before the company service bought out changeover, BT's service was a hell of a lot better.

I am with Wimax for a year but when that contract runs out, I'll be switching to Eircom unless I hear ABSOLUTELY that Vodafones have gotten their act together.
    I (and others) have had that much hassle with them, I will be very reluctant to go with them again.
    For my own hassles with Vodafone, see here: http://unitedpeople.ie/news.html

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

Wow you can't argue with those points you brought up.

So in your opinion do you think there's anyone else that comes close to eircoms service?
    Girfriend had wimax and thought they were terrible so it rules them out.

In the Louth area, your really limited to very few companies. So honestly as much as it pains me (and it will eventually) I'd be going with Eircom.
    At least till a new viable alternative comes along. Sadly that won't happen till the phone lines we have in the country are seriously upgraded and thats not going to happen for some time.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭thecons

Steer clear of Imagine Wiimax! We;ve been an imagine customer for years with no probs. Moved to Wiimax in May/June and it's all gone pear shaped! Would love some suggestions on who to move to (providing I can get out of my contract!) Any advice would be appreciated!

thecons wrote: »
    Steer clear of Imagine Wiimax! We;ve been an imagine customer for years with no probs. Moved to Wiimax in May/June and it's all gone pear shaped! Would love some suggestions on who to move to (providing I can get out of my contract!) Any advice would be appreciated!

What speeds are you getting?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭ssmith6287

I used to work for Harvey Norman and the amount of custmers I got asking to re-sign with eircom was unreal. I'm with eircom now in drogheda and getting roughly 7mb with evening and weekend calls for 50€, not bad like. That WiMax thing is a load of rubbish

• Registered Users Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭positron

With Vodafone at the moment, and waiting for the right deal to switch to eircom. Unfortunately I was out of the country when Hardly Normal had that eircom deal with PS3, now waiting for something like that to come back..!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭ingen

Biggins wrote: »
    In the Louth area, your really limited to very few companies. So honestly as much as it pains me (and it will eventually) I'd be going with Eircom.
    At least till a new viable alternative comes along. Sadly that won't happen till the phone lines we have in the country are seriously upgraded and thats not going to happen for some time.

in Drogheda with Eircom, they are a complete joke.

there is an exchange a lot closer to me , that would allow me to get a much faster speed, but they will not connect me to it.

if a decent alternative comes along i will leave eircom.

its amazing that they installed a new exchange for grange rath!
    if you live in grange rath you can get 20mb broadband!!
    the vast majority of drogheda cannot get more than 3mb broadband with eircom

ingen wrote: »
    its amazing that they installed a new exchange for grange rath!
    if you live in grange rath you can get 20mb broadband!!
    the vast majority of drogheda cannot get more than 3mb broadband with eircom

Brown envelope given to eircom by the developers id guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭ssmith6287

doesn't matter what supplier you use, theyre all eircom lines! If you're with vodafone and you need something done you are paying eircom and vodafone

Grange rath is like the biggest housing estate in ireland, of course they needed a new exchange! imagine they put it on the drogheda exchange!

The NGB is great though, like i said 7mb for €50 + free setanta which comes in handy (rugby fan)

• Advertisement

Thanks for all your help guys, :)
    I just ordered the 7mb eircom line and they said im just outside the NGB area so i should be upgraded to it in january, they said at present ill get a maximum 6meg line which they said was coming up quite clear (?).

I have a netopia router already but didnt tell them that, if i connect it up should it work before i get the new one in the post?

CMpunked wrote: »
    ...I have a netopia router already but didnt tell them that, if i connect it up should it work before i get the new one in the post?
    No (for a number of reasons), to begin with, the one you will get from Eircom will have on the bottom of it your internet access security number/code.
    The one you have at the moment will not be able to bypass this i.p. assigned protection alone.

Biggins wrote: »
    No (for a number of reasons), to begin with, the one you will get from Eircom will have on the bottom of it your internet access security number/code.

Of course, i should've remembered that.

Cheers Biggins. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭qc3

I just ordered the 7mb eircom line and they said im just outside the NGB area so i should be upgraded to it in january, they said at present ill get a maximum 6meg line which they said was coming up quite clear (?).

I have a netopia router already but didnt tell them that, if i connect it up should it work before i get the new one in the post?

You will be able to use it with your new service.I switched from eircom to wi max,which was crap, only to ring them back 3 days later to see could i cancel my cancelation. It was too late, so they had to set me up again.Sent me out a new router, which seem to make the signal strenght jump up and down. I connected old netopia router up and it work great.

qc3 wrote: »
    You will be able to use it with your new service.I switched from eircom to wi max,which was crap, only to ring them back 3 days later to see could i cancel my cancelation. It was too late, so they had to set me up again.Sent me out a new router, which seem to make the signal strenght jump up and down. I connected old netopia router up and it work great.
    You went I take it from Eircom, via Wimax, back to Eircom again.

CMpunked is going from back to them after cancelling any previous contract they might have had with them - after what I assume is a long period of time.
    In that case there is a good chance his I.P. address this time around will be different and the security code (SSID) or more commonly called "WEP key" will be different.
    He won't gain his new WEP key till the new box arrives so the one they have at the moment probably would be able to allow him to access the net - even though it might register by a green light, an incoming wireless signal.

By the way there is a further security risk to using the older Netopia boxes. It has to do with an internal setting.
    See here: http://s4dd.yore.ma/eircom/eircom-bs.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭ingen

yes it will work fine. eircom normally provision broadband very quickly.
    your current router will work fine.. just configure the wifi name and password and away you go.

plug in the router, and when you see the solid DSL light, and internet light on your ready to go!

The new wifi name and password however don't arrive till they get the arrival of the new box itself however!

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭qc3

the wifi name and password are belonging to the router.Once it's entered while that router is plugged in, it will work.

Advertisement