Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help !!!!!!

• 24-09-2010 1:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 42

Renting house and the lanlord refuses to answer the phone and text messages !

The house is damp as theres a leak in the attic and im asthmatic so my chest is in bits when im in the house. Also the sewrage pipe is busted and the man hole is cracked so its leaking all over the backgarden.

cooker doesn't work and the fridge is broken.

Please give advice on what we can do seeing as the landlord wont get in contact !!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭ebixa82

Move out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Cancel the standing order for the rent. Theyll be in touch soon enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Do you have an address for them? Send a registered letter, saying you want the stuff fixed by X date, if not, you will do it yourself/ get repair men in, and will deduct cost from rent.

If no address, I would be tempted to withold rent as suggested above, but not sure that is legal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

Your landlord's phone might be broken or lost. How long have you been trying to get in touch and does the phone ring when you call it?

silja wrote: »
    Do you have an address for them? Send a registered letter, saying you want the stuff fixed by X date, if not, you will do it yourself/ get repair men in, and will deduct cost from rent.

If no address, I would be tempted to withold rent as suggested above, but not sure that is legal.

It might not be legal, but by the sounds of it the OP has some very genuine and serious concerns regarding the property which they are paying money for, and given that they are unable to contact the landlord to have the problems rectified I dont see why they should continue to pay the money tbh.

That and the fact that witholding the rent is probaby the quickest way to get the landlord to get in contact with you!!! :p

• Advertisement

OP how long have you been attempting to contact the landlord for? Is it possible that they might have gone away on holidays without their phone (very unprofessional but possible nonetheless)? Has this sort of thing happened before with them; have you needed to contact them in the past or is this the first real issue youve needed to contact them about?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 form

Report landlord to The PRTB, ( private residents tennancy board)you should have filled in one of these forms when you were moving in ,send landlord reg letter too. There are loads of Property to rent that is in good condition, dont pay your months rent instead of waiting for deposit back, but only after you have sent reg letter.The majority of landlords care about the condition of the property and the service they are providing, you are paying for this service and should expect a good standard of living.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,339 ✭✭✭convert

The house should be in an 'inhabitable' condition, with no evidence of damp. Did you look at the house before you moved in, or take photos of it? Was there any sign of damp then? Or has this only started since it's started to rain a lot more than during the summer?

Regardless, you should contact the PRTB and seek their advice. It would also be a good idea to have a list of all the times, dates, etc. when you tried to contact the landlord, so that you can show how long it's been going on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 caroiline

Thanks for the help :).

I am entitled to my deposit back i rang the renting agency so gonna do that.

Yep i looked and everything seemed perfect! sometimes ya just dnt know on looking plus there is only so much you can see when viewing.
    :)

Advertisement