Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8

• 24-09-2010 1:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭

Has anyone got this or used one before?

I'm thinking of picking one up when I head to America next month. I'm looking to pick up a lens for doing the odd bit of shooting in nightclubs etc and wondering if this lens would suit. Sports is my main area so not looking to get anything too expensive for doing the other stuff.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

Here's a review for the Nikon version...

http://www.photozone.de/nikon--nikkor-aps-c-lens-tests/315-sigma-af-18-50mm-f28-dc-ex-macro-review--lab-test-report

Another option is the excellent Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di II

If you need a little more zoom have a look at the Sigma 17-70mm f2.8 too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 325 ✭✭iamnothim

I have one of these. Great lens. Good in low light, really cool macro/close focusing. Only downside is reliability, something i've found with all sigmas i've owned. After about 6 months, the zoom packed in. still works and focuses, but it's stuck at 18mm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

iamnothim wrote: »
    I have one of these. Great lens. Good in low light, really cool macro/close focusing. Only downside is reliability, something i've found with all sigmas i've owned. After about 6 months, the zoom packed in. still works and focuses, but it's stuck at 18mm.

Stupid Q maybe, but are you sure you just don't have the zoom locked?

I have this lens too it's a great multi purpose lens, although obviously not much going for it in the focal length department. It's great in low light situations and also great value for money compared to some of its equivalents.

Oh and it comes with a lens hood which is a nice little bonus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Super lens and never had any problems with it, maybe as above the lock is on

Advertisement