Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

German Jiu Jitsu

• 24-09-2010 1:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 40

mise aríst,

I was just wondering, has anyone any thoughts/experiences with german jiu jitsu? Dont think there many clubs knocking around in Ireland but theres one in college. How similar/different is it to trad/brazilian jiu jitsu? also out of curiosity, what belt to you have to get to before you have to compete for a grading?

go raibh maith agaibh

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Doug Cartel

It's not much like BJJ at all, which is almost entirely done on the ground. German JJ does include some ground fighting, but it also has striking and standing grappling.

It's more like trad JJ, but with live sparring and no kata, also the punches and kicks are closer to boxing/muay Thai than the karate style ones you get in most JJ styles. They seem to do a lot of standing joint locks as well.

I don't think you need to do any competition to grade, but I'll have to ask. Really though, you should just come down on Wednesday and see/ask for yourself. (I assume you're TCD given we're the only place in Dublin that does it.)

Also you should check out the judo, because it is ultra-awesome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭flynny51

On the off chance you're at college in Cork. We train Mondays and Tuesdays 9 - 10.30pm in Hall 1 of the Mardyke. We don't have gradings (no affiliation).

Dougs description is on the ball. I think the style also depends on your coach to be honest. German Jujutsu is very broad and has elements from many different martial arts. Not all clubs teach the more modern styles. Parts from Eskrima, BJJ and a few others were only officially incorporated into the curriculum recently so not all coaches would be familiar with these techniques for example and would have an under developed ground game. I know Lars teaches no-gi. We only practice gi.

Are you training with Lars Doug or just through judo? I think we're calling up for a training session and vice versa.

flynny51 wrote: »
    Are you training with Lars Doug or just through judo? I think we're calling up for a training session and vice versa.

I do the odd jujutsu session, but I'm mainly a judo man. Our judo and jujutsu classes are run by the same club though.

As for the no-gi stuff, as far as I know that's not standard to German Jujutsu, and was just something they were doing over the summer. I think during term-time the classes will be in judo or BJJ gis. (At least to start off with.)

Ok, just got word that there's no competition requirements to grade, and the gradings are fully recognised by the German Jujutsu Federation.

Also, there will be no-gi training on Fridays for advanced students.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭King of Kings

is this only on offer in Trinity?

• Advertisement

is this only on offer in Trinity?
    If you're asking if our coach has classes outside Trinity, then no.

If you're asking if non Trinity people can take part, as far as I know you only have to be a member of Trinity gym.

The only other German Jujutsu place I know of is in UCC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭flynny51

http://jujutsu.ucc.ie

Hey Doug,

did you go to the grading a few weeks back? We sent a few from our club up to be graded with Lars' students.

To the best of my knowledge that was the first German Jujutsu grading in Ireland!

did you go to the grading a few weeks back? We sent a few from our club up to be graded with Lars' students.
    No, I wasn't there. I'm afraid I've only got time for judo these days, and even then I'm not making all my classes.
    To the best of my knowledge that was the first German Jujutsu grading in Ireland!
    First one recognised by the Hessian Jujutsu Federation - with an examiner flown in from Germany and official certs and everything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭TrollHammaren

http://jujutsu.ucc.ie

Hey Doug,

I was at it - the one with Lars, Stefan, and Anna. Great success, we're hoping we can organise something similar in the next term.

Advertisement