Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xecuter NAND-X Difficulty?

• 24-09-2010 1:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭

I am gonna be receiving a 360 soon that has RROD, i'm gonna fix it but was thinking of doing a JTAG on it then, it has the old blades dashboard and hasn't been switched on in over 2 years so it'll definitley be able for it.

I was looking at the Xecuter NAND-X product for doing the JTAG, it seems fairly straight forward and has everything in it for the task at hand. I was wondering how hard it would be to use? I have no soldering experience at all at the moment but i just bought a soldering iron and wil be practising beforehand on some old motherboards from dead 360s that i've accumulated. Even if i balls it up, i haven't really lost out on anything as the xbox is free.

What do you think?

Here's the link to the product anyway -

http://www.modtraders.co.uk/xecuter-nand-x.html

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I am gonna be receiving a 360 soon that has RROD, i'm gonna fix it but was thinking of doing a JTAG on it then, it has the old blades dashboard and hasn't been switched on in over 2 years so it'll definitley be able for it.

I was looking at the Xecuter NAND-X product for doing the JTAG, it seems fairly straight forward and has everything in it for the task at hand. I was wondering how hard it would be to use? I have no soldering experience at all at the moment but i just bought a soldering iron and wil be practising beforehand on some old motherboards from dead 360s that i've accumulated. Even if i balls it up, i haven't really lost out on anything as the xbox is free.

What do you think?

Here's the link to the product anyway -

http://www.modtraders.co.uk/xecuter-nand-x.html

Seems like a quality product. Very handy if your going to be doing multiple jtag's certainly. But if like me your doind your own just, I got along happily without it. Part of the fun for me was doing everyhting by hand, the lpt-rj45 lead etc. It's not difficult soldering wise, but definitely you'll need some practice on the dead stuff. Once you get the knack of it, you'll fly along.

The big advantage to the nand-x is of course the speed of the read/write flash process. The lpt method takes an age, but once I was done writing to the nand, I never had to use the cable again (as it can all be done from XBR or whatever Kernel you choose form then on).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Brilliant, cheers for the quick reply!

I was thinking of getting that cos i wouldn't need diodes or resistors or any of that stuff, i don't think there's anywhere near me that sells that kind of stuff anyway. Also my PC doesn't have an LPT socket and i heard there could be problems with a pci LPT card. Is it possible to build a usb solution instead?

From looking at the installation pics, I'd say there's as much or little involved in using diodes as fitting the little daughter boards that come with this. I've never used one or seen one in person, but that's my first impression. As I said, for multiple jobs it's prob without a doubt the way to go though. All your doing with diodes as linking point a to point b with a diode in-between, I suppose this takes out that end of it.

You can make a USB based reader, I think do-centore did one. Looks do-able but I think he (or someone) here had issues with oscillator speeds etc. I'd quicker but the above if USB is a must for you. Regards pci/e LPT cards, I've no idea. Mine doesn't have one either so I used an antiquated laptop.

There's a great shop on south Bakalakadakka Street that does all the electonics you need :p Where are you based? I've a bunch of diodes left over form my install, as I could only buy certain quantities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

EnterNow wrote: »
    From looking at the installation pics, I'd say there's as much or little involved in using diodes as fitting the little daughter boards that come with this. I've never used one or seen one in person, but that's my first impression. As I said, for multiple jobs it's prob without a doubt the way to go though. All your doing with diodes as linking point a to point b with a diode in-between, I suppose this takes out that end of it.

You can make a USB based reader, I think do-centore did one. Looks do-able but I think he (or someone) here had issues with oscillator speeds etc. I'd quicker but the above if USB is a must for you. Regards pci/e LPT cards, I've no idea. Mine doesn't have one either so I used an antiquated laptop.

There's a great shop on south Bakalakadakka Street that does all the electonics you need :p Where are you based? I've a bunch of diodes left over form my install, as I could only buy certain quantities.

I did and I didn't. I mean I managed to put it together, but it wouldn't work. I had it programmed and it was recognised correctly in Windows, but wouldn't see NAND.

As seems to be that usb connection is fine I'm going to use it for ps3 usb hack (can't stand the word jailbreak).

docentore wrote: »
    I did and I didn't. I mean I managed to put it together, but it wouldn't work. I had it programmed and it was recognised correctly in Windows, but wouldn't see NAND.

As seems to be that usb connection is fine I'm going to use it for ps3 usb hack (can't stand the word jailbreak).

Well there you go Bombleswizzum, if Docentore had trouble with it and gave up, it definitely means it's not for the faint hearted :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

*Edit* - I was totally shilling here, complete brainfart as it's not meant to happen on boards. Taking it elsewhere - sorry mods :)

I'm based in Letterkenny! :)
    Well there you go Bombleswizzum, if Docentore had trouble with it and gave up, it definitely means it's not for the faint hearted :D

Ah, sod that then!
    I'll sell you a cheap USB nand reader if you're interested - sorry about the shill, never thought about putting it on adverts tbh.

What else would i need in addition to that for a JTAG?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Tell me the model of your console - Xenon, Falcon, Zephyr or Opus - and I will include everything you need along with the USB reader. Happy to help another DIYer

Tell me the model of your console - Xenon, Falcon, Zephyr or Opus - and I will include everything you need along with the USB reader. Happy to help another DIYer

Cool, i'm not gonna have it for another week maybe. I'd say it's either a Xenon or Falcon going by the time he bought it anyway.

How much we talking for everything?

Cheers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

nah, I was just lazy and bought had LPC2148 board on order. Probably I missed connection somewhere but didn't have motivation to fix it or rebuild it.

It is actually quite simple device, but some experience is necessary. I think I have another spare chip somewhere so I might build another one just for the craig.

• Advertisement
Advertisement