Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CCTV Footage

Options
  • 24-09-2010 1:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭

Hi,

Does anybody know how long Dublin City Council keep CCTV Footage for, I would be looking to see about view footage from back in Nov 2009?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,510 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

contact them and ask?

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭GampDub

I've tried their website but can't seem to find the right area to ring!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭apoeiguq3094y

GampDub wrote: »
    Hi,

Does anybody know how long Dublin City Council keep CCTV Footage for, I would be looking to see about view footage from back in Nov 2009?

Would there not be some data protection / privacy problems with someone looking at footage?

I'd imagine any request for footage would have to come through very specific channels, i.e. the gardai if it was crime related, or a university which has done an ethical review of the request if it was for research.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,510 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Would there not be some data protection / privacy problems with someone looking at footage?

I'd imagine any request for footage would have to come through very specific channels, i.e. the gardai if it was crime related, or a university which has done an ethical review of the request if it was for research.

no, see this post in C&T for details about accessing CCTV
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=68037330&postcount=15

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭ollaetta

The only CCTV cameras owned by the Council are the traffic ones and these do not record any footage.

The ones you see around Temple Bar etc. are either privately owned or operated by the Gardai.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭cozski

...this may have been true some time ago (although I suspect not) but DCC now operate many cameras around the city that are there for the primary purpose of estate management. They also have many cameras providing surveillance around flat complexes and within flat complexes. These are all passive monitoring systems and can only be accessed (allegedly) by Gardai who themselves have to put in a special request to see the recorded images(allegedly). Getting a definitive list of where these are located is proving difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

cozski wrote: »
    Getting a definitive list of where these are located is proving difficult.
    I can't imagine the council sharing the list with people. It would open the cameras up to abuse and give ne'er-do-well an advantage.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭cozski

They certainly don't want to share them but I think people have a right to know where the local authority is carrying out surveillance. I suspect an Information Request is going to be the only way though. Interesting that in the UK only 3% of convictions are secured due to CCTV evidence - for the most monitored country in the world that's a pretty appalling statistic in support of CCTV.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Package

so to rehash an old thread.

if i had a crash at the red cow road 3 years ago, the traffic footage would be well gone??

• Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Package wrote: »
    so to rehash an old thread.

if i had a crash at the red cow road 3 years ago, the traffic footage would be well gone??
    Most likely, but the only way to find out is to ask.

• Advertisement
Advertisement